Which files does Cave Editor use?

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:53 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
And I mean all of them. In a list, with the extensions, please.

I wanna stop this problem I have right now.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:16 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Huh?

Whaddya mean?
It takes what Cave Story uses, .PBMs for sprites.
Which are really just renamed .BMPs... {With the (C)Pixel ending, of course}
The other files, like .PXE or .TSC, are used by rooms.
There's not really anything else it would accept...

Are you having trouble with the images or something? Have you tried re-downloading Cave Editor, making sure you have the latest version?

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:42 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Yes, I've tried redownloading it. Twice. No image in the editor will load, period. Not one. I'm asking if someone could look at the source code and tell me what I might be missing.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:07 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Eh?

I think you're taking things a bit too far...
Are you saying you're missing the extensions, or can't support them? Because that's not possible.

The only problem that I can think of that comes close to matching your's is when Dooey was accidentally using an older version of Cave Editor; are you using version 0.95?
And, just to double-check things, you're not opening the EXE in an empty folder, are you?
If, for say, the Data folder isn't in the same folder as the EXE, Cave Editor wouldn't have any images to load....
Then again, you said Sue's loaded them, right? So the folder's probably in the right place....
And you're using a clean EXE? One that Sue's Workshop hasn't touched, yet?
I don't think that's the problem, but it doesn't hurt to be safe....

And randomly delving into the source code will not help things, since we have no idea what the problem even is.
Now that I think of it, mayhaps it's your computer or something on it that's messing with Cave Editor? No one else seems to have ever had this problem, before...
Not that I have any idea on how to test this thought....

Hmm, got any more details? The files your using, perhaps?

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Lowell, try reading my fucking posts before/while you type yours.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
I think you're taking things a bit too far...
Are you saying you're missing the extensions, or can't support them? Because that's not possible.

Even Paint can open .pbms for me, so they're completely supported.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
The only problem that I can think of that comes close to matching your's is when Dooey was accidentally using an older version of Cave Editor; are you using version 0.95?
I already said I redownloaded the damn program twice. Recently. I have the latest version.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
And, just to double-check things, you're not opening the EXE in an empty folder, are you?
VoidMage_Lowell said:
If, for say, the Data folder isn't in the same folder as the EXE, Cave Editor wouldn't have any images to load....

How stupid do you think I am?

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Then again, you said Sue's loaded them, right? So the folder's probably in the right place....
VoidMage_Lowell said:
And you're using a clean EXE? One that Sue's Workshop hasn't touched, yet?
I don't think that's the problem, but it doesn't hurt to be safe....

Sue's does not make the .exe unusable by CE.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
And randomly delving into the source code will not help things, since we have no idea what the problem even is.
The problem is that the images won't load inside the editor. Here's a fucking picture that I took a month or so ago.

diph.php

Clear everything up? Yes? GOOD.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Now that I think of it, mayhaps it's your computer or something on it that's messing with Cave Editor? No one else seems to have ever had this problem, before...
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Not that I have any idea on how to test this thought....

Hmm, got any more details? The files your using, perhaps?
I'm downloading the Cave Story Deluxe pack right now from the tribute site, mirror 1, and redownloading CE again just to prove that it's most likely files I don't have.

And guess what? It's still a grey blank area wherever there's supposed to be an image loaded from a .pbm!

I think looking at the source code to see every file CE loads and uses would be the easiest way for me to do this. Then I could check if I have every file, and if I don't, then find the ones I need.

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Sheesh

Sheesh, why don't you read MY posts?
No one knows what the hell's wrong, no one's apparently even had this problem before, and you gave very little detail about what your problem exactly is, so I've been reduced to guessing.
All I've tried to do is help you out as best as I can, and you act like a complete asshole...
OK, figure it out yourself. I don't think anyone else wants to help you.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:39 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Yeah it looks familiar to me too. The background problem was solved buuut... this isn't the background problem :/ I've never really used CE so all the advice I can offer is for you to run a search and see what comes up.

Can we maybe get someone in here who actually uses CE to help with this or not?

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:02 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I searched for it on this forum and google, and nothing turned up.

If someone would just check the source, then I'd be happy. =\

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:04 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Giga said:

The problem is that the images won't load inside the editor. Here's a fucking picture that I took a month or so ago.

diph.php

Clear everything up? Yes? GOOD.

That sort of thing happens in Sue's Workshop when you use a version of Sue's Workshop that reads .pbm maptile sheets (Sue's Workshop 0.3A) to read a game that uses sprite/maptile sheets in the .bmp format and vice versa.

Could it be that your images are in the wrong format?

Edit - I'm only saying this on a notion, 'cause i never actually used CE before. I prefer Sue's Workshop 0.3C (reads .bmp) :3

And btw, you can convert Sue's Workshop 0.3A to 0.3C by just changing the hex strings "pbm" to "bmp" in the Sue's Workshop.exe using a hex editor. Maybe it works the same way with CE?

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:16 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
In CE, they auto detect if you are using .pbms or .bmps. :eek:

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:13 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
The link to the source code is dead (just checked), and I don't know who still has it. SP probably does though, you could ask him.