Where or how to get numberdata?

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:42 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hey, long time no see!

I want to make a fangame. Or well, give it a shot (I probably won't get far but hey who knows?).

The problem is, I don't know Assembly, so I have a better chance of remaking the "Cave Story Engine" in the language I'm comfortable with. Now you might think that's crazy talk. I agree. But it's a challenge, and if I fail or not, I will learn more about programming either way. And that is the endgoal.

So now the problem, I don't know any of the important numbers. What speed does Quote walk with? How high does he jump? Or an easier one: How far is the game zoomed in? (If some of these could already be answered that would be great). So.. is there a way to get that data?

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:05 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If you know lua, it would be best to wait for the Geobox Engine. If not, learn assembly. It isn't completely impossible, as I figured it out. Other than that, just look at the game. Numbers won't mean anything, as Cave Story has it's own sort if feel, defined by it's own engine. If you want to be really precise, you would have to know assembly, and know Cave Story's inner workings, to even make sense of the numbers.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:35 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Bionicobot said:
If you know lua, it would be best to wait for the Geobox Engine. If not, learn assembly. It isn't completely impossible, as I figured it out. Other than that, just look at the game. Numbers won't mean anything, as Cave Story has it's own sort if feel, defined by it's own engine. If you want to be really precise, you would have to know assembly, and know Cave Story's inner workings, to even make sense of the numbers.
Oh wow! I didn't know about the Geobox Engine, and it sounds awesome. I might use that instead. And you're right, I might be trying to be too perfect here (too soon as well).

You don't need to know assembly to make a fangame.
What DO I need?

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:46 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
a pure heart and some autism

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:01 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Noxid said:
a pure heart and some autism
I got one of those, so that's a good start.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:12 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Bionicobot said:
Actually, as far as I know, the Geobox Engine got canceled when Beta/Fluffy's computer got hit with a rootkit, and he lost 2 months of work on it.
The current version (or maybe whatever version I have) is the most up to date thing it's likely to ever be.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:32 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
hate9 said:
Actually, as far as I know, the Geobox Engine got canceled when Beta/Fluffy's computer got hit with a rootkit, and he lost 2 months of work on it.
The current version (or maybe whatever version I have) is the most up to date thing it's likely to ever be.
I heard from him that he mostly recovered everything from that. That's not the issue. Life hit him hard recently and he doesn't have the free time he once did, so progress has slowed. It's mostly done, all that's left is documentation, bug fixes, and the like.

http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/194138/

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2015 at 12:35 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
there's always NXengine

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:19 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
andwhyisit said:
I heard from him that he mostly recovered everything from that. That's not the issue. Life hit him hard recently and he doesn't have the free time he once did, so progress has slowed. It's mostly done, all that's left is documentation, bug fixes, and the like.

http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/194138/
Oh wow, I didn't know that!
Glad to see he got the stuff back, though it sucks that his life's so rough right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 17, 2015 at 4:04 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
hate9 said:
wat