What's new in Cave Story Deluxe update?

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Just noticed that the deluxe package is updated. Anyone has any idea what's new or what's updated in the package? It was previously a 42MB download, now it's 67MB

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
e: i'm dumb

It's been basically redone. No longer contains Sue's Workshop but BL and CE instead, maybe some more artwork and music. Better ikachan translation, updated links, newer version of orgmaker.

it's just better.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'm Guessing the same thing ever since sue's workshop was depreciated. I remember when I couldn't even understand sue's workshop. :rolleyes:

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well if filesize is a concern I could add a soundtrack-less version of the deluxe package, or would it be better to make the soundtrack a separate download and remove it from the deluxe package entirely? Because that's where most of the filesize is.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Professional Whatever
I don't think it should be a problem to take out the soundtrack since it's probably not going to be used by the majority of downloaders. It can't be hard to download another file from the site, and if it adds space, why not?

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:18 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well I was wondering why there is no release notes section, if there is an update? It would have been easier for us to follow the updates then

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Well there was a thread as I said but it'd be tough to find without knowing what you're looking for. It's called Let's Depreciate Sue's Workshop, and the updates are in the last page or so

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I should note that I did put the changes from the original in the readme pdf. It's not a changelog in the traditional sense but it does the job.

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well... I'm not so Sure. But If I do see any Differences between Freeware and Freeware Deluxe Cave story, I'll let you Know.

Attachments

• Quote.jpg
    Quote.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
SnowB34R said:
Well... I'm not so Sure. But If I do see any Differences between Freeware and Freeware Deluxe Cave story, I'll let you Know.
Are you implying that we wouldn't know what we put into the Deluxe package?

also there is nothing changed about the game itself.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Alrighty. CSDX is now down to 3.6MB. I removed the soundtrack and it now gives the option to download and install the Java runtime via an online installer if it is not installed on the system.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Why did you remove the soundtrack? Was the soundtrack any different to the soundtrack in the original CS? Now is the Deluxe version now, just an english patched CS?

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I'm thinking that with the extra filespace and some start menu rearrangement (subfolders) I could go ahead with the "throw all Pixel-related games into CS Deluxe" notion expressed earlier on in the Depreciate Sue's thread. Does anyone still wish to do this?

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:42 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dunc2403 said:
The soundtrack was not different, he removed it because filesize, there's a lot more than just that, which you'd see if you install it
Could you tell me what's more? I mean new soundtracks at different stages??

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Professional Whatever
Okay let me just download and install this damn file so you can see what's so important

- Balrog papercraft template
- Booster's Lab
- Cave Story icons
- Cave Story artwork
- Cave Editor
- The game
- The other game (ikachan)
- Java installer
- Orgmaker
- Link to site
- MIDI soundtrack (zipped) (I can't be assed to open that)
- Readme
- Uninstaller

...Speaking of the deluxe package, if it's not going to be updated anymore, would it be an issue to publish a .zip version of the package? Some people (like me) hate installers and would rather just unzip a folder.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Been here way too long...
I know I got hoodwinked pretty badly when I started modding Cave Story in Program Files. The installer should really give you the option of putting it in the C:\ directory, even though I hate it when installers do that.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
andwhyisit said:
I'm thinking that with the extra filespace and some start menu rearrangement (subfolders) I could go ahead with the "throw all Pixel-related games into CS Deluxe" notion expressed earlier on in the Depreciate Sue's thread. Does anyone still wish to do this?
I think it's a fine idea, but to prevent hoodwinking users, it should be made a separate download. Unless that would cause problems?...