What is this I don't even

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:11 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Okay so I just got a new computer and for the most part it's much better than my old one, but it must have a screwey sound card or something because track 0 always sounds horribly distorted when I play orgs (it doesn't matter if I use orgmaker 134, orgmaker 205, or the CS engine, it's always the same). To give you an idea, when I try to play this org, it sounds like this which it clearly shouldn't. All of the other tracks sound fine; only track 0 is messed up, and I've noticed that Pixel frequently did not use track 0 in the music for Cave Story. I'm wondering if there's any sort of assembly hack that can be done to fix this.

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:36 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That is very odd, certainly doesn't sound like the normal cutoff issue that occurs with wave 0.

Try turning off hardware/sound acceleration or something, that's what fixed other people's problems right?

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:59 AM
Been here way too long...
Video and Music Driver update solved all my rollems w/ orgs, but new comp?
Also, lame. Thought this was gunna be the 100 breaker, which is why I looked. :)

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:54 AM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Well, Lace already said it, but it helped me and seems to have helped a few other people I told; for whatever reason your video drivers can affect this. Of course, I don't know if I ever had this specific problem, but on an old laptop I had an issue with orgs in game, in the soundtrack player and in orgmaker becoming desynched and kind of making a "fuzz" static noise randomly, after which the song would desynch even further usually. Video driver update fixed it, but I often wonder if certain video and/or sound cards have an innate problem that can't be fixed with driver upgrades, especially if the computer you're using in question has a less common video or sound card.

and then, just a single track being weird... yeah, i dunno.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM
graters gonna grate
Hmm, sorry if I'm an incredible noob, but how exactly does one go about doing those things you guys mentioned? For someone who's supposedly computer savvy, I can be surprisingly clueless about some things sometimes... :(

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:01 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
1. go into control panel/computer/system/device manager to see what you have for a video card and a sound card.

2. google "whatever the name of either card is" drivers. Like, if you have a geforce video card, "geforce drivers", then for the sound card

3. install, restart, hope it works?

sometimes you have to UNinstall drivers you already have installed first, though it sounds like you probably don't have any aside from what the computer came with. then again, that could be the problem... but /shrug

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM
google device doctor.
andpost big org pleaaaaaaaaase.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:48 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Oh, by the way, if you want to test if turning off hardware accel will work:

Go to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio Tab -> Sound Playback Advanced -> Performance tab -> Hardware Acceleration and set it to either 0 or 1 (Emulation or Basic).

Which is taken straight from the Tribute site troubleshooting page.

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM
graters gonna grate
Thanks carrotlord! That worked perfectly! :D

Lace said:
Also, lame. Thought this was gunna be the 100 breaker, which is why I looked.
What is this "100 breaker" of which you speak :confused:

EDIT: oh you meant the huge org I mentioned in the org thread? That won't be done for quite a while, sorry :(

(on a loosely related note, the ending credits music for WatS might also break 100K :eek: though that also won't be done (or even started, probably) for quite a while)