• DSi/EShop

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Cave Story 3d

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Also, I know that 3 years ago this topic was brought up, but I am creating a new thread so as not to bump a really old thread.

Freeware- Its free (clearly)

Cave Story+ on Steam-Better graphics, extra music, extra levels. Decent price ($10,) but you still can't beat free.

Cave Story for Wii-Essentially CS+, but costs a bit more.

Cave Story DSiWare/EShop (99.99999 percent the same game, so why bother.)-Almost exactly like freeware, but has a jukebox and the Cave Story+ translation. Costs 10 dollars. To me this had the best controls, but that's just my opinion.

Cave Story 3D- Modern graphics, finally available as a physical game.

So what do you think?

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I would say the WiiWare version because I really like the 2x res graphics, but I actually like the DSiWare version the most. It has the best version of the Hell speedrun challenge (although I haven't tried CS+'s version), and for some reason I enjoy how the game looks compared to the eShop version. I think it has to do with how everything is a little bigger on the DSi version. I don't at all care for the jukebox because there are plenty of more convenient ways to listen to the soundtrack, but it is neat to have for completion sake.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:42 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Tpcool said:
I actually like the DSiWare version the most. It has the best version of the Hell speedrun challenge
Y'know, I still haven't beaten Hell on that port (and it was the first version of Cave Story I've ever owned). I think I'm gonna go beat it.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The DSi version had (reportedly) the best hell challenge mode. The eShop version is essentially a stereoscopic 3D version of CS+ minus the new visuals and music, so it has all the CS+ extras such as Wind Fortress. Actually I believe it is the first time those extras have been playable in 1xRes.

As for thread bumping there is no problem with bumping a thread provided that you are not trying to continue some year-old conversation or post one-liners. In situations where you would normally create a new thread it is encouraged to use an old thread instead of creating a new one, but bumping a thread just to reply to some post from years back is what's not allowed, or to post spammy one-liners such as "bump". So yeah, you had every right to post that into the 3-year-old thread. I need to make those rules clearer.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
the eShop version is a bit different from the DSi version, Im not sure lumping those together is best. Nicalis and pixel even said they pretty much re-did it for the eShop to make it a more definitive version.

I've played freeware, steam, the retail 3DS version (lmao), and the eShop version. I definitely enjoyed the eShop version the most. Every soundtrack that isn't the original is just inferior imo. The game also handles extremely well. I wish beating Hell the normal way would unlock the different titles, but that's the only major difference. If anyone has managed to do hell in under 6 minutes without lifepot and missiles I could definitely use some tips lol....

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
I like the Cs+ and WII graphics, but I don't like the Wii's music, so CS+.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:28 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Freeware, because it's a classic.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Freeware of course :D

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Freeware was the best. It was classic, had sentimental/nostalgic value (to me) for being the original, had the best visuals and music. And it didn't have too many extra modes. I don't like extra modes because it made Cave Story feel too much like a game, whereas the original had no such modes and it didn't feel like just a game, it felt like an experience, an adventure, a montage of emotions, a legacy. I'm really emotional about Cave Story for doing so, so much for me. I would really love to thank Pixel with a long, heartfelt letter for everything.
Oops, sorry, that got a bit off-topic...

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Based Member
Ah, that time again. I've always been something of a freeware purist. Some of the new features in NICALiS' ports are cool, but none of them do the original justice due to being packed with glitches that shouldn't have made it past testing, unlike the original which has very few, and very hard to trigger, glitches. I also can't stand the NICALiS English translation.

I admit that 60 fps was the way Pixel originally intended the game to be played (he said that once in an interview), but I've always preferred the 50 fps frame rate. It just feels to me like the silkiest speed at which to be playing it; not too fast but not too slow. At 60 fps, it can be harder to make quick maneuvers with the Booster, and it's easier for players to get a faster Hell time with less effort, which I think is kinda cheap.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM
"..."
I don't really like the 2x res of CS+. it just doesn't feel right. But they all have some problems (besides freeware, never talk bad about freeware CS or I will find you and I will kill you) and are all good in different ways.

Anyone played CS 3D? Haven't played it yet and I'm considering getting it. Should I?

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
funwillfunwill said:
Anyone played CS 3D? Haven't played it yet and I'm considering getting it. Should I?

Don't. Just don't.

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Based Member
funwillfunwill said:
I don't really like the 2x res of CS+. it just doesn't feel right.
That's actually one of the strong points for me. I like the 2x res graphics, as well as the remastered soundtrack, even though I mostly prefer freeware. And also it's not quite as glitchy as some other ports, so it gets a stamp of approval from me, even if not quite all areas of it do the freeware justice.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:53 AM
"Huzzah!"
FREEEEEEEWAAAAARE!!!!!!

Although I do like the Cave Story Wii port, as that was the first version I ever played...

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:21 AM
"..."
Honestly I have found no bugs in any of the ports, although hear that CS 3D is pretty buggy (I haven't played it.)

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:32 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
CS 3D is a heap of garbage and was everything Cave Story wasnt supposed to be

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:00 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
As much as I LOVE the freeware game, I slightly prefer the 3DS eshop version of the game. It comes with just about all the extra content that the wiiware and steam version came with, and its on a handheld so you can play it virtually any time.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:04 PM
"..."
Personally I like the DsiWare version, but that may be because it was my introduction to Cave Story. Plus I prefer the control scheme to the PC version.

And what about unofficial ports/homebrew ports? Aren't those supposed to be garbage?

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Professional Whatever
I prefer playing cave story on my Sega dreamcast

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:36 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I prefer the DSi version, as the controls are quite nice (from playing it on a 3DS which has the weird circle pad thing), it runs at the original 50fps, and that's really all. It doesn't have the original translation but that doesn't really stop me from enjoying the game. 3DS eShop version is also really nice but I don't own it myself, I only played it on a friend's 3DS. Cave Story+ is nice, I love Danny Barranowsky's remastered music, the new graphics are pretty nice and even if you don't like them you can switch to the original's, but no matter what controller I use, I still prefer the 3DS controls.