What hex editor do you use?

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:27 PM
taifunbrowser
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"

There's no reason not to use xvi32.

The only thing that confuses people is that CTRL+G is where its at. once you find that magical hotkey, everything else is just fluff.

but its a great editor, very fast

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:06 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I like xvi32 myself, but I do wish it allowed me to compare two files. My dad has an ancient dos hexeditor called xtreegold or something like that. You are able to open two files side by side and compare them. If xvi had that, it'd be perfect.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:16 AM
taifunbrowser
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
hmm you can open multiple instances of xvi32 you know :D

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:34 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Well, that kinda works, but it's nice to have the files open side by side with all the differences highlighted.
Anyone use a hex editor that does that?

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:28 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Daniel G said:
I like xvi32 myself, but I do wish it allowed me to compare two files. My dad has an ancient dos hexeditor called xtreegold or something like that. You are able to open two files side by side and compare them. If xvi had that, it'd be perfect.

lol when i used dos like when i was about 6 years old i had xtree gold it was a easier way to view you files then using al the dos commands to get around
(i used it the most to play theme park :p )

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:49 PM
Hoxtilicious
XVI32 is teh best.

Daniel G said:
but I do wish it allowed me to compare two files.

Well, in my opinion there is no need for that :p

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:06 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
Well, in my opinion there is no need for that :p
I can guarantee it helps with hacking save files. You can easily see what changed between one save and the next one.
Although the CaveStory profile's have been hacked already, there are plenty of other games where no one has detailed the hacking of saves.
I'm also thinking that if I can get an editor that allows for comparing, I may be able to discover what offsets Runelancer had to change for the weapon effects.
XVI32 is very good, but it has one annoying non-feature that almost everyone can use. You can't scroll in the file, with the middle mouse button.

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:50 PM
Hoxtilicious
Daniel G said:
I can guarantee it helps with hacking save files. You can easily see what changed between one save and the next one.
Although the CaveStory profile's have been hacked already, there are plenty of other games where no one has detailed the hacking of saves.

Well this is the Cave Story forum lol

Daniel G said:
I'm also thinking that if I can get an editor that allows for comparing, I may be able to discover what offsets Runelancer had to change for the weapon effects.

Which won't work because:

1. Exe size is different
2. The exe is compressed

Anyhow I don't like it that you want to do this on runelancers exe. If you would really know about assembler and that stuff you could easily figgure it out alone... :p

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:15 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
Which won't work because:

1. Exe size is different
2. The exe is compressed

Anyhow I don't like it that you want to do this on runelancers exe. If you would really know about assembler and that stuff you could easily figgure it out alone... :p
I don't know anything about assembler and all that stuff. All I know is that if I change certain offset's in the .exe I can get certain things to change in game. If I knew the weapon effect offsets, I could easily change them to show different things.
Believe it or not, OriginalSin has a similar .exe to Cavestory(probably because it's a mod and not a completely new game;)) I would like to be able to see exactly how different it is. It could be that I'll be able to see just the stuff Runlancer changed and from there learn what offset's to use.

The exe is smaller simply because there's less information stored there. I'm guessing it's mainly the lack of maps.

As for being compressed, well if it doesn't work it's OK. I'll just have to find them some other way. The point is I really would like a hex editor that would compare two files for me, no matter how useless and worthless you're convinced it is.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:16 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
This is why having two monitors is awesome. :p

Oh, and no, you can't find the magical offsets to change weapons - it's a little more complex than that. He actually took the hex that you look at in the EXE and converted it to machine code, which is in essence a type of programming language (*The* language, in fact, that all programming languages are compiled into).

In all probability he had to either make the area of the code handling weapons bigger or smaller than it originally was, meaning your offsets will be meaningless. Furthermore, in order to do anything other than exactly copy what his weapons do, you will need to learn machine code. He didn't just change some offsets which loaded different effects, he coded the effects himself via machine code.

Offsets are not magical little numbers which can be changed on a whim, they're simply the location of values that may make existing code act differently. Runelancer didn't find the special offsets for weapons and change them, he wrote his own code for the weapons. If you really want to change weapons, or make a quality mod that is as unique as Original Sin, you're going to have to suck it up and learn assembly.

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:55 PM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
This is why having two monitors is awesome. :p

Oh, and no, you can't find the magical offsets to change weapons - it's a little more complex than that. He actually took the hex that you look at in the EXE and converted it to machine code, which is in essence a type of programming language (*The* language, in fact, that all programming languages are compiled into).

In all probability he had to either make the area of the code handling weapons bigger or smaller than it originally was, meaning your offsets will be meaningless. Furthermore, in order to do anything other than exactly copy what his weapons do, you will need to learn machine code. He didn't just change some offsets which loaded different effects, he coded the effects himself via machine code.

Offsets are not magical little numbers which can be changed on a whim, they're simply the location of values that may make existing code act differently. Runelancer didn't find the special offsets for weapons and change them, he wrote his own code for the weapons. If you really want to change weapons, or make a quality mod that is as unique as Original Sin, you're going to have to suck it up and learn assembly.

lol, which is kinda right. Offsets are something relative not something absolute.

Daniel G said:
As for being compressed, well if it doesn't work it's OK. I'll just have to find them some other way. The point is I really would like a hex editor that would compare two files for me, no matter how useless and worthless you're convinced it is.

Well, I think Hex Wizard is able to do this.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:18 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Interesting, thanks for the post osmose. I didn't realize that it was that complicated, mostly due to the fact that I've been able to change a few numbers and have all sorts of wierd things change.
@ShiningPhantom I'll look into hexwizard.