What games are you currently playing now?

Apr 4, 2005 at 12:59 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
What the title says.

Oh! And are you how are you enjoying the game or games that you are playing at the moment? (Of course, if you aren't enjoying a game, feel free to talk about why you are not enjoying it over at the GameFlaws forum as we could always use more dicussions like that over there)

I've been rather busy so I haven't had a whole lot of time to play as many of the game as I would like to, but there are a few that I am currently working on when time allows.

I guess the one game that I'm playing the most of right now is Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys for the Turbo Duo PC Engine via an emulator called Magic Engine. I'm a big fan of the Ys series and I recently learned of this title's existence. Apparently there are two Ys IV games, one that was made for the Super Famicom, called The Mask of the Sun and the other for PC Engine, The Dawn of Ys. Each are completely different games and most seem to agree that the Dawn of the Sun game is the better of the two and many claim it to be the best of the Ys games due to it's nostalgic content and returning character cast from the other Ys games. Both have been translated completely into English by using patches, however over at an Ys site I (try) to visit often called, Ancient Land of Ys where there is an English dubbing voice acting project that is still looking for those interested in participating in it. I've decided to try and participate in it for the sheer fact that the director of the project is a professor of electronic music and sound effects and he seems to know what he is doing in making it a successful fandub that sounds professional, or least semi-professional. And certainly better than the dubbing was of Ys VI for PS2. If you are an Ys fan and are interested in participating in the project, you should definitely check into it. Last I heard they were looking for more female voice actors for the most part.

Other than Ys IV, I'm trying to find time to pick up where I last left off in Shadow Hearts II for the PS2, or Shadow Hearts Covenant rather. Very interesting story and the battle system is quite enjoyable due to the customization of the Judgement Ring. The game also has many secrets and sidequests for the characters and more importantly, most of those are fun to complete.

Donkey Konga Jungle Beats for the Game Cube, where you can control Donkey Kong using the DK bongo drums. It is such an odd game, but very fun and very loud. I like the idea that there are many different methods of playing the game depending on your skill and clapping in order to stun enemies enough to jump on their back and then pounding on the drum to beat the !@%*# out of them never ever gets old.

Also playing Ape Escape: Pumped and Primed for PS2, which is basically a multiplayer tournament style game consisting of rounds using the familiar gadgets from the Ape Escape games. I've always enjoyed this series, now only if I knew more people who could play Ape Escape with me as this game would be the ultimate answer to Ape Escape fans looking to compete with each other.

Need to find time to start Xenosaga II and Metal Gear Solid 3 as well. I'd like to play them but I've not played enough of either of them to form a solid opinion yet.

-SkyeWelse

Apr 4, 2005 at 4:32 AM
Penguin Administrator
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Shin Sangoku Musou 4/ Dynasty Warriors 5 - I've been playing this one for a while now and addiciton has not stopped. All I have left to do is to finish the musou mode of characters I do not like. : ( The characters in the "OTHERS" category are the most undesirable to play as.

Dragon Quest VIII - I was on hiatus for a while, but went back to playing it more this weekend. The good old constant need of leveling up and lack of money is reminiscent of the classics. It is one of the most visually stunning world for a game. *loves the King* I finally got all the main characters in my party.

Radiata Stories - I finished the Elf version of the ending, but there is still the human one. The entire last third of the game is different depending on your choice of action. Currently on hiatus because of one impossible boss fight with something that looks like Marshmallow man.

Shadow Hearts II Director's Cut - Got it a few days ago after waiting for weeks from Play-Asia. New opening music video showed a racoon-like costume for someone, so I am hoping that I will find it. So far nothing new has been available while playing. Can't find a good faq to help myself guide through to not miss the new stuff.

Apr 4, 2005 at 6:43 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm pretty into MMORPGs now of days due to the socializing aspect of it. I kind of like the experience of walking through a some what dynamic viritual world where I can talk about just to anyone and to anything. Beside! I get to role-play as a smart mouth happy-go-lucky femme fatale that can open up a can of whoop-ass! :)

Currently I'm playing World of Warcraft as a level 32 Rogue in the role-playing server of Shadow Council. I'm having a pretty good time playing the game despite the frequent server problems, and the obnoxious PvP griefers that continue to ask the same ol' question of, "wut dos rp mean?" or simply harass us due to our choice of lifestyle. Quite surprisingly, in my opinion, the charater classes are pretty balanced as each class have their own strengths and weakness. Most importantly the game requires you to have some skill as you're given numerous class abilities that you need to manage or know when to use to be successful in combat. Yes, the game is still about the numbers, but if you don't know what you're doing you're going to end up eating dirt.

I've been playing God of War for the PS2 and I think I'm pretty close to the end. Its a game worth playing as it's a game unlike any other in today's age. The whole audio and visuals of the game scream out "EPIC!" As the controls are as smooth as a baby's bottom. You can make some pretty nasty combos on the unfortunate fools that meet along the way toward your quest of assassinating the god of war. [Comment] :: I am really quite surprised that SCEA made this game and not Nintendo as they not only put a lot of effort toward the eye candy but the controls itself. The controls, the interface, has been a major influence toward Nintendo's past and current developed games all thanks to Miyamoto-san's philosophy of the player's controls.

Pretty soon I'm going to get another MMORPG called Guild Wars that isn't your traditional MMORPG. There are no monthly fees, the whole game world is one big instance; meaning that only you appear in the game (unless you're in a party), the foundation of the game is streaming; kind of like streaming video as an example, and the entire game design is based on the player's skill and not the numbers. I heard about it last November in an issue of Computer Gaming World, and it sounds pretty interesting that I decided to pre-ordered it this last December. It comes out this month in the 28th.

I'm still trying to find time playing Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys and Xenosaga II (I kind of wish they made it into a movie instead of an RPG since after the first Xenosaga). I'm currently looking for a copy of Shining Tears due to the nostalgic facter. ^^;