VOIDLANDS (in-development CS-like game)

Jun 11, 2023 at 3:40 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
This is something I've been wanting to work on for ages, and now, finally, I'm making it a reality.​

This is VOIDLANDS.

Can't watch the video here? Direct link is here.

...Or at least, this is what VOIDLANDS is so far. This game is an in-development action-rpg speed-type platformer based on a webcomic I made, inspired by games like Cave Story (2004) and Pizza Tower (2023), with the former's inspirations being a lot more prevalent as of now. You are DG, (a stand in for me) on a quest to defeat the evil Blue, save the continent of Coloria, and find out your true self along the way.

As of now, the game's nothing but an engine tech demo, using a custom TSC-like scripting language called DGScript (which is pretty much just TSC with a few changes to work in a GameMaker setting,) but I'm planning on getting gameplay sorted out sooner or later. There's no playable demo, but once there is, I'll be sure to link it here.

If you want an actual devlog, by the way (like 6 minutes longer than this gameplay footage,) click here. It also shows some more indev features, such as an Inventory screen.

I hope you like what you see, and hope you'll stay tuned for whatever comes next for VOIDLANDS.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 3:45 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
i dont know if this should be in showcase or just the regular game development topic, mods please move to the regular topic if this doesnt fit here.

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:56 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
using a custom TSC-like scripting language called DGScript (which is pretty much just TSC with a few changes to work in a GameMaker setting,)
pdg2tsccomment.png

Well I hope you didn't just yoink my code with a decompiler but if I inspired someone (...to rip off the same thing I ripped off) thats kind of nice

Jun 13, 2023 at 8:02 PM
Well I hope you didn't just yoink my code with a decompiler but if I inspired someone (...to rip off the same thing I ripped off) thats kind of nice

lucky for you the creation of dgscript was pretty much done entirely by myself

in fact i didnt even think of dgscript being like rootscript until like, you mentioned it just now

really the parsing of dgscript works a lot like how cave story does (but in gamemaker instead of c++,) including 4 digit script arguments (instead of, what ive seen when i remembered looking through mtm2 in utmt, full ass names for shit)

i should prob make a comparison between the two, codewise lmao, see how much i subconsciously stole while developing the system