video game+

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:23 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
p204568-0-vewbqvs.png

Built from the ashes of Cave Story Engine 2, this new reimplementation of video game promises the most premium experience yet! All of the content from previous releases is here, alongside new characters, modes, accessibility options, and - get this - a render backend that doesn't suck!

FEATURES:
  • Runs on Cave Story Engine 2
  • True 16:9 aspect ratio
  • Pixel-perfect 2x upscale to 1080p
  • New challenge modes
  • More playable characters
  • Native Linux support included

p204568-1-tyztxg2.png

p204568-2-nfgiiew.png

p204568-3-pwgph0u.png

Download video game+ 3.0.2
Download video game+ 3.0.2 (Discord Mirror)

Soundtrack available on aarmastah.xyz and on YouTube

p204568-0-nrcsxlp.png

A high(er)-res game that you play on your personal computer device?!?
This is a newly updated version of the mid-2015 project I made, video game.
There are a ton of new things to check out, and older speedruns are (mostly) compatible.

ss1.png
p204568-6-ss2.png

Time Attack High Score: 1'11"0 (RareBeeph)
Shotgun Challenge High Score: 1'17"6 (RareBeeph)
Hard Mode High Score: 1'18"4 (RareBeeph)

Download:
video game deluxe v2.6
video game deluxe v2.6 (Discord Mirror)
p204568-3-odt5etm.png

This is a VIDEO GAME that you can PLAY on your COMPUTER?!?
You can press certain keys on your keyboard and ACTIONS will happen ONSCREEN!
How exciting!

This is a completed mod.

Screenshots:

p204568-4-5trs7jx.png

p204568-5-ppkbv3c.png

HIGH SCORE

v1.7
Download
Download (Discord Mirror)

Mods:

Donate
Please notify me of any bugs, glitches, or nitpicks. I worked very hard on this mod, and I want to make sure this is as enjoyable as possible.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2015 at 4:26 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I was involved in play testing this and I really enjoyed it. I didn't record my time but my best was rather speedy. Good job, Aar.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:47 AM
scrungy
There is one known bug:
You can obtain the Blade multiple times.
This will be fixed tomorrow in the V1.1 patch.
Thanks to Claoose for pointing it out.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:47 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is going to take some practice, and something to do to properly record my speedrun thanks to Windows 10 lagging up CS recordings for me, to put in my fastest time. The level layout does feel fair for a Time Attack.

Also, this is more canon than CSTSF Mod was.
p204571-0-07j8eb3.png

EDIT: Here's my time for my first attempt.

p204571-1-utoe9zh.png
I'll record if I do better.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:49 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I really enjoyed playing this video game on my computing device.
My favorite part was when I pushed buttons and things happened on-screen.

On a more serious note, the music was enjoyable and I liked the touch where everyone says something different upon starting a run. Note, I've only played through with Curly and Mega Man, so apologies if I'm wrong.

I'm also at a loss for how to record any attempts I make at Time Attack, seeing as I've never recorded anything before. If it matters, here's my current time:
p204572-0-nk3lqx4.png

EDIT: And after finding the Blade's location, I was able to shave off a massive amount of time.
p204572-1-eq9rlzq.png

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:12 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I'm to lazy to try harder, but I got 1:51.1 and I missed two jumps and didn't take the super shortcut.

I'm sure that below 1:40 is possible with shortcut, perfect platforming, and good mashing on the boss (with the blade?)

I like the mod a lot, 7/10

Edit: 1:49.0 with video evidence.

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:12 AM
scrungy
Well, it technically is tomorrow (where I reside), so I'll just post the update now.
Version 1.1 should now be live.

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:29 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

....................................................................................................
oh what sorry i couldnt hear you over the fact that HATEYOU PLAYS IMMEDIATELY AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME <3

~edit: I also noticed you cant enter the door at the end unless you talk to aar to save. Thats fine, but if you reset and reload the save you need to talk to aar again before you can enter the door even though you already talked to aar.

Uhh not sure if that makes sense but yeah =P just a nitpick other than that issgud im trying to get a decent time cause whynot

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:51 AM
scrungy
Gamecube Geek said:
~edit: I also noticed you cant enter the door at the end unless you talk to aar to save. Thats fine, but if you reset and reload the save you need to talk to aar again before you can enter the door even though you already talked to aar.
Hmm, that's rather strange. The problem does not occur on my end, so I'll go investigate right now.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:05 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
It's a shame that I have that previously-mentioned issue with recording because I managed to improve my time by quite a bit, as shown below:
p204577-0-y2ou34f.png

If needing the video is a matter of honesty, I can both understand and respect that. However, while I'm not insisting that you make exceptions, I can assure you that I wouldn't try to lie about my time.

Aar said:
Hmm, that's rather strange. The problem does not occur on my end, so I'll go investigate right now.
I ran into a similar problem, but it only happened immediately after unlocking Time Attack. When I restarted in the middle of my first Time Attack run, I had to save again before retrying. This stopped occurring once I beat Time Attack on that save for the first time.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:09 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
HOLY CRAP A VIDEOO GAMEMEMEEEEEM AKJ OAISJA:DKJAN :DKSH :SKHEW UF LWDSJ B:SN FSJDBS LDK WBLDJKWF KWJHD:KJSB HSKFH:SHFL "KFH :SKFKHDSHD:SJHS:FJSKLFH:SKHDSLKDWODWLDJ

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:09 AM
scrungy
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
It's a shame that I have that previously-mentioned issue with recording because I managed to improve my time by quite a bit, as shown below:
If needing the video is a matter of honesty, I can both understand and respect that. However, while I'm not insisting that you make exceptions, I can assure you that I wouldn't try to lie about my time.
I will probably remove the "video evidence" rule, yes.

I ran into a similar problem, but it only happened immediately after unlocking Time Attack. When I restarted in the middle of my first Time Attack run, I had to save again before retrying. This stopped occurring once I beat Time Attack on that save for the first time.
Very strange. I'm still looking into the issue (and creating a perfect save).

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:13 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
It said decompression failed. I guess Ill play it later :o

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:13 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Okay, I take that back. It seems like that happens whenever you try to start a run before saving. Just tried to do another run and came across that issue.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:18 AM
scrungy
Weetsy said:
It said decompression failed. I guess Ill play it later :o
It appears as if my site is having problems. Try obtaining a copy via the Dropbox mirror.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:25 AM
War criminal
Aar said:
I will probably remove the "video evidence" rule, yes.
Right when I just made a video on my fastest run so far. I'll upload my run anyways.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:41 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Last update before I head to bed:
p204584-0-blu1zml.png

I ended up losing around half a second to a second by bonking on the ceiling around the midpoint of the map before the boss, so I still have some room to improve.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:50 AM
"Huzzah!"
Great mod, loved it

but I found a couple bugs
a) attempted to play as megaman, first time I tried it had me play as aar, but then the next time it worked fine (maybe it's not a code error - the engine just has issues sometimes)

b) whenever I attempt playing as curly for timeattack, it shows the "..." message, and then says "fatal error"
here's a screenie of the error

Other than that I really like the mod and the effort you put into it (especially the custom soundtrack)

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:01 AM
scrungy
F_Deity_Link said:
Great mod, loved it
Thank you.

but I found a couple bugs
a) attempted to play as megaman, first time I tried it had me play as aar, but then the next time it worked fine (maybe it's not a code error - the engine just has issues sometimes)
b) whenever I attempt playing as curly for timeattack, it shows the "..." message, and then says "fatal error"
here's a screenie of the error
This is very very strange. I really am unsure what is causing these character swap issues.
The "fatal error" happens if you go in without picking a character, and I understand what broke that. I will fix that in version 1.2.

Other than that I really like the mod and the effort you put into it (especially the custom soundtrack)
Thanks. All the credits for the music are listed in Read.txt.

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:09 AM
War criminal
Okay, here's my fastest time so far. I'll go for total speedruns tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwCD2IzWsEs