unable to run the game after patching

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
hiho! when i first tried out cave story, i played the untranslated version and it worked fine. i read about the translation patch, but when tried to start the game after i had run the patch, nothing happened, the computer just ignored my orders. i downloaded the japanese version again and it did work, but after patching that too, the same error occured. i am using windows me und my pc is pretty f***ed up, but since the game works on it in japanese, i wonder what could be the problem. i'd really like to play in english so i can follow the story. can anyone help me please? thanks alot.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Tell us exactly how you went about patching it.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:57 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I downloaded both the .zip files, one containing the japanese cave story game and the other containing the cavestory translation installer + the orgview translation installer. After unpacking them, i tried out the unpatched version and it worked, then i opened the cavestory translation installer --> the patching wizard started. I clicked on 'next' twice until i got to choose the directory with the doukutsu.exe. I entered the correct path, pressed ok and 'next', then the wizard told me it was checking the path and seemingly judged it to be ok with the message that patching could be done now. I pressed 'next' again, the process started, and then it told me that everything was patched successfully and cave Story could be run now. However, it didn't work anymore after that.
I should add that I tried the patched and unpatched files on another, better computer (unfortunately it's not mine :p), and both versions seem fully playable there. The only solution I could think of would be a different patch, and even if something like that existed it might fail anyway. Some other propositions maybe?
thx for listening :)

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I think there's a "deluxe package" on the tribute site which contains an already translated version as well as some other CS related stuff. Have you tried using that?

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:52 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Great! The deluxe package works! Thank you all for your help, finally I can enjoy Cave Story! :D

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:29 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
No problem! :D