Tribute Site Update Poll #3: Video

How should video content be used?

• Video page with speedruns, playthoughs, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Single video of gameplay on an existing page on the site (about, home, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 17, 2008 at 6:58 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This one relates to video content.

Choose how you prefer video to be used on the site.

EDIT: For those who are unsure, option 2 is basically combining the Videos and Speedrun Records into one page.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:34 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
All the videos on one page.

Option 2.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:43 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'm confused between (1) and (2), but for me I want a vid section with subsecs and speedruns should be totally inside the vid sec, but add some links to speedrun faqs. The faqs are all distinguishing the speedruns from other vids.

So that way, which one is my option?

Edit: duh playthroughs also have walkthroughs, but I suggest those walkthroughs displayed section by section according to the part of the game the pt vid covers. e.g. vid is about grasstown, so below should be walkthrough for grasstown.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:48 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I feel that there should not even be any videos on the Tribute Site, ESPECIALLY speedrun videos.

No vidoes, because it would give away too many spoilers such that people who visit the site would know too much of the storyline, making them less interested in the game.

Also, especially not speedruns because it's The Sacred Grounds, a bonus which you can only access if you have taken the right path in the game. If a speedrun video were to be put up, they would, like I said before, get too many spoilers such that they would lose interest in restarting the game to get the different endings.

It's only obvious that you would start thinking that i'm contradicting myself as I supported the upload of screenshots to the site.

Well, screenshots don't give away as many spoilers as a video. This is mainly because it isn't animated, so gameplay method and movements are not shown in a screenshot. However, they are in a video.

And then you'll go on arguing that there are already speedrun videos on YouTube, so why not here?

Well, the reason we have a Tribute Site is because we want to promote the game, amirite (correct me if I'm wrong =X)? And since YouTube doesn't share the same purpose, I feel that whatever's on YouTube has completely nothing to do with this Tribute Site.

Furthermore, people who are new to Cave Story would not know enough of the game to be able to search for speedrun videos on Google, due to the fact that they would not even know what a speedrun is in Cave Story. However, they would at least know the name of the game, and with that knowledge, would search Google for "Cave Story". In doing so, it would lead the person to our Tribute Site. If the new player views the vids, then he would get too many spoilers and would lose interest in the game.

I feel that if videos are to be put up on the site, then the link that brings viewers of the site loaded with vids should first link the viewer to a warning page that notifies him/her of the spoilers the following page may contain.

Edit-

My Engeris be sucka.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:58 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Metalogz said:
I feel that there should not even be any videos on the Tribute Site, ESPECIALLY speedrun videos.

No vidoes, because it would give away too many spoilers such that people who visit the site would know too much of the storyline, making them less interested in the game.

Also, especially not speedruns because it's The Sacred Grounds, a bonus which you can only access if you have taken the right path in the game. If a speedrun video were to be put up, they would, like I said before, get too many spoilers such that they would lose interest in restarting the game to get the different endings.

It's only obvious that you would start thinking that i'm contradicting myself as I supported the upload of screenshots to the site.

Well, screenshots don't give away as many spoilers as a video. This is mainly because it isn't animated, so gameplay method and movements are not shown in a screenshot. However, they are in a video.

And then you'll go on arguing that there are already speedrun videos on YouTube, so why not here?

Well, the reason we have a Tribute Site is because we want to promote the game, amirite (correct me if I'm wrong =X)? And since YouTube doesn't share the same purpose, I feel that whatever's on YouTube has completely nothing to do with this Tribute Site.

Furthermore, people who are new to Cave Story would not know enough of the game to be able to search for speedrun videos on Google, due to the fact that they would not even know what a speedrun is in Cave Story. However, they would at least know the name of the game, and with that knowledge, would search Google for "Cave Story". In doing so, it would lead the person to our Tribute Site. If the new player views the vids, then he would get too many spoilers and would lose interest in the game.

I feel that if videos are to be put up on the site, then the link that brings viewers of the site loaded with vids should first link the viewer to a warning page that notifies him/her of the spoilers the following page may contain.

Edit-

My Engeris be sucka.
Erm... but what about ze pics? The original Pixel-made artwork I mean. Those contain a lot more spoilers than any video can give IMO because the only trailer that does exist (Chaddy's) currently is gameplay-based while the pics are plot-based. I remember spoiling a friend accidentally by showing him the Quote-Curly-Balrog pic. =|

Seriously though, there isn't much to spoil someone with except for cutscenes which I agree shouldn't be in a video that's put up. Speedruns are totally fine and rather important because as the primary source of solely Cave Story-devoted media, the Tribute Site needs to archive the skills of Chaddy and the like (with permission of the video-maker, of course).

Also, I'm 100% sure that andwhy or SP wouldn't add a video which gives away the endings or anything else that are there to be spoiled. Fact is, screenshots are actually more spoiling than speedrun videos because you need to include cutscenes in a screenie whereas you can just show l33t gameplay sk33ls in a video.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:05 PM
Luls
Roonil Wazlib said:
Erm... but what about ze pics? The original Pixel-made artwork I mean. Those contain a lot more spoilers than any video can give IMO because the only trailer that does exist (Chaddy's) currently is gameplay-based while the pics are plot-based. I remember spoiling a friend accidentally by showing him the Quote-Curly-Balrog pic. =|

Seriously though, there isn't much to spoil someone with except for cutscenes which I agree shouldn't be in a video that's put up. Speedruns are totally fine and rather important because as the primary source of solely Cave Story-devoted media, the Tribute Site needs to archive the skills of Chaddy and the like (with permission of the video-maker, of course).

Also, I'm 100% sure that andwhy or SP wouldn't add a video which gives away the endings or anything else that are there to be spoiled. Fact is, screenshots are actually more spoiling than speedrun videos because you need to include cutscenes in a screenie whereas you can just show l33t gameplay sk33ls in a video.

That's why I mentioned in the last part of me post that there should be a warning page before the actual vid page lodas... =X

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:35 PM
Luls
Roonil Wazlib said:
Why not just include the warning at the top of the video page with blue or red text instead of being a painful extra click in the ass?

Painful extra click in the ass is for people desperate for spoilers :D

That'll teach them!

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:24 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Metal got it right, yet it's not that hard to prevent spoiling.
Instead of extra painful clicks, make sub sub sub errwhatdoyoucallthosethings thing! It's like :
Vids
>section
>section
>SPOILER WARNING!!!! >REALLY!!!! >OMG DUN U UNDERSTAND!!??? >K I GIV U!!! >speedruns

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:51 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Don't worry, there won't be spoilers unless on purpose. Did you really think I would load hundreds of videos onto one page? There will be a page where you select your movie from, and at the top will be a spoiler disclaimer.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:54 PM
Hoxtilicious
No spoilers please, even not speedruns <_<;
Just a normal trailer :D

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:11 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
A tie? Well this sucks. I can't do much if there is a tie.

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:29 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Better now? :)

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:31 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator