Translating Cave Story & Ikachan into German

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:13 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello!

A friend of mine is acually translating Cave Story into German while I try to translate Ikachan.

Although were are alone with each game we proceed well somehow.
Cave Story's state at the moment:
- The graphics are translated
- The list of items is translated half
- The game itself is approx. translated until Grasstown

We also got Pixel's permission of translating Cave Story, so it is somehow official. :p

Ikachan then is very hard to translate, I think.
It is very short, but translated with very bad English, so I have to guess the original meaning and have to change a little bit, sometimes.
An Example: "the dish is emptied. the empty shelf goes back to the iron head"

What on earth is that supposed to mean?
Apparently it is "Mr. X" who eats all the stuff. But what is the empty shelf then? Why does it go back to the iron head, when the food comes from the warehouse?

If you oversee this I am at 2/3 of the game.

We also have a (German) website about Cave Story, which is not really filled with content, but you can see screenshots of the German Cave Story there:

The Mimiga Village

Feb 24, 2007 at 12:36 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I hope you guys dont mind if I write here in german... :p

Hallo,

lol nundenn einer meiner Freunde übersetzt grad Cave Story ins Deutsche, Ich werd ihm später auch noch helfen (z.b. Umlaute die sein System nicht kann), ich kann ihm nun schlecht sagen er soll damit aufhören da er schon einen großen Teil übersetzt hat, folglich wird es wohl 2 übersetzungen geben... Tut mir leid, aber ich seh da wohl keinen anderen weg <_<

Und wenn es schon eine Übersetzung gibt dann möchte ich dran beteiligt sein da ich deutscher bin und alles mögliche für Cave Story tun will (Dir ist es vielleicht schon aufgefallen das ich hier Moderator und Member mit den meisten Posts bin, da dies das beste Cave Story Forum ist das ich kenne (gruß an Skyewelse :p))

Nochmal zu Ikachan: Es gibt noch eine andere GUTE übersetzung such mal hier im Forum ;)

Vorschlag:

Vielleicht könnten wir uns auf eine Übersetzung einigen?

Da mein deutsch saugt (lol nich wirklich) gibs hier nochmal die englishe version des ersten textes:

Lol one of my friends is already translating Cave Story, I will help him with umlauts and another things, well but I dont will make him stop, because it would be a real pain to stopping a already big translation, so there would be 2 Translations, I'am sorry but I dont see another possibility...

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:11 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Gremlin said:
Ikachan then is very hard to translate, I think.
It is very short, but translated with very bad English, so I have to guess the original meaning and have to change a little bit, sometimes.
An Example: "the dish is emptied. the empty shelf goes back to the iron head"

What on earth is that supposed to mean?
Apparently it is "Mr. X" who eats all the stuff. But what is the empty shelf then? Why does it go back to the iron head, when the food comes from the warehouse?
Oh God. Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, do not work from that translation.

There was a much better version released. You can get it here.

Anyway, good luck with your Cave Story translation.

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yes, I will download that version...
I didn't know that such a version existed. :)

Thank you!