Torchlight

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:04 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Buy it. Play it. That's all I can say.

If you still don't believe me, HERE'S SOME LINKAGE:

OTHER VERY GOOD REASONS:

Wikipedia Article said:
Many reviewers compared the game to the Diablo series. Scott Johnson, podcaster and web-cartoonist, stated that it is "VERY much a Diablo lovers game". Adam Biessener of Game Informer stated that "the soul of Diablo hasn't been so ably captured in years," and The Escapist's John Funk wrote "Torchlight absolutely nails the formula that made Diablo so addictive." RPGamer stated that Torchlight "manages to overcome the Diablo expectations by being a game that can stand on its own merits."

It's a cheap game! Like $20! AND IT'S BY A BUNCH OF THE ORIGINAL DIABLO GUYS. WHAT DO YOU WANT?

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:19 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Holy shit, dude! I usually ignore threads about commercial games, but Diablo-style game? With such positive reviews? And by the creators of Diablo 1 and 2? I know what I want for Christmas this year! Thanks, Fire, for pointing this out.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:22 PM
Banned
It's like Diablo if it were ACTUALLY FUCKING DIABLO. IT'S EVERYTHING WE EVER WANTED FROM DIABLO. THEY KNEW WHAT WE WANTED AND THEY COULD DO IT NOW.
I'm playing it RIGHT NOW!

Edit: Something I forgot to mention that is awesome: You get a pet from the start, that you can teach spells to, equip things to, and has their own inventory. You know what else? There's a "SEND TO TOWN TO SELL SHIT" button that sends them to town to sell their entire inventory, and returning to give you the wealth. You get no less money than you would going back to town on your own. Unfortunately, the time it takes to come back gets longer as you get deeper into the ONE VERY LONG DUNGEON. To counteract this, there is a skill that increases their stats and lessens the return time. ALL PET EQUIPEMENT AND SPELLS ARE THE SAME ONES YOU CAN GET, SINCE NON-CLASS-SPECIFIC SPELL SCROLLS ARE DROPPED BY MONSTERS.

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:21 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Diablo 3 before actual Diablo 3? Awesomesauce. If I can find a copy of this on the relatively cheap (<$50 AUD) after exams I might pick it up.

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM
This Troper
I just hope this has at least the same playthrough time and replay value as Diablo 2, 'cause it's not a very god hack'n'slash if you can't spend long winter evenings with it. And according to what I read, it has only one dungeon and lacks Nightmare/Hell (just like D1).

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:47 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I doubt it's as short as D1's "wait did I just finish"? dungeon. That game makes no sense to me, I swear... I like how self-sufficient Fire makes you sound though, TPing all the time in D2 got repetitive (and costly, if you died a lot >_>) pretty quickly.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:59 AM
Banned
Well there's no teleporting unless you need to hand in a quest. As far as I know, you get your rewards for most of them without having to even hand them in.

PLUS YOUR PET CAN GO SELL YOUR THINGS IN TOWN.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:18 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Lol, I have 20$ in my hands right now. I caught my dad playing this game as well, I thought it was that one game called "Fate" at first, but surprisingly it wasn't. If he thinks that game is good, and so is everyone else, I'm buying it.

....Once I get my internet back.

Nov 2, 2009 at 9:16 AM
This Troper
DoubleThink said:
I doubt it's as short as D1's "wait did I just finish"? dungeon. That game makes no sense to me, I swear...
That game is good, as long as you haven't played D2 before. Yeah, it got stale a bit.

DoubleThink said:
I like how self-sufficient Fire makes you sound though, TPing all the time in D2 got repetitive (and costly, if you died a lot >_>) pretty quickly.
Is that your only criticism? Because you don't have to TP all the time if you know what to pick up and what to leave behind. Which is something you'll probably need in Torchlight as well, seeing as the pet will take a long time to go to the town and back in later stages.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:20 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
T-Jack said:
Is that your only criticism? Because you don't have to TP all the time if you know what to pick up and what to leave behind.
MUST.
PICK UP.
AND SELL.
EVERYTHING.

Also my inventory always ended up full of charms and crap :<

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:40 PM
This Troper
DoubleThink said:
MUST.
PICK UP.
AND SELL.
EVERYTHING.

Also my inventory always ended up full of charms and crap :<
Oh yeah, I know that well. It's happened to me often before I formed my system: two columns for tomes and the Cube and three (four on Hell) columns for charms, rest for the expensive crap to sell. Also, there's nothing worth more money than any armor with defense over 150. I'm sorry, what was this thread about again?

Oh, yeah, Torchlight. Told my brother about it and he, an avid D2 player, thinks it's awesome. Dunno about you, but that proves the game's quality to me.

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Why am I reminded of that game "Fate"... >:/
Hmmm...
Not critisism though.
Fate is a good game.
I played the demo copy that came on my laptop (limited to 3 plays) for like... 4 days straight.
Also, my cat got transformed into a giant spider, and then I learned a spell to summon spiders.
And then I got the Spiders Helm of Light and Fire.
So I named myself the Spider King.
:eek:

Nov 2, 2009 at 9:49 PM
Banned
T-Jack said:
That game is good, as long as you haven't played D2 before. Yeah, it got stale a bit.

Is that your only criticism? Because you don't have to TP all the time if you know what to pick up and what to leave behind. Which is something you'll probably need in Torchlight as well, seeing as the pet will take a long time to go to the town and back in later stages.

No, you can reduce this with a passive skill that will also buff your pet. As far as I know, you only get one skill point per level, so you WOULD have to spend some levels on this... But they included a SECONDARY leveling system that ONLY AWARDS SKILL POINTS, SO WOO.

For the record, if you think this is a lot like Fate, it's because WHEN THEY TRIED THIS THE FIRST TIME THEY MADE FATE.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:29 PM
This Troper
So I finally got around to actually playing the game myself and, well...

It's like the authors took everything that was awesome about the Diablo games, put it together and added more awesome into the already awesome mix of awesomeness! The game area (one town with a huge-ass dungeon beneath it) and the classes (a big fighter guy, a squishy magic guy and a hot amazon chick) from D1, the transmutation device and socketable equipment from D2 and the original pet servant and fame level system together make a game that should totally have at least a dozen sequels. Or maybe not, but you know what I mean. I do hope that Diablo III will be at least as good as Torchlight.

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:37 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I like this. Fire actually does say smart stuff at times huh.

jk. He doesn't

And I like this game anyhow. But my brain is splitting into two. Too dull maybe.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:03 PM
Luls
TORCHLIGHTTTTTT!!!! If you like this, you should go play Aion. :3

It'll blow your brains out

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:38 PM
This Troper
Finally finished the game. The final boss was disappointing. I'm not going to spoil it to the tohers, but I wish he was more like Diablo from D2.