Too small for comfort?

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:29 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Soooo..... I had this idea a couple of days ago and I can't remember it being mentioned anywhere.
Anybody knows what happens when you put, say, MonsterX in a very small room? Like, big enough for him to fit in properly but only so that he can move a few tiles either way? I'd test it but I figured I'd see if anybody knows first, since I imagine it would mess up his pattern kinda bad.
Or how about any boss, for that matter? I know there are a few things, like Omega only likes to be placed in certain spots and if you get too close to the Core it will scroll off-screen to avoid you, or other stuff, like if you're above Ballos he'll fly into the roof rather than the floor. Therefore...
ITT: Boss pattern manipulation, preferably on really small maps :p

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:31 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Doesn't Monster X basically ignore walls? Same thing with the Core.

And he is placed at a certain position on the map to start with... I don't think you can have a map smaller than that. I suppose if you knew how you could hax his starting position, but then again if you could do that you could prolly also hax his attack pattern directly instead.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:33 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Lyger said:
Doesn't Monster X basically ignore walls? Same thing with the Core.

And he is placed at a certain position on the map to start with... I don't think you can have a map smaller than that. I suppose if you knew how you could hax his starting position, but then again if you could do that you could prolly also hax his attack pattern directly instead.
Lol.
I think you can just move his sprite, I've done it with other things.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:58 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
No you can't. Monster X is built into the map so to speak; he's a special boss, there is no entity for him, and the boss battle is started with a "<BSL0000" instead of an entity number.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:49 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Agh that's right, there's a limit to how small maps can be. Dingleberries :p
Still most bosses don't ignore walls so you could just stick them in a small room, I guess. I was more thinking what would happen if MonsterX scrolled himself off the map.

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:08 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Just place the ground for him to tread on, not you.

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:54 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
DoubleThink said:
Agh that's right, there's a limit to how small maps can be. Dingleberries :p
Still most bosses don't ignore walls so you could just stick them in a small room, I guess. I was more thinking what would happen if MonsterX scrolled himself off the map.

Monster X DOES indeed go through walls. Remember Jenka's Nightmare? It's wheels went right through the solid blocks devilishly sprinkled with spikes! :o

Sep 13, 2008 at 11:19 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Metalogz said:
Monster X DOES indeed go through walls. Remember Jenka's Nightmare? It's wheels went right through the solid blocks devilishly sprinkled with spikes! :p
Yeah that's why I said most bosses. I assume most of you guys know what all the bosses are capable of >_>;
But if MonsterX scrolled off-screen, would he come back or fall into space? I already know he floats on water, so maybe he's programmed to follow that one straight line, but maybe if he exits the map the game will 'forget' about him or something.
You can always mention bosses other than MX too, you know <_<;
Like I had this idea that you could set up a Core boss fighting with a LOT of wall for it to hide behind, so that you had to 'lure' it out by moving backwards in order to be able to damage it.
Maybe I should rename the thread to "cool ways to mess with bosses" or something.

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM
Luls
Nope. Monster X, as you have said earlier on in this thread, is somewhat a "part" of the map. That's why you set it as a major boss in the "Map Settings" in Sue's and not just place him as a sprite on the map.

As Monster X is "part" of the map, it ignores all properties of the map tiles and acts strictly according to the behaviour hardcoded into it.

Which means that it's movement doesn't change.

Which means that it does not fall.

Which means that gravity does not apply here.

Which means that Monster X.

Which means that X.

Which means that.

Which means.

Which.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:57 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
What about other bosses? I know Balfrog and Balrog would be hard as hell if you put them in a small room, and maybe the Doctor (unless he can teleport through walls). Ballos in a small room would be pure hell. You probably won't survive part 2 of the 'ball of Ballos'.

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:06 PM
Luls
DimJim said:
What about other bosses? I know Balfrog and Balrog would be hard as hell if you put them in a small room, and maybe the Doctor (unless he can teleport through walls). Ballos in a small room would be pure hell. You probably won't survive part 2 of the 'ball of Ballos'.

Lol Ballos in the smallest possible room? Are you serious? xD

If he transformed into his second form or after, you wouldn't even have space to exist! You're as good as nothing ._.

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:21 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Metalogz said:
Nope. Monster X, as you have said earlier on in this thread, is somewhat a "part" of the map. That's why you set it as a major boss in the "Map Settings" in Sue's and not just place him as a sprite on the map.

As Monster X is "part" of the map, it ignores all properties of the map tiles and acts strictly according to the behaviour hardcoded into it.
I think what DoubleThink is getting at is what happens when Monster X moves beyond the maps boundaries, or more specifically, how does the game treat the entity when it does move "out of bounds".

As for the answer, I honestly don't know. I've never seen it happen before. I would test this out for myself, but I don't know how to script in boss events. :rolleyes:

Metalogz said:
If he transformed into his second form or after, you wouldn't even have space to exist!
There's always that space inside the floor...

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:55 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I think it's possible for Misery to teleport out of the map. So the Doctor might as well. But the Doctor only teleports around you or something right? So it shouldn't be a problem.

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:30 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Pics or it didn't happen?

And DT, are you done yet with this problem which I don't really see what? Because you can use the original MX map but spare just a lil' room for the player, if you're lazy.

And I guess this is the wrong subforum.

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:38 AM
Justin-chan
Pics or it didn't happen?
GTFO.

Well, it was in an old mod I never released, I remade it, never released it as well. And deleted it or something. The room was pretty small, and Misery teleported out of the room. So I had to expand the map. I think anything smaller than the map width and height of the Throne Room (or wherever you fight Misery) may cause Misery to teleport out of your room.

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:10 AM
Luls
The Mulletron said:
I think what DoubleThink is getting at is what happens when Monster X moves beyond the maps boundaries, or more specifically, how does the game treat the entity when it does move "out of bounds".

As for the answer, I honestly don't know. I've never seen it happen before. I would test this out for myself, but I don't know how to script in boss events. :rolleyes:

There's always that space inside the floor...

FDGSF!!!!!!!!11!!!!1!11!1

A map is a map. The size of the map that you decided in Sue's Workshop is only the viewable area. Even if Monster X goes out of the map's VIEWABLE area, it still moves the way it was hardcoded to move.

I thought it was obvious having said that...

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:41 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
freezit4 said:
And DT, are you done yet with this problem which I don't really see what? Because you can use the original MX map but spare just a lil' room for the player, if you're lazy.

And I guess this is the wrong subforum.
Uh what? This isn't game-hacking or a mod, so I figured I'd put it here >_> I just wanted to talk about stuff.

Metalogz said:
Even if Monster X goes out of the map's VIEWABLE area, it still moves the way it was hardcoded to move.
Um not really, seeing as it's moving into an area that as far as the game is concerned doesn't actually exist. I dunno about MonsterX (hence why I asked) but for other bosses if they leave the map area then they'll fall into nothingness and it would be impossible to finish the fight because you can't shoot them. Unless you jump with them...
NEW IDEA: Can you kill bosses from outside a map's area?

Sep 14, 2008 at 1:59 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Somehow this starts to interest me. How did BB make that tram thingy? What really happens if you go outta screen? Can X(not referring to that idiot) tread vertically? And what the hell is killing boss from outside a map? You outside, or him outside?

Speaking of where this belongs, I had a thought of posting a new thread but dunno where it should be, and now dun remember what it was to be about.............

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:02 PM
Luls
DoubleThink said:
Uh what? This isn't game-hacking or a mod, so I figured I'd put it here >_> I just wanted to talk about stuff.

Um not really, seeing as it's moving into an area that as far as the game is concerned doesn't actually exist. I dunno about MonsterX (hence why I asked) but for other bosses if they leave the map area then they'll fall into nothingness and it would be impossible to finish the fight because you can't shoot them. Unless you jump with them...
NEW IDEA: Can you kill bosses from outside a map's area?

ZZ!!

Nooo!!!

If monsters or bosses were hard coded to follow the force of gravity, then yes, if they fall out of the map's boundaries, then you can't do anything.

However, for Monster X, as I have said time and time again, doesn't follow the force of gravity and therefore would come back even if it leaves map boundaries. ARGH!

EDIT-

Yes, you can do anything outside of the map boundaries, just that you cannot see yourself.

Ok guys, try this:

1) Get booster 2.0
2) Use Hex Editor and give yourself unlimited Booster Juice
3) Make a map in Sue's Workshop without side walls
4) In game, fly out of the map's sides for a long while and fly back in
5) Realise that you can do anything out of the map boundaries
6) Tryout your ideas instead of asking? o.o

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:17 PM
Justin-chan
1) Get booster 2.0
2) Use Hex Editor and give yourself unlimited Booster Juice
3) Make a map in Sue's Workshop without side walls
4) In game, fly out of the map's sides for a long while and fly back in
5) Realise that you can do anything out of the map boundaries
6) Tryout your ideas instead of asking? o.o
Going out of a map's side walls makes you plunge into eternal nothingness. It would take quite a while to boost all the way back.