To Hax Or Not To Hax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I just got a little bit into Cave Story [I still have much, much, MUCH to learn about the game] and I am a sucker for modding things [although i usually do simple edits to games because i dont understand a lot, and i have no idea what a "hex editor" is], and I want to change the storyline completely. Should I play the game more or read the Wiki then mod the game or just mod it now? also, I want to change the sprites [including level tiles and text box icons] and the level layouts a bit too, Please tell me the
My idea is a very satire version of Cave Story [that means tons of lampshade hanging and fourth wall breakages] and will be called "Cave Story:ZOMG HAXXX!!!11". The name is a joke [like almost everything else in the hack] and it will feature QUOTEs [get it?] like "Okay, but things might get even wierder..." "Don't blame me, Blame the maker of this hack!" and Sue is just left making internet meme references i.e "DO A BARREL ROLL!" "OMG ZERG RUSH!" "POST THIS ON 5000 HATS AND YOU WILL GET A COOKIE!" and who could forget "TROLOLOLOLOLOLO". This is why you don't let me come up with games.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dear god no
You don't know how many of these types of mods we've seen around here, and they all end up horribly/never played
We literally just had a new person come to this site and post his/her mod which was just a rewrite of the script but with jokes and stuff

Anyway, I guess you can start now if you wanted? Playing through Cave Story isn't really /required/ although it would probably help.
Also I'm not sure why you're using square brackets (These are the universally accepted brackets for extra information and such).
fastpager200 said:
...level layouts a bit too, Please tell me the

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
MagicDoors said:
Dear god no
You don't know how many of these types of mods we've seen around here, and they all end up horribly/never played
We literally just had a new person come to this site and post his/her mod which was just a rewrite of the script but with jokes and stuff

Anyway, I guess you can start now if you wanted? Playing through Cave Story isn't really /required/ although it would probably help.
Also I'm not sure why you're using square brackets (These are the universally accepted brackets for extra information and such)
That hack sounds stupid, though it did give me an idea. My one will seem to be a script rewrite but then throw something that never happened in the original IN YA FACE!
Also, I have a Cave Story inspired roleplay on a site called "Roleplayer Guild" called Hobo Story. Think it's a comedy? I made sure that the first post alone will leave you bawling your eyes out. I might make a hack of that when the roleplay is done and done. I will make another thread with the link to the roleplay in it on another one of these forums, but for now we be focusing on ZOMG HAXXX. Also, I need to know which editors to use to edit the sprites, level layouts, and text. Somebody please help me here!
And your Cave Story homework for today:What kind of comedy makes you laugh? It helps out a lot for ideas on this hack.
Sidenote time!
I use square brackets because I like square brackets.
I might also do another mod that completely changes Cave Story, but I havent planned a whole lot yet.

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
You want to use Booster's Lab for the most part and Cave Editor for the few things that BL can't do. Also for the love of God stay the hell away from the wiki, that place is the worst and I still think its unsalvageable.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dunc2403 said:
You want to use Booster's Lab for the most part and Cave Editor for the few things that BL can't do. Also for the love of God stay the hell away from the wiki, that place is the worst and I still think its unsalvageable.
Booster's Lab is a .jar file, and i have no clue how to use those. is Cave Editor an actual application and not a .jar or .rar or .whatever file and can it do most of the work on the hack?

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Java. Thats all.

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I am using Cave Editor and the project is mostly going on splendidly [FANCY WORDS MY DEAR CHAPS] and I tried uploading the DoConfig and file, unfortunately the forum does not want me to upload them... Any way I can get the full thing out there?
Also, I have not played the hack yet. Please tell me if there are any problems when I find a way to upload.

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I have honestly never seen a thread on these forums that made me die inside this much/feel this angry until now

e: Okay after looking at this later this post could use a bit more content, plus I could tell the guy what in this thread made me die inside/made me feel angry so here it goes, from beginning to end:

1. I could understand why you would want to modify specifically this game even though you've never completed it. Editing the graphics, maps, and scripts in Cave Story is pretty simple and even though we already have numerous threads dealing with modding help...

fastpager200 said:
Also, I need to know which editors to use to edit the sprites, level layouts, and text. Somebody please help me here!
... And you still ask for help
2. Please proofread your post or else nobody would be curious about what you want people to please tell you about the
3. Like LunarSoul said, an idea like this has already been shown to the community (multiple times).
4. As with that, mods aren't hacks and hacks aren't mods
5. Please don't call an idea stupid based on one sentence.
6. You admit that you can't open .jar files, don't know how to archive and upload files, but you then say that you do romhacking.
7. Just a reminder: You are the modmaker. You should be the one playtesting your mod (or to people who are willing to test your mod before you publicly release it) to see if it works instead of pushing out something that doesn't work at all.
8. Not everything is like romhacking. Hopefully with Cave Story modding you can realize that not everything is a ROM
9. Thanks for calling me offensive. With that post you made me realize that I should have showed my reasoning of calling this thread a bad thread, but I still can't take you seriously because you followed that with another internet meme.

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dunc2403 said:
You say you like modding but you don't know what a jar file is
You're kidding right
And seriously zip the folder then upload it on a real file sharing website
to me, modding most games just needs a ROM and an editor. thats how it should be. unless its like TF2 or one of those fancy 3d games.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Come now fellows, let's not get all hot and bothered over this one
We already know how it ends.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
How to run a jar file: http://www.wikihow.com/Run-a-.Jar-Java-File

Or if you're on windows, what you normally should be able to do is just double click the jar (that is, if java is installed).

Also noxid I told you you needed to make an exe for your editor, since some people just can't figure this out for themselves.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Seriously guys, I have said I started using Cave Editor. You can stop with the .jar talk now. S'all sorted.
And not to mention this guy:
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
I have honestly never seen a thread on these forums that made me die inside this much/feel this angry until now
The original had two pics in spoilers. Just read the original post.
[THE REST OF THIS POST IS A JOKE] You, my good man, are officially the most offensive user on the forum that will probably get banned soon. Congraturation. I would give you more Congraturations, maybe even some Congratulations, but that was the last Congraturation we had. Those things are expensive, you know!

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Professional Whatever
I don't think you can talk that way around here, fast, until you actually get to know us
Do you know how much shit we've seen on this forum, from twelve year olds and people who don't know how to form a sentence
That's why SEBTI was so upset. We get this ALL THE TIME.
Also, if you had paid attention you would know that both Dunc and GIR were trying to help you by giving you information. So how about you follow it and go start making your mod instead of insulting us any more?

Jesus. I need to calm down.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Dunc: It's not even worth it.
fastpager: that comment seems barely worth getting angry about to me, and yelling about how offended you are probably is not going to help the situation

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Then why don't you people just stop insulting ME? Seriously, Just because somebody does not know what a jar file is does not mean I am an idiot. I came on here expecting a better response than from the ROBLOX forum. You people have NO idea what life is like for me. I mean, If I could count each and every thing that I had to deal with, the list would go on so long that this forum would need 5 pages just to fit it all in.
And I just want to make a joke and you people freaking GANG UP ON ME. Also, I am Autistic. I think it takes about 2 seconds to figure out how much autistic people have to deal with.
You know, I think I died long ago, and this whole world does not exist, and everything I have to deal with is my eternal punishment.
You guys are just messed up. How would you like it if the stress of life was metaphorically crushing you, you go on a forum to talk about a game just to get a break from it all, and then everybody gangs up on you just because you crack a single joke? Would that be nice at all?
And the knuckles thing that Noxid has is in the wrong signature and has a misspelling. It should be in mine and should say 99%.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Yeah no, I've had enough of this

Instead of demanding sympathy from people who know nothing about you, you could've left a place you dislike of your own accord and been marginally happier for it. You didn't, so now I've done it for you. It's bad enough having to put up with this kind of behaviour from preteens all the goddamn time, I refuse to tolerate it from someone who claims to be even older than I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.