There has never been a thread about Ys?

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:25 AM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
While it's not the biggest RPG out there, it's still a little shocking.

I've always liked Ys since I first played it on the Sega Saturn, in fact it was the second action RPG I played (that was a series). I didn't know about Xak until a while later.

So, where did you first here about or play Ys?

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:13 PM
"Huzzah!"
I downloaded Ys I & II on VC, the game shows some age in gameplay, but the music is fantastic even nowadays.

it's a very good game, i love it.

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:46 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Reminds me. I need to look for a Ys PC Engine cart.

Also, SkyeWelse recommended Ys to me. That's how learnt about the game.

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I guess I originally found out about Ys years ago after reading about Wanderers From Ys for the SNES in a magazine article. I didn't get an opportunity to play it, until many years later however.

It was a friend of mine who first showed me Ys I & II Eternal for PC on his computer, which at the time was a Japanese PC import game exclusively.

Fortunately, there was a guy who goes by the online handle, Nightwolve, who came along to develop an English translation patch for the complete version of the Ys I & II, (The Complete version is an updated version of Ys I & II Eternal). Before that project was officially completed, I was absolutely blown away by the Japanese version and I couldn't wait to start getting into the series, so I finished the English patched version of the famicom (NES) Ys I & II games and I was instantly hooked afterwards. I proceeded to seek out and play every possible Ys game since.

The best part is, the gameplay for Ys games just keeps getting better and better with the newer releases, such as Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (which had a not-so-successful port with all kinds of graphical differences to the PS2 and PSP), Oath in Felghana, and Ys Origin. These games feature the newer type of combat which is more akin to "hack'n'slash" action-rgps, which is a lot more fun than the earlier style combat of flanking your enemies.

For awhile though, there wasn't much Ys Love in America in an official capacity, and most of us big Ys fans have had to import our games from Japan. For awhile there was only the first Ys game released for the Sega Master System, Wanderers from Ys (Ys III) which was released for SNES, and Ys Books I & II, and Ys III Wanderers From Ys for the Turbo-Grafx CD (or PC-Engine as it was called in Japan) and the Ys: Ark of Napishtim.

What's really cool now is that new fans to Ys now actually have it pretty good since they no longer have to import or search out there for some of the original Ys games. Now gamers can get a version of Ys I & II Complete for their Nintendo DS as of February 10th in the states, since Atlas is publishing the Legacy of Ys.

http://www.atlus.com/ys/

Also, Ys Books I & II, which was originally a CD complilation, can be purchased and played via Nintendo Wii's Virtual Consiole:

http://www.nintendo.com/wii/virtualconsole/games/detail/Pt519Ja8XNjuXT7WYoTFHT_hC9YzcZxV

Those two official releases of the first two Ys games, which make up a single storyline for the Adol's first quest, make it much easier for people to pick this series up.

As far imports go, the Ancient Land of Ys is a great community to find methods of how to go about importing some of the newer Ys games as well English translation patches.

These are the Ys titles so far that have been fan-translated:

1. Ys I & II (MSX)
2. Ys I & II (NES/Famicom)
3. Ys I & II Eternal Complete (PC)
4. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SNES)
5. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PC-Engine)
6. Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC)
7. Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (PC)

8. Ys Origin (PC) - Currently in Development

@Jay City: Glad you enjoyed playing the first two Ys games! The music has always been a highlight of the series since it is very catchy and adventurous. When Ys first came out, there were few other titles that had music of that caliber. Falcom has their own music band called "Falcom JDK" and they've been around for years doing the music for many of Falcom's games, including the Ys series. Those wild electric guitar solos and riffs you're hearing were the band members shredding some tunes for the soundtrack. : ) If you liked these games, you should consider checking out some of the newer Ys games.

-SkyeWelse

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM
"Huzzah!"
^ I will ;D

Thanks for the advise.

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:36 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Ys I & II Eternal for me.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:57 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator