The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:01 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Preview video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xn-ozO6T1Q
Wikipedia entry- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twisted_Tales_of_Spike_McFang

Unless you've seen this game featured in Volume 61 of Nintendo Power Magazine back in Jan '94 (Unless I'm mistaken), you've probably never heard of this game before. I'm not sure if it actually qualifies as an Action Adventure RPG, but since some people claim it's gameplay is similar to that of the Zelda series (Though more linear), I figured I may as well post it here (The thread can always be moved to the Gamer's Lounge later if it isn't an AARPG, anyway).

A few little notes about certain things I've seen in the game-
The Bullet Proof Software mascot shown upon the game's startup sort of resembles the Zu from Azure Dreams.

There are catgirls that'll try to attack you in this game! I think they're out for revenge for all the posts that killed them...

The building in the upper right corner of the last town has a sign above the door that says Kagome (Since this game was made in '94, I'm positive it's not a reference to Kagome Higurashi from InuYasha, but I just wanted to add this little detail, anyway...).

EDIT: Perhaps Camelia inspired the character design for Feena from Grandia? My little cousin thinks so, but I'm not the one who started that rumor...
So, does anyone have any opinions on this game? I personally found it to be kind of fun, but it's not the best game in the world... Or is it?

By the way, here's a 2-Player Mode code you can enter at the title screen, but it'll have no apparent effect until the 2nd boss is defeated- Down, B, Left, B, Up, Y, Right Y

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:14 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
It's hard to say since i've not yet tried it out myself to see, but from the youtube video it does seem to play like Zelda and you do gain the ability to explore a world and gain new powers through your journey. RPGs in my book do not necessarily have to rely on actual level ups or character statistics to make them fit into that category.

What a weird find! Reminds me of Gunman's Proof a bit.

-SkyeWelse

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:31 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I've actually played this before. Not a GREAT game, but it's enjoyable.