The question that is hard to answer.

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:33 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
This is a question that I've been puzzling over for a while: If you could have either Telekinesis of Time manipulation which would you choose?

Limitations:
-Telekinesis: you cannot use your telekinetic abilities when you are more than 1 mile away from the thing that you wish to use it on. You can move yourself with telekinesis. Your telekinetic ability also allows you to absorb any movement within a 10 meters (absorbing and storing kinetic energy is more difficult than releasing it). All of your energy used in telekinesis is either from your own bodily energy, or from kinetic energy absorbed beforehand.

-Time Manipulation: you cannot travel back or forward in time, you can only change how fast time goes in relation to yourself (and some objects/persons near you, see example #1). Your perception of time is never changed.
Example #1: Stopping time. Stop time for the rest of the universe and move in stopped time. Anyone/thing near you (within 10 feet of you) can move with you if you so choose.
Example #2: Slowing down time. Slow down time for the rest of the universe and move in slowed time. Your perception of time does not change, nor does your ability to move in it, but everything else is moving slowly.
Example #3: Speeding up time. Time moves fast around you. This is only useful if you want to let the time pass faster than it would ordinarily. Would help for long airplane flights.

So, which one would you choose?

EDIT: You don't have to answer (nobody that I've asked this question to has been able to decide), any ideas/thoughts are fine too.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Time manipulation would ultimately grant you more power, in terms of physics. Since you could slow down time (and assumingly move at the same speed as normal even if time is slowed down), then you could move incredibly fast, and thus have much more momentum and be able to deliver huge amounts of force to objects. If you were to do so when time was stopped, well then the force you would exert would be infinite.

Plus with time manipulation, you can make it SEEM like you have telekinesis just by stopping time and moving objects. Control over the rate of time is control of a lot of things.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Telekinesis. Always been a favourite of mine. If you can stop/slow time relatively then sure, you could do perhaps more interesting things, but at the end of the day you still have to *do* stuff. Telekinesis is a gift for the lazy.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:33 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Time manipulation would ultimately grant you more power, in terms of physics. Since you could slow down time (and assumingly move at the same speed as normal even if time is slowed down), then you could move incredibly fast, and thus have much more momentum and be able to deliver huge amounts of force to objects. If you were to do so when time was stopped, well then the force you would exert would be infinite.

Plus with time manipulation, you can make it SEEM like you have telekinesis just by stopping time and moving objects. Control over the rate of time is control of a lot of things.

Hmm... I didn't think of that. My first thoughts were that it would be put on to the same plane of time as you when you moved it. I guess there are 3 ways to think of this:
1: Items moved by you (via physical contact) will fall onto the same "plane" of time as you and will keep the relative speed of your time place (which does not change) into the time of the rest of the universe. Ex: throw a stone at 20 miles per hour in stopped time and it goes 20 mph when time is resumed.
2: Items moved by you stay in the other time plane, and are moved at the speed you are going at compared the universal time plane. Ex: Throw a rock at 20 mph in time 10 x slower than universal time, and it will go at 200 miles per hour in the universal time plane.
3: (This one is a bit more abstract, and is only for stopped time) Any movement you give an object doesn't affect its speed, only its direction. Anything you encounter in stopped time is treated to have no velocity until time is resumed. Ex: Stop time and rotate a bicyclist 90 degrees, he will continue with the same speed, except going a different direction.

Time manipulation is fun to speculate about. :)

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM
Time. Time. Time. Time.
Extremely time.
I'm not going to mention how touching anything while time is stopped would destroy it (and possibly a lot of other things). In my happy place, that law of physics is null.
Reasons time manipulation would be awesome
Stopped time: Do anything immediately. Sure, you still have to do it, but you can take as long as you want about it. Also, no one can sense you in any way until you speed time back up. Pretty great for coppin' a feel, amirite? AND you could get your homework done with plenty of time to spare. Getting anything but an A is inexcusable.
Slowed time: BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE. WIN RACES. DO THAT THING WHERE YOU PUT YOUR HAND THROUGH A FIRE WITHOUT GETTING BURNED.
Speeded time: As Landonpeanut said, you could speed up time so that it's not so boring. And you could do some awesome Matrix stuff whenever you felt like it. Everything is epic in slow motion.
Telekinesis is pretty good if it requires no effort, but what are WAIT
I just realized. If you froze time, wouldn't photons stop moving too? YOU WOULD BE BLIND AND DEAF.
Maybe not so awesome.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM
Captain Fabulous said:
Time. Time. Time. Time.
Extremely time.
I'm not going to mention how touching anything while time is stopped would destroy it (and possibly a lot of other things). In my happy place, that law of physics is null.
Reasons time manipulation would be awesome
Stopped time: Do anything immediately. Sure, you still have to do it, but you can take as long as you want about it. Also, no one can sense you in any way until you speed time back up. Pretty great for coppin' a feel, amirite? AND you could get your homework done with plenty of time to spare. Getting anything but an A is inexcusable.
Slowed time: BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE. WIN RACES. DO THAT THING WHERE YOU PUT YOUR HAND THROUGH A FIRE WITHOUT GETTING BURNED.
Speeded time: As Landonpeanut said, you could speed up time so that it's not so boring. And you could do some awesome Matrix stuff whenever you felt like it. Everything is epic in slow motion.
Telekinesis is pretty good if it requires no effort, but what are WAIT
I just realized. If you froze time, wouldn't photons stop moving too? YOU WOULD BE BLIND AND DEAF.
Maybe not so awesome.

Hmm....
Then maybe you don't completely stop time, but slow it down to an EXTREMELY SLOW pace.

There are some good things about telekinesis (besides allowing you to be lazy). Here are the main two for me: Precision, and Energy usage. Precision would allow me to create objects that were beyond the abilities of humankind, like perfect lenses, intensely complicated computer parts, and other impossible to make stuff otherwise. Assuming that telekinesis is simply determined by energy usage, many things that take extremely small amounts of energy, such as launching low mass objects at ridiculous speeds, cutting metal (using microscopic cuts), and other innovative things could be achieved. Also, you could fly.

Some fun telekinesis ideas that I've had:
-Creating large pockets of oxygen in the air (I wonder what I'd use that for.... hehe).
-Compressing air to create heat
-Expanding air to decrease temperature
-Typing using telekinesis (just an idea)
-Creating wind (Endless possibilities :))

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:56 PM
If your telekinesis relied on your own energy, I don't think flying would be very easy. That would mean carrying and propelling your own weight. Maybe leaping, or possibly even bounding, but not flying.
However, if you stopped time (which magically lets you see without photons), hijacking a helicopter wouldn't be too hard.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:01 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Stopping time I think.

There is one major problem for stopping time, though:
No videogames, no tv: they would run really slow compared to you.
you could read and do homework and walk to school and all that stuff, but you really couldn't do anything electronic.

0_o

On second thought, I choose telekinesis.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:05 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
But wasn't there some rule about you can make stuff change time rate with you? Like you could make time slow down for all except you and your computer.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
If you slowed time for you and your computer then your internet would be really slow unless you also changed time for all the internet and every computer on it.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:08 PM
Work offline on a laptop.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:22 PM
Landonpeanut said:
-Telekinesis: you cannot use your telekinetic abilities when you are more than 1 mile away from the thing that you wish to use it on. You are not infinitely powerful, so you cannot move mountains, but are powerful enough to move a small boulder. You can move yourself with telekinesis.

For the sake of the discussion, you get the energy from somewhere, but you can only use a certain amount per second.

As for stopping time, you don't completely stop time, you just slow it down to nearly a stop, so that you can still see.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:42 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Defiantly time control, no doubt.

As mentioned before, stopping time would allow you to have infinate amounts of time to do things you need to do, or want to do, and, assuming that you would age slower (another good point) gather epic amounts of wisdom, strength, and insight by traveling the world, reading, etc.
As well as other... things...

Slowing time would allow for epic maneuvers. Like slowing down time to judge what to do in fights/ sports /sport fighting. I mean imagine you threw a punch only to have it caught and get a flying kick to the face!

And speeding time up would be extremely useful in situations like waiting, being lectured, class, etc.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM
Banned
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Time powers.

You could stop time, go to a bank, take money, go back home, and unfreeze time. No one will realize you did it.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:48 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Well isn't this a hard question. I really can't decide. I always thought telekinesis and levitation would fit my witchy demeanor more..

But I could do so many naughty things if I could stop time.

I could do naughty things with telekinesis too but...

I really don't know.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:53 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
If you stopped time and tried to move, wouldn't the now-locked-in-place air slice through you? Controlling time is an interesting concept, but would probably harbor some horrible, horrible consequences, like, altered life expectancy (shorter and longer are both worse). Telekinesis is pretty straightforward. Depending on how powerful it is, you could still do some pretty great stuff, and it is my choice.

Also, reversing time with your powers is impossible because even if you reversed the flow of time, the nature of time in itself would cause it to continue forward in any direction with no apparent differences. Basically, you could probably do it, but nothing would happen.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:11 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'd have to say Telekinesis, mainly because of the awesome things you could do with it. And if I can move myself with telekinesis, thats even better, because wouldn't that technically mean I can fly? Well, I guess not exactly flight, but levitation? Also, it would be pretty awesome to move things with your mind. Got yourself into a fight? Use telekinesis to lift the guy up and launch his ass down the street. Problem solved.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:11 AM
I already have both of these abilities and I can tell you all straight up that they are equally quaint. Reality is my toy, after all.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:17 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
Thats an understatement Kage. Reality is your bitch.:D

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:33 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'd choose Time manipuation. Just 'cause, it'd be cool. I have no Idea what I could do with it, other than what's already been mentioned.