The Map Doesn't Match Up!

Nov 13, 2006 at 9:38 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Here is a thread from my Cave Story project site. found at http://www.f-ram.net/cavestory/

--

Okay so I basically sit at home all day farting and doing nothing, and IN doing nothing I do a lot of things that amount to nothing. Like putting together the complete map of Cave Story and finding out the map doesn’t match up.

diph.php

Oh well. Though it would have been really really cool if it did.

Nov 14, 2006 at 2:47 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I just saw it before :D
Its great :D Keep your good work.

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:18 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
That map looks wierd to me. First of all, the Moonsong area should be on the right side of Plantation. Next of all, what with the ways the doors work and all, for all we know Hell could be facing the other way.

Interesting nonetheless. Could you RAR or ZIP the full image and link to it? I'd like to look at it myself. :D

PS: 24-bit PNG would be the best format - you said it was a PSD on your site, and I only have Fireworks.

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:01 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
yah i know about some of the mistakes and how hell can be pointing in a different direction

but plantation and outer-wall in no way make sense. thats just a full out screw up

the only way to correct it is if the hallway that you take from the outer wall to the plantation is about 1500% longer
that will put plantation right above egg corridor.

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:22 PM
Hoxtilicious
f-ram.net said:
Okay so I basically sit at home all day farting and doing nothing, and IN doing nothing I do a lot of things that amount to nothing. Like putting together the complete map of Cave Story and finding out the map doesn’t match up.

Farting and doing nothing huh? LOOOOOOOOOL Well get a job dude XD hahah no seriously I could say I'am also do a lot of things that amount to nothing, like lerning T-SCript or Convert Music. lol

Nov 15, 2006 at 12:00 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
f-ram.net said:
the only way to correct it is if the hallway that you take from the outer wall to the plantation is about 1500% longer
that will put plantation right above egg corridor.

All the maps in the game are relative, like Arthur's house for example (it's much larger on the inside than it is on the outside), so they will all have some sort of ratio as to how large they should really be. Unfortunately one can only guess what they are :D

The Outer Wall map travels from roughly the bottom of the island up to where it suddenly thickens out, and judging by the bowl-shape of the island, this could mean that it doesn't go all the way up the side and that the island is in fact much wider. In terms of proportion, the Balcony was probably shrunk a bit, whereas Hell is probably much larger than it really is (it's supposed to join up to the plantation, which it's not doing there). So patching it all together to make a huge map probably won't make an island, at least not to begin with. That's not to say it isn't interesting, so if you intend to finish it, go ahead :D

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:05 AM
"..."
I still don't see how Plantation and Outer Wall don't match up - in your version the Outer Wall isn't where it's supposed to be - it should be on the right side of Plantation, reaching down past the end.

I'd be more worried about how the Balcony doesn't match up if you jump off the island from the left side - the only way that could work is if the balcony was rotated 90 degrees so that, from our point of view right now, it goes towards and away from us instead of side to side.

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:02 AM
DoubleThink: there isn't a relative ratio and i did finish the whole map. i over layed all inside maps over all outside images of the maps....er.. like i toke the inside of Aurthur's house and overlayed it over the outside of his house and for most of the buildings they matched exactly. Like everything in Egg Corridor. But in places like Mimiga Village and Grass Zone they didn't at all. I'm telling yah man, it was just something Pixel did thinking no one would notice or care. There is no relative ratio.

Osmose: The map doesn't match up. Look, the Egg Corridor leads to the Outer Wall. Check my image, they connect. the Outer Wall is suppose to scale all the way up the right side of the Plantation but as you can see, it does not. Further more the Balcony is suppose to be the length of the top of the island and comparing it to egg corridor, grass zone, and well- any other zone- it doesn't scale the length of the island.

Unfortunately Pixel didn't match up his maps. I found a ton of proof of it. It really really pissed off my friend Josh (the guy working on the comic with me) but I kept telling him it's no big deal. He made the whole game by himself, matching up the island shouldn't be a big deal.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:37 AM
"..."
diph.php

This is a slightly edited version where the Outer Wall has been shifted to where it's supposed to be. Hell sticks out and the Balcony doesn't reach, but that is right where it's supposed to be - the top connects to the little hallway with Itoh, and then to the near-bottom part of Plantation.

Also, where did you get the idea that the Balcony is supposed to cover the entire island's surface? Forgetting that this is all our interpretation of where things should be, the name itself suggests that it is simply a balcony area on the edge of the island, and the building with the Demon Crown is on it. Certainly beyond that building there could be more land that Quote cannot or doesn't need to get to.

Certainly Pixel didn't finish the maps perfectly, but if you take into account the possible flipping effect due to doors, as well as rotation into a third dimension (depth), most of it is possible (Hell is a bit of an exception, that can't match up with Plantation without an extra not-shown tunnel between the door and where Heavy Press falls.

We don't even know how big the island is itself. For all we know this could all be happening in a very distant corner of the island, or the Sand Zone and Grasstown are way farther away from the Mimiga village than you'd think.

Nov 21, 2006 at 11:21 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Osmose said:
Certainly Pixel didn't finish the maps perfectly, but if you take into account the possible flipping effect due to doors, as well as rotation into a third dimension (depth), most of it is possible (Hell is a bit of an exception, that can't match up with Plantation without an extra not-shown tunnel between the door and where Heavy Press falls.

Hell isn't impossible. Just flip "Last Cave" onward horizontally and it lines up almost exactly.
Certainly close enough to be fixed by fudging with the size a bit.

Nov 22, 2006 at 3:46 AM
"..."
Actually, Hell doesn't work because it doesn't connect up right with the Plantation (The room where Heavy Press falls), not because it overlaps with Last Cave which, no matter which way you turn it, is generally the same in terms of entrance and exit position.

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:14 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Who ever said the CS world was flat and 2D? Nobody seems to have considered depth now, have they? :p

Even if the maps don't line up properly in terms of height, the fact remains this is a game. Given the size of the game world, it would be easier to focus on a map that's fun and that serves a purpose than one that's realistically matched up but with excessively large areas in order to properly bridge sections of the map.

Nov 22, 2006 at 7:13 PM
"..."
RuneLancer said:
Who ever said the CS world was flat and 2D? Nobody seems to have considered depth now, have they? :p

Even if the maps don't line up properly in terms of height, the fact remains this is a game. Given the size of the game world, it would be easier to focus on a map that's fun and that serves a purpose than one that's realistically matched up but with excessively large areas in order to properly bridge sections of the map.

Osmose said:

I'm not trying to be mean, but still. :D

Sep 4, 2007 at 12:48 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Thread revival

Here is the map I made for the "Movie Script" thread:
csmap.gif

It accounts for 3d, though I may have gotten it wrong.

Two things:
1. I could put in sacred grounds but I am lazy.
2. Outer wall is in dark blue and is hard to see.

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:00 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
you forgot to cast thread revival spell.....lol

i like the map but maybe the what the hell spot is just some old building :D

and sacred grounds would be easy to add but the area wouldnt make sense

hmm that sentence didnt make sense lol

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:31 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
xristosx said:
you forgot to cast thread revival spell.....lol

i like the map but maybe the what the hell spot is just some old building :D

and sacred grounds would be easy to add but the area wouldnt make sense

hmm that sentence didnt make sense lol
1. Do I have to write an entire spell here.

2. Umm.. you have already seen this map, remember.

3. I can add it but I don't feel like it.

I think I messed up with Plantation.