Talk about Pixel's games.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:41 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Since there is no forum/thread about Ikachan or any other Pixel creations, I decided to make a thread. Talk about all of Pixel's creations here!
Talk away!

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:30 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Ikachan: Too short. Seriously, it's a fun game, enjoyable, innovative, but it ends waay before I can get into it. That said, let's look at the individual aspects of this game.
Gameplay - As I already said, innovative. I honestly like the controls style, although it often gets irritating, with all the spiky parts. The RPG element, well, it's not bad, but absolutely unnecessary. You have to be at level 2 before the first bossfight (The Starfish Trap) or the game'll become unwinnable. Granted, it's hard to get there below level 2, but I was pissed when I was trying to do a Minimal Level Run.
Graphics - You've all played Cave Story, so I'll just say this: Ikachan is just CS's older and less colorful brother. I do like pixellated retro graphics, but the color scheme in this game is, well, not that good. Not bad, but not good either. Let's just say that Ikachan's graphics could definitely be better.
Music - Oh yeah, the music. I honestly can't think of anything to say about it other than "awesome". Oh, and "repetitive". You'll hear only one song when playing, save for bossfights. But the song is so cool you won't mind. At least I didn't.
Story - That's the weak part of Ikachan. I know, it's just a freeware game, and a pretty short one, too, but come on! It's a Studio Pixel game! First of all, Ikachan suddenly waking up at the beginning makes even less sense than Quote in Cave Story. And what's that with the pearls? Only Oku and Ikachan are penalized for not having a pearl, everyone else is just fine, if whiny. Then there's that issue with Mother Pearl or whachacallit. Great plot setup, which is then promptly swept under the carpet and never mentioned again. Instead we get a fucking spaceship escape which saves all the characters. Oh, and that's a spoiler, by the way. I honestly can't believe that the brilliant mind behind Cave Story would create such a half-assed excuse for a plot.
It's time for the final verdict, so here it comes: Ikachan, good game, but you'd better turn off your brain while playing. That's all, good night.

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:37 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Whoa?

Whoa, really?
I haven't played Ikachan yet, but I've always thought it'd be pretty fun, being made by Amaya...
Looking at the other games, could Cave Story be some sort of fluke..?
Or were all those just practice runs for Pixel? :confused:

Also, how long did that take you to post, Jack?
You've been "Replying" forever, now =D

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:45 AM
This Troper
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Whoa, really?
I haven't played Ikachan yet, but I've always thought it'd be pretty fun, being made by Amaya...
Looking at the other games, could Cave Story be some sort of fluke..?
Or were all those just practice runs for Pixel? :confused:

Also, how long did that take you to post, Jack?
You've been "Replying" forever, now =D
Yeah, I was. It took, um, I'd say about 15-30 minutes, maybe even more, but I wanted to write a full review, just because I'm already responsible for the Ikachan page on the Tribute Site. By the way, Ikachan is not a bad game, but don't expect from it as much as from Cave Story.

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:50 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Click*

T-Jack said:
By the way, Ikachan is not a bad game, but don't expect from it as much as from Cave Story.
That reminds me, Boots talked about making an Ikachan mod, and andwhy wondered why no one else had.
Has there really been no mods for Ikachan? {Probably blame Cave Story for that :confused:}

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:00 AM
This Troper
VoidMage_Lowell said:
That reminds me, Boots talked about making an Ikachan mod, and andwhy wondered why no one else had.
Has there really been no mods for Ikachan? {Probably blame Cave Story for that :confused:}
Well, Ikachan even has built-in editor (more info on the Tribute Site), but it's severely limited (only one map and the like). Cave Story is just better, even though you need a third-party editor for it.

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
T-Jack said:
Well, Ikachan even has built-in editor (more info on the Tribute Site), but it's severely limited (only one map and the like). Cave Story is just better, even though you need a third-party editor for it.
Though map editing is simpler in Ikachan.

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:16 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Eh..

andwhyisit said:
Though map editing is simpler in Ikachan.
Ah, but is simpler better?
Simple editors are usually simple because they've got so little control over everything...

Starcraft's Editor is simple compared to Warcraft III's, but it can't control music, models, spells {Course, I mean actual spells from heroes, not the stuff in SC where you spawn a unit for 5 seconds to do damage, and then get rid of it :confused:}, etc.

Although, people almost always use 3rd party editors, instead of the originals, anyways. {For the extra control and features}
{There's a dozen 3rd party replacement editors for SC, and one or two for WCIII}

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:29 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Simple editors are usually simple because they've got so little control over everything...[/FONT]
But map editing isn't done with Pixel's editor, and it does not require any first-party or third-party editor.

Look at the bottom of this page:
http://cavestory.org/othergames_10.php

No editors, full control, and simple.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:03 AM
This Troper
JacobX891 said:
Cave Story is the sequel to Ikachan. You have to play it.
When I typed that out, I wondered: There needs to be a sequel to Cave Story that isn't also Cave Story.
I don't think so. Cave Story is a prequel to Ikachan. Because, honestly, how would Ika create that crapload of squids all by himself?

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:21 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
andwhyisit said:
But map editing isn't done with Pixel's editor, and it does not require any first-party or third-party editor.

Look at the bottom of this page:
http://cavestory.org/othergames_10.php

No editors, full control, and simple.
Full control?
What about what Jack said?
T-Jack said:
Well, Ikachan even has built-in editor (more info on the Tribute Site), but it's severely limited (only one map and the like).
SPACE
JacobX891 said:
Cave Story is the sequel to Ikachan. You have to play it.
When I typed that out, I wondered: There needs to be a sequel to Cave Story that isn't also Cave Story.
That Ikachan easter-egg doesn't make Cave Story a sequel to Ikachan...
Cameo...
T-Jack said:
Because, honestly, how would Ika create that crapload of squids all by himself?
Smoke and Mirrors.
Underwater.
Moving.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:23 AM
Been here way too long...
Oh my goodness of course. Ikachan's mission is to destroy humanity.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:33 AM
This Troper
JacobX891 said:
Ikachan can obviously asexually reproduce.
Besides, it's called the ALIEN medal. Why would it be called that if he hadn't
landed on Cave Story's world?
Because automaticaly alien = extraterrestrial? Because Quote automatically knows everything about any item he finds/gets/whatever? Because Ikachan could only travel from planet to planet once?

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:33 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

JacobX891 said:
Also, Lowell, you haven't played Ikachan, have you?
No.
But, you would have known that, if you had read the first few posts.
Captain Fabulous said:
Oh my goodness of course. Ikachan's mission is to destroy humanity.
Nah, he's just trying to show Quote up for defeating Iron Head so easily. {Since Ika only appears if you beat Iron Head without taking damage..}

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:34 AM
T-Jack said:
Because automaticaly alien = extraterrestrial? Because Quote automatically knows everything about any item he finds/gets/whatever? Because Ikachan could only travel from planet to planet once?

Yes, yes and yes.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:46 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

JacobX891 said:
I did, dude. Don't get bitchy with me, please. I'm just pointing out that you don't know how Ikachan ended, so it wouldn't really make any sense at all to you why Ikachan's being in Cave Story for more than just a cameo would work logically..
Ok, please tell me how that was 'bitchy'....?

If you did read it, why did you ask a question you already knew the answer to, instead using common sense and just posting your point?
Second, Jack told me the ending in his review, so I do know the ending.
Apparently, you didn't read the posts, dood.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:00 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Dood.

JacobX891 said:
Well, first off, dood, You shouldn't have read the ending if you haven't played the game.
Second, I thought you would have noticed the hinted implication that you shouldn't be talking about it like you know everything about it if you haven't played it. I wasn't asking you, It was an implied point.
I didn't mean to.
Jack gave no indications to spoilers...

Oh, he does. After telling me the spoilers. >.>;

And, I don't think the space ship could have gotten on the Island without someone noticing the ship approaching....
And, how the hell did Iron Head follow them?
Or did he get taken up in the ship, too...?

It's just a cameo.....
Too many holes to point out in your theory..

Your implied point kinda stinks, too...
You wouldn't have used it if you knew Jack had already posted the ending...
Also, I bet you have no idea where "Dood" comes from, dood.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:18 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Oo oo.

JacobX891 said:
Maybe they just didn't. They don't exactly report it on the news every time the tiniest meteorite hits. The ship wasn't that large in mass, the governments of the Surface probably just thought it would burn up the the atmosphere.
Well, seeing as Quote is roughly the same size or smaller than Ika, and everyone, including Iron Head, boarded the ship, it'd have to be decently big....
I think they'd notice it and watch it's descent with at least automated computers designed to watch for meteors and the such.
I mean, they've got super advance robots. Why wouldn't they have advance computer systems monitoring the skies?
{We've got something like that, and we're far behind in the tech from Cave Story..}

JacobX891 said:
Yes, he did. Play the game, and come back afterward. You'll know a bit more about the game.
Eh...
JacobX891 said:
Prinnies.
Then don't use "Dood" in such a sarcastic manner, D=
Dood.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:22 AM
I'm in ur forum, abusing the word "dood".
Also, are any of Pixel's other games good? I should try Ikachan, but I know it's can't live up to Cave Story, so I haven't worked up the boredom to try it yet.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:42 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

JacobX891 said:
You're making an assumption that is far too broad. Besides, size is not really an actual argument when you talk about the sprites. When you don't have anything between 1 tile high and 2 tiles high, things get made smaller or bigger than they really are.
So, my assumptions are broad, and your's magically aren't?
We both stretched things out.
Maybe that Spaceship doesn't have enough fuel to travel to the planet of Cave Story.
Maybe, like you said with sprites, Ika is actually nearer the size of a cell, so there's no way that ship could have gotten them to the planet of Cave Story.

You're using as broad of assumptions as me.