Super Mario Bros. New Speedrun Category

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:53 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hello everyone,

I know this might not be the best place to bring this up, but I feel that here would be a good start.
I'm assuming most of you know what the "minus world" glitch from the original SMB is, if you don't know what it is then there's a pretty good explanation here:

I have found (and no, I'm not the first to discover this) that the minus world is actually different between the NES (North America, Europe, Etc.) and the Famicom (Japan) versions of the game. The NES version, which is by far the more well known of the two, is just a simple underwater stage which loops endlessly until you get a game over, but the Japanese version actually has three levels, which conclude with an axe bridge and a message box which gives the usual "thanks Mario, but our princess is in another castle" speech. After this, you are sent to the title screen.
HOWEVER, if you start the game back up you can play the second quest, which you get after beating the game. A general consensus between me and about 50 other people have decided that we can call this "beating" the game.

I say all of that to say this: I think it would be cool to do speed runs of this method. Go through this pattern:

1-1 ---> 1-2 ---> -1 ---> -2 ---> -3

REMEMBER: this only works on the FAMICOM, not the NES, so you'll need a special emulator if you want to try this yourself. If you do attempt this, post a link to a video/other method of proof under this thread, and I'll put you on the leaderboard!

LEADERBOARD

1. Debug Cat - 2:54.00
2. TheHamburglar - 2:55.90

EDIT: After MANY attempts, I have gotten a sub-three run (under three minutes). Until someone comes and claims my spot, I'm just gonna sit here and enjoy the view from the top.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2015 at 7:22 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If you have an actual famicom you have either 127 or 256 of the glitch levels.
I forogt which amount was the actual amount...