Sue's Workshop hacked (New version)

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:51 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
A screenshot of what's wrong might help, Vertiphon.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:44 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Is it really that hard to visualise?

I'm in small fonts mode now - the rooms scroll box appears correctly and reaches to the bottom of the window.

If I turn back to large fonts, the scroll box draws below the bottom edge of the window, cutting off the lowest 10 lines or so.

There's another problem anyway, if I use this hacked version, it tends to mess up rooms. Literally corrupt them. So I will stick with the "normal" version.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:00 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Vertiphon said:
There's another problem anyway, if I use this hacked version, it tends to mess up rooms. Literally corrupt them. So I will stick with the "normal" version.

lol? Yeah I think that's better with your crappy OS/Config, I don't want it to destroy your harddisc :rolleyes:

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:07 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Come back when you've finished school. Maybe you will have matured enough to hold a proper conversation.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:15 PM
Hoxtilicious
Vertiphon said:
Come back when you've finished school. Maybe you will have matured enough to hold a proper conversation.

Yeah call me 'kid'.
Anyhow very friendly to say "Is it really that hard to visualise?" to a member who is asking to images, hey don't know how to make a screenshot of your screen? :rolleyes: Maybe it's just you which screwed the map anyway lol

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:28 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Anyhow very friendly to say "Is it really that hard to visualise?" to a member who is asking to images, hey don't know how to make a screenshot of your screen? Maybe it's just you which screwed the map anyway lol

He's right - It's not that hard to visualise, he explained it very clearly.
If I'm right, it looks something like this?:

I get this too. Does it say: "Can't load Tileset?" On my completely un-edited Cave Story, it doesn't work. Good job S.P! Oh, and seriously - update your OS. Maybe your outdated software is what causes it.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:39 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Sontreal said:
He's right - It's not that hard to visualise, he explained it very clearly.

Thank you. I thought I was concise enough.

Sontreal said:
Does it say: "Can't load Tileset?"

Yes, that's because it's looking for BMP files, but all the images have PBM extensions (or whatever).

Sontreal said:
Oh, and seriously - update your OS. Maybe your outdated software is what causes it.

Uh, what? Windows 2000 may be old but it WORKS. No excuse for shitty software. In fact, also under XP, this editor seems to produce the same result when large fonts are turned on. The scrollbar scrolls past the bottom of the window.

Jul 23, 2007 at 9:31 PM
Hoxtilicious
I said you need to rename the pbm's to bmp's don't blame me for your errors. (Read my posts next time)

S. P. Gardebiter said:
Yes you have to rename all the PBM's to BMP's...

Jul 23, 2007 at 9:51 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Veriphon said:
Sontreal said:
Oh, and seriously - update your OS. Maybe your outdated software is what causes it.
Uh, what? Windows 2000 may be old but it WORKS. No excuse for shitty software. In fact, also under XP, this editor seems to produce the same result when large fonts are turned on. The scrollbar scrolls past the bottom of the window.

I was actually referring to S.P Gardebiter.

S.P. Gardebiter said:
lol? Yeah I think that's better with your crappy OS/Config, I don't want it to destroy your harddisc

YOU'RE the one with Windows 98, I don't think you should go around mocking others now, should you?

S.P. Gardebiter said:
I said you need to rename the pbm's to bmp's don't blame me for your errors. (Read my posts next time)

Admittedly, you did, but WHY would you make an updated editor of Cave Story that requires you to change the format of it's files? Why not just keep them .pbm? It's much easier, and changing the file names is pointless - there's no benefit. You're just making things complicated.

Veriphon said:

He's German.

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:51 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Sontreal said:
I was actually referring to S.P Gardebiter.

He's German.

My mistake, Sont. Hard to get where people are coming from in text, sometimes, eh? And yes, S.P's last name would suggest as much.

Anyway, so that this post has a point: it's a great idea in theory that we have a "hacked" version of SW that reads BMPs, but if it messes up the maps then it becomes useless. I haven't seen ANY map corruption at all using the "normal" version, although having only used that since returning back to small fonts I cannot say whether the original version of SW exhibits the same behaviour that I originally posted about.

I might look into hex editing the EXE, to see if I can get it to read BMPs without any corruption. This is somewhat useful for easy editing of the tilesets whilst playtesting.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:47 AM
Hoxtilicious
Sontreal said:
Admittedly, you did, but WHY would you make an updated editor of Cave Story that requires you to change the format of it's files? Why not just keep them .pbm? It's much easier, and changing the file names is pointless - there's no benefit. You're just making things complicated.

They are actually in .BMP format and renaming them every time back to .PBM is a bit more complicated then just renaming them once - Cheers! :D

Well atleast you guys don't have to use it.
And I'm german yeah, whats the matter; racist?

So anyhow, I don't know what they messed up in XP or 2000, then just get 98 lol

Edit: Anyhow I didn't hacked anything with can screw up map editing, so I don't know which screwed it up.

May 11, 2009 at 6:51 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Filespace is dead and I want a Sue's Workshop that can change Boss character values and stuff. :)

May 11, 2009 at 7:03 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
you mean like a npc.tbl editor that can change the flags on special bosses?

May 11, 2009 at 7:45 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
No. I mean this specific hack of Sue's Workshop could change which MAJOR boss (Balfrog, Monster X, Ball-form Ballos, and other gigantic things) actually appears on each map, a part of the header Sue's Workshop v0.2 doesn't edit.

May 11, 2009 at 8:48 AM
You are wrong, obviously, or I would not have posted here. No version of Sue's Workshop at all is among those; S.P. went off building his own editor instead.

May 11, 2009 at 9:42 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
Oh! so you mean Chie's Lab? I'm not sure if S.P is still working on it but it's not ready right now. There's a thread about it somewhere and I'd say it's a little early to say he's abandoned it so I assume he's still working on it.

May 11, 2009 at 3:36 PM
I said that's NOT what I want. You're not even reading my whole posts, are you? :| This thread is not about Chie's Lab.

May 12, 2009 at 7:00 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
Well I don't know of any hacked versions versions of sue's workshop so you won't really wanna ask me