Story of Sonic

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Story of Sonic
(Because Sonics Story was already taken)
An adaptation of JetHawk95s "Sonics Story"

Version 0.05

My basic plan:
Take some levels from old Sonic games. Each zone will have 2 acts: one will be from the original game, and one a map of my own creation.

A few questions that I need your input on:
How should Sonic attack?
What stages should I do? (So far I have Green Hill Zone and City Escape planned.)

Screenshots:
p149208-0-suf6s.png

p149208-1-lbmzs.png

p149208-2-x94el.png

p149208-3-gxmbh.png

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:14 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That second screenshot looks promising
I have high hopes for this mod

Anyway don't forget chemical plant zone

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:01 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Updated the OP, added two new Screenshots.
Also, my inside sources tell me that Windy Valley is going to be included tin the game.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Based Member
Well, this would require a lot of assembly hacking in order to get it to feel like a Sonic game. Probably the easiest thing there is to do with no/minimal asm hacking would be respriting the power crystals into rings. Other than that, I hope you nkow a lot of assembly.

Also, question: Have you abandoned yet another project?

Remember this?
Will this turn out to be another one of your failed projects? >_>"
Let's not forget Cave Story 4-bit and 8-bit!
I haven't!

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
My basic plan:
Take some levels from old Sonic games. Each zone will have 2 acts: one will be from the original game, and one a map of my own creation.

How do you plan on making the original levels authentic? Especially when City Escape was in 3D? CS also doesn't have rounded slopes like Sonic does, so you'll have to do something there.

A few questions that I need your input on:
How should Sonic attack?
What stages should I do? (So far I have Green Hill Zone and City Escape planned.)

Classic jumping on enemies, that might be difficult.
Um, well if this mod will be completed, Hill Top Zone, Sky Sanctuary Zone and Lava Reef Zone would be awesome.

I just wanted to comment and say this mod is incredibly ambitious, I don't know if you know any ASM at all, but you'll need extensive know how of it if you want to do this, unless you're just going to make it Sonic-themed Cave Story without changing any physics or weapons.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
How do you plan on making the original levels authentic? Especially when City Escape was in 3D?
I'm going to try and recreate them to the best of my ability.

CS also doesn't have rounded slopes like Sonic does, so you'll have to do something there.
For the most part, I'm going to try to do without them, but for some things (like loops) I will make scripted events.
Um, well if this mod will be completed, Hill Top Zone, Sky Sanctuary Zone and Lava Reef Zone would be awesome.
Noted. :D
I just wanted to comment and say this mod is incredibly ambitious, I don't know if you know any ASM at all, but you'll need extensive know how of it if you want to do this, unless you're just going to make it Sonic-themed Cave Story without changing any physics or weapons.
Well, I'm using JetHawks Sonic Story engine, so the physics wont be a problem.
As for weapons, I'm not yet sure what I am going to do.

Edit: OH WAIT HOLD ON before anyone says that I stole his engine, I did get his permission to use it.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
For the most part, I'm going to try to do without them, but for some things (like loops) I will make scripted events.

Let's hope that works out then!

:J

Well, I'm using JetHawks Sonic Story engine, so the physics wont be a problem.
As for weapons, I'm not yet sure what I am going to do.

Edit: OH WAIT HOLD ON before anyone says that I stole his engine, I did get his permission to use it.

Oh, ha ha, I was about to say.. But good luck then! This seems like it'll be fun, I greatly anticipate a release!

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
So... for a weapon, I guess I'm making a ring launcher?

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I think you should have a weapon that launches Tails, who explodes on impact.

In fact, every weapon should be Tails.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
also bring back the drowning theme from the older games when the air reaches 50 or so. Sheer unadulterated terror at it's finest.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."

I can't tell if you're joking

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

Instead of Missile Launcher?
Every good mod should have at least one assembly hack.
In my opinion.

And Jerse, do you know how to hack weapons?

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Sorry about double post
Does anyone want to try and make an end goalpost maptile? (Robotnik side 3x2, side side 1x2, Sonic side 3x2)

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Been here way too long...
OH WAIT HOLD ON before anyone says that I stole his engine, I did get his permission to use it.
Well I was the one who coded it, but whatever.
As far as your last question goes, people probably aren't going to make stuff for you; if you ever want to make substantial progress on this, you should just rely on yourself.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:17 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
http://www.mediafire.com/?s1bcfxapqsdas1z
Version 0.05 out!
Act 2 (made by me) is the only one currently availible, I still have to finish act 1.
I know about the tile glitch when you first start the game up, but if you find other glitches let me know!

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Based Member
So, just played it. Just to let you know, the download link in the first post isn't working, so I had to get it from the post above me. Since this is so early on in development, I'm not going to rate it yet, but I'll give you a little feedback. First off, the title in the main menu says it's by Jethawk. Second, I know that the remix of endless mine by GIRakaCHEEZER is good, but it's not the most fitting thing. If you're going to make a mod like this, you'd better get good at making music in ORGmaker, and at assembly hacking. Also, I really think it would make sense to resprite the power crystals into rings. Even though it's interesting how you can run fast, there's a lot of improvement on the walking and jumping physics. Some of those loops where you have to get a running head-start and jump are hard to make, and really don't make a lot of sense. And sometimes it's not real obvious that you're supposed to spindash to bust through a certain wall, and the way to do it is awkward. Also, jumping on springs doesn't do any thing, you have to press down in order to do it. Now I nkow why you wanted to use GIR's spring hack. It would also make some sense if Sonic's jumping sprite were a ball. There's also room for improvement for the sprites and tile sets. The level design is patchy as well. Even though I am heavily criticizing this mod, I think it's a lot better than your previous project. Anyway, I was a huge fan of Sonic when I was younger, and he still has a special place in my heart to this day. Here are a few parts of the level appearance that didn't quite make sense:
Storyofsonic2.jpg

Also, it didn't make sense that the text there required a <NOD to continue; I think it should be automatic.

For this one, if I go above that grassy part, I can't go through. So when I jumped high enough to clear it, I was blocked by an invisible wall, and couldn't make the jump:
Storyofsonic.jpg

Anyway, even though there's really a lot of room for improvement, I'm actually seeing some potential in this mod. The most important thing to do right now though, is get some stable walking and jumping physics. This might be a hard hurdle to jump, but that and making good music are the first things you want to do to get this mod off the ground.

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
First off, the title in the main menu says it's by Jethawk.
Will fix for next version.
Second, I know that the remix of endless mine by GIRakaCHEEZER is good, but it's not the most fitting thing. If you're going to make a mod like this, you'd better get good at making music in ORGmaker, and at assembly hacking.
When I get around to it, I'll make a title screen theme from Sonic 1. Also, I'm currently trying to learn assembling.

Also, I really think it would make sense to resprite the power crystals into rings.
Will do, and hopefully it wont take to long.

And sometimes it's not real obvious that you're supposed to spindash to bust through a certain wall, and the way to do it is awkward.
Kind of included as a little extra, one of many that is included in this mod.

A random tile glitch that changes everytime. The worst part is that I can't figure out how to fix it... :(

Hint: you can go down!