startup problems

May 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I just bought cave story+ off of steam and when i try to start it i get a black screen with just my mouse cursor viewable. The music plays and I get the steam community message but nothing happens even after waiting 5 minutes. I also cannot alt-tab back in. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well as turning off triple buffering but it doesn't change anything. My laptops pretty bad but it has the requirements to run the game any suggestions?

May 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I don't have any suggestions, but I would like to say that for me it doesn't even start up.

May 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
okay I have just fixed this issue myself through a random stroke of luck and a lot of bashing my face against the keyboard (2 hours played without even starting a new game). The solution is to when you here the music playing press z once then down twice, then repeat. However next press the right arrow and this should change the screen scaling from stretch to sharp. This is not the ideal way of playing but you can at least play like this.