Starting point

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:29 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I have just been playing this game, just beat it, and have gotten into modding. I'd love to create my own mod, but I don't know where to start.

I have Cave Editor, but what else do I need to know?

Thank you!

And what is a flag? Like what the script <FL+XXXX does? And what is a Skipflag?

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:40 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
DaPhinoXX said:
I have just been playing this game, just beat it, and have gotten into modding. I'd love to create my own mod, but I don't know where to start.

I have Cave Editor, but what else do I need to know?

Thank you!

And what is a flag? Like what the script <FL+XXXX does? And what is a Skipflag?

You shouldn't need to know much else at this point.

Flags are things used to keep track of which events happened already in game, and are used a lot in scripting. To put it simply....

<FL+xxxx FLag + Set flag X
<FL-xxxx FLag - Clear flag X
<FLJxxxx:yyyy FLag Jump Jump to event Y if flag X is set

Skipflags work exactly like regular flags, but they are reset every time the executable is reloaded. They exist incase you need to speed up the text before a boss fight (so you only have to spend time reading it once, since you tend to die a lot during bosses).

Here's their commands:

<SK+xxxx SKipflag + Set skipflag X (remains set until program exits, to avoid repeating cutscenes/dialogue after retrying)
<SK-xxxx SKipflag - Clear skipflag X
<SKJxxxx:yyyy SKipflag jump Jump to event Y if skipflag X is set

You should have the TSC instruction set though, since it comes built in to the CE editor. I can still see why you asked about flags though.

Also npc flags and script flags are different. Whereas npc flag ids and script flags are related.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:43 AM
Is the instruction set the thing on the side of the script editor that says available commands, and that description box above it? Because it doesn't help to much, it just says how to format it and what it is used for. For <FL+ it just says "set flag x"

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:46 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
DaPhinoXX said:
Is the instruction set the thing on the side of the script editor that says available commands, and that description box above it? Because it doesn't help to much, it just says how to format it and what it is used for. For <FL+ it just says "set flag x"

I'd find that pretty useful, because that's exactly what it does. You'll have to tinker around with the game and it's commands before you get anywhere modding though, as there is no specific tutorial made for things like this.

Often what will be best is to look at existing tsc scripts, and learn from them.

It's a process most modders have had to go through, but I'm sure you'll learn how to script in TSC eventually.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:48 AM
Alright, thanks a bunch!