Speeed

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:27 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It feels like recently the forums have been running fine at times, and at other times it feels like it's running at a snail's pace. Just today I tried to search for something and it took about 2 minutes to actually get the results which imo is pretty ridiculous. About 10 Minutes ago it took me less than 10 seconds for the same search term. From what I remember this has been going on for a while.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:41 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Don't take speed. Drugs are bad.

Tbh the search function has always been shite. Is there even a way to improve it?

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:52 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't think it's the search function specifically, it's more an issue with the shared hosting box the forum's set up on. They generally serve thousands of websites at once and if one gets a lot of traffic / DDOS / is consuming undue amounts of resources, everyone else on the system suffers.
Or it's just plain oversold a.f.

@andwhyisit do you think something like a low-end DigitalOcean VPS would serve the site better? I can't imagine our footprint being too big, but then again I also have no idea how heavy this bad boy is on the back end.

it's also a lot of work to migrate so I understand if you're not too keen on that either.

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:16 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I've been noticing this as well. Once in a while, the forums will grow strangely lethargic even on Wi-Fi. After going through a few pages or waiting awhile, it will right itself and go back to a decent speed, so it isn't too big a problem on my end. Still somewhat odd, though...

On a completely unrelated note, yesterday I had 28 extra mailbox icons sitting pretty on the top right of the screen. They're gone now...not a one had any PMs for me anyway. :momo:

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:19 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It usually takes a minute or so to load a page (for me, at least).

Edit: DOUBLE POST GODDAMNIT

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:32 AM
War criminal
This could either be an issue with my computer, internet, or the website itself, but sometimes when I try to access the main page of the forums, the page would crash and say "Unable to load the website. Do you mean cavestory.org/forums?" and when I click on the link, it'll say the same thing again.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Yesterday it was down for less than a minute. I checked with this: http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/

And I have also noticed the horrible search. Took 5 minutes to load one time!

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Funnily enough the search function has never given me (time) problems, unlike the ones on several other sites I frequent :critter: Occasionally the forums are slow to load for me though, or are down briefly like what happened today.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Regarding how long it takes for the forums to load a thread (aka forever) I would assume that it's either my internet or the forums provider being the issue here.
Or maybe it's how many applications I have open.
Most likely not. But sometimes the forums even have the audacity to crash on me, on which I say "ow wow really first off how dare you"
Which is annoying most of the time.
Eugh.

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
The forums are a god damn memory-hog, which I've noticed after getting slightly less-powerful internet. Before it ran fine, but that's cause it was quite good internet, but now I can really notice speed issues.

which is annoying because I like quick answers to my modding questions :<

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I know in te OP I only described the search feature being slow and probably should have made it obvious that it was forums-wide. Oops.

I just tried to load a thread and it took me 2 minutes just now. There were only 3 posts on the page :muscledoc:

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Not sure if this is related but, I got this error earlier today when the forums were running overly slow...

SQL Error

An error occured with the SQL server:

This is not a problem with the IPS Community Suite but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.
Could the database be an issue? Or was it a fluke.

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:59 AM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I got
www.cavestory.org Driver Error
There appears to be an error with the database.
which is better

it's like pokémon catch 'em all except they're all bug types

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:27 AM
War criminal
X-Calibar said:
Not sure if this is related but, I got this error earlier today when the forums were running overly slow...

Could the database be an issue? Or was it a fluke.
I just got this same error as well
p187229-0-kmft89i.png

And I wonder if this is a recurring problem today.

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Noxid said:
do you think something like a low-end DigitalOcean VPS would serve the site better? I can't imagine our footprint being too big, but then again I also have no idea how heavy this bad boy is on the back end.
Working on that. Trouble is that after getting the vps server you have to configure the damn thing manually via SSH. It is seriously time consuming.

I'm only just back from a vacation btw.