Space Channel 5

May 28, 2011 at 3:07 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."

There's an old gem for the Dreamcast that, as far as I can tell, isn't very well known. It's called Space Channel 5, and it's like the lovechild of Dance Dance Revolution, Simon Says, and a LOT of mushrooms. In space. They also made a SEQUEL, Space Channel 5 Part 2, which you can get of Steam for... $9? I haven't played the first one, but I've played Part 2 and it's a lot of fun.

In short, you're a reporter who has to fight evil and save the galaxy through the power of dance. Sounds ridiculous? You bet it does. Yet, it has such a strong, upbeat style that it grows on you very quick (that, or you want to burn it in a fire for being so excessively Japanese). Each level is choreographed to a handful of songs. Enemies will appear on the screen/dance to the music, shouting inputs that you have to copy in accordance to the rhythm of the song. It's great fun, and while it's a little short (at least Part 2 is, you can beat it in a handful of hours), it has VERY good replay value. Also it has Michael Jackson SPACE MICHAEL

May 28, 2011 at 6:27 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Cripplechair said:
(that, or you want to burn it in a fire for being so excessively Japanese)

Space Channel 5, you are charged with Japanesiness in excess of "holy shit what the fuck." How do you plead?

Guilty, your honour.

The sentence for this crime is 9 weeks of gritty cover-based shooters. May God have mercy on your soul.