Sound problems

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:09 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
When I play Cave Story on a specific computer, certain notes in the music are missing sometimes. Does CS use MIDIs for the music? Does anyone know how to fix this?

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:13 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Sounds like a soundcard issue to me.
Try disabling hardware accelleration and see if that fixes it.

Barring that, it could be that the WAVE100 resource in the EXE has become corrupt.
Try redownloading the game.

Failing all of that, I have no idea.

And no, CS use a custom music format called an ORG.
It's quite similar to a midi, but way more awesome.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:25 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How do I disable hardware acceleration? Also this: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/1095/ is the same problem I'm having. He explains it better though it doesn't seem to offer a solution.

I've also redownloaded the game already so that's not the problem.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:57 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I kind of have this problem. sometimes the music in CS sounds sooooo out of tune so i dunno whats happening there. And maybe try playing CS on a different pc? or have you got a PSP?

Mar 14, 2010 at 8:54 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
No I don't have a psp. For now I thinl I'll just deal with it. It takes away from the game but it's still playable. I've beaten it once on another pc and now I'm going for best ending completion.

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:35 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Hardware accel:

To turn off the hardware acceleration: control panel > Sounds and Audio Devices (make sure you're in classic view for control panel). Click on audio tab, then go to "Advanced" button in the sound playback section. Another window will pop up, then go to performance tab. Drag the "Hardware Acceleration" to "None".

This is for Windows XP. Should be similar on a Vista or other machine, though I dunno.

[If you have another computer/laptop, I would just try playing CS on that one.]

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:20 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey guys I registered just to ask about this

So I'm very interested in the game, the play is smooth and the music, when heard properly, is very charming. My initial problem is that some notes would randomly be way too loud.

I took people's advice and put Hardware Acceleration to None, but now it sounds like some of the music slows down and gets distorted (broken up a bit in places)...is there a happy medium? A lot of places just say 'try it on a different computer' but it must be a soundcard issue that should be addressed...though i doubt many people will care now that it's on WiiWare

thanks to anybody who can help! gonna go back to fiddling with it.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:31 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I don't know about the hardware problem, but most of the people on this forum care much more about the pc version than the wiiware version :3

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:20 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Hey, I had this exact same problem, and all kinds of similar sound issues back when I first played Cave Story on an old HP laptop in 2006. I even had the exact same problems listening to the music in OrgView... only listening to MP3s could I actually hear what it was supposed to sound like.

You know what actually fixed it? Downloading VIDEO CARD drivers. I know it makes no sense, but I'd download drivers for both my sound and video card and see if either works. One definitely should.

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:05 PM
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I love you ragnaroq.
Whoda thunk the graphics drivers?

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My apologies for not following up on this, I had kinda lost interest in Cave Story, maybe this was part of the problem.

The odd coincidence is that I had recently downloaded new video drivers to get a fan speed issue fixed, which it did wonderfully, and I've been super happy with the way current-gen PC games run. It could be audio drivers, I'll give that a shot when my current build of MAME isn't annoying me. Thanks