///soUldier\\\ - the new CS mod

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi, forum! I created a manga book, called SoUldier and I was thinking about creating a CS mod based on SoUldier. I already have the story pretty much figured out and so the character design. Problem is, I tried do make that CS mod once with the help of a friend of mine and we stopped even before the project begining, because he bought World of Warcraft and got addicted. Then, I have classes and I haven't been able to develop this project. It's very diferent from the original CS, it's a completely diferent story, with different characters, environments, weapons

What I can tell to the forum, is that it's a very deep story, I'm hoping for two endings if everything runs smoothly (hell yeah!!!) lots of twists and turns, different creatures, a different level up system, lots of action and puzzles, riddles.... that's it, basically.

So, share with me your ideas and hope you respond and give me a hand in this... You can also send me some rubbish you don't need (sprites, backgrounds, monsters...) so I can use as inspiration in this mod.

Anyway, the project has taken off, hope everything is going to work and I'm gonna need my chair to start working on this...a lot (maybe I'll sleep on it, eat on it, don't care as long as I can do some serious work). This thread will include the progression of the mod, so, be sure to check on it once in a while for uploaded content!

The project is in a stand by for now. I have exams in June, and I can resume it when I finally get some vacation time. Don't worry, it's NOT STOPPED, ok? I will get on with it as soon as I have time, I promise.

Thank you for tolerating my bad english:p

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
That's a decent drawing, but the part where the wrist connects to the arm seems a bit too fat, don't you think?

As for the mod, well...do you have any programming experience?

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:25 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
yes i have that feeling as well, pitty I don't have the rest of it or the logo (stupid teacher, she had to ask for the visual diaries in the last day...)

And programming... Nope, I don't. I have in character design and I've done some scripting for GTA, I've done two rubbish map mods and never uploaded them, but I'll give it a shot for programming. Now that I think about it, maybe I should start developing the game and THEN, hope for someone to help me. Because, sometimes ideas don't take off and so... I'm gonna begin developing it and TRY to do some programming and post concrete pixel artwork and THEN hope for some atention. I can't give any more information about the project unless people are willing to help me. Don't wanna spoil anything. But those were nice questions, really. My friend really made some flash games, but I don't talk to him for some time. He deleted his e-mail account for some reason. I'm still lucky he lives in the same place.

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:46 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Right we need to talk, im willing to make this mof with you but not for you, i will do the whole scripting and some of the sprites but you gotta do the designs and stuff and i want a tiny bit of the story to be mine but yeah i do want to do this

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
JetHawk95 said:
Right we need to talk, im willing to make this mof with you but not for you, i will do the whole scripting and some of the sprites but you gotta do the designs and stuff and i want a tiny bit of the story to be mine but yeah i do want to do this
Oh no, I had no intentions in sitting on my couch, watch tv all day while you would to the dirty work. Of course we'll work together.

Scripting is the trickiest part, because it's a completely different language and requires time and nerves of steel... which I don't have. All the scripting I made for GTA was very simple but in CS, commands are very complex.

I'm currently doing pixel artwork for intro screens. I started today by modifying the loading screen...

About the story, as I said, It's in a fairly developed phase. But you're still in time to give your opinion about it, possible mistakes, clichés, scenes we might not be able to represent in the game if needed, we can change it, bend it to your will.

I might also be able to modify maps, now that I have more experience, according to the story's environment

And... in about 14 days starting today, I'm gonna be able to show you the rest of the book. To send pictures, drawings, files and the story board I'll need your e-mail. Do you have windows live msg? If you do, that would be ideal to share content. I look foward to working with you :)

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:38 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
///soUldier\\\ - The almost n-th new CS mod

!!!H0 said:
Scripting is the trickiest part, because it's a completely different language and requires time and nerves of steel... which I don't have. All the scripting I made for GTA was very simple but in CS, commands are very complex.
Whoa, Cave Story scripting, complex?
You're not talking about the TSC scripts, are you?
That stuff is incredibly simple...
You should really check out some of the editors, namely Cave Editor or Sue's Workshop, it's not very difficult to mod Cave Story. {Just don't use both, they don't play well together on the same EXE}
Cave Editor has all of the TSC commands lined up and defined directly right of whatever script you're modifying... {You can even download the script editor by itself if you want to use Sue's Workshop, but want the functionality of Cave Editor's scripting}
It doesn't get much more simpler than that....

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well, if you need a script debugger, I'm your guy.
I'm not really willing to write scripts from scratch for ya, but if you give it half a shot I can maybe make it work.

Oh, and because I'm obligated to link it: A newbies guide to CS modding.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Mar 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ok, I'm gonna send you the whole story and start working on this ASAP.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:48 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thank you Dragon Boots, but I already knew about your guide and read it. It's very well done, good job... but I get the feeling the advanced guide is far from completition, Isn't it? Anyway, the basic guide already has the needed information.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Re: ///soUldier\\\ - The almost n-th new CS mod

Yes, I'm talking about TSC scripting. I mean, that's the way you make events work, open doors, chests, items...

You already made some mods, but I'm breaking new ground... for me, because I have never done this before. XD
I only have experience with paint, Sue's workshop, but for the scripting... AAAAHHH!!!, I gess I don't know where to start. I would use cave editor for it. Anyway, two brains work better than one brain and maybe this way we'll be able to make a good mod. When it's ready, I'll edit the thread for media fire so you guys can play it. I'll post some pictures. But I already discovered a problem with CS. What do you do to edit the pbm format with? I know pbm=bmp but if you do that and edit, the game stops working do I have to change it to bmp for editing and change it back to pbm? Or is there a easier way to do it?

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:42 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Get <TRA to work. Then <MOV, and see if you didnt screw up <END.

The rest sorta falls into place.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:09 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
All I have to say is,

If you want to make a mod, then go and make it!

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:36 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
whyme said:
All I have to say is,

If you want to make a mod, then go and make it!

Yeah, those were my exact first thoughts about the subject. When you start with the ideas you think It's gonna be fun, you'll be playing it in no time, everybody will say they love your mod... But as much as I try to do this for fun and try not to take it seriously, that's just impossible. Something is always wrong, you discover problems, barriers you can't seem to overcome. You can't let your personal life interfere with it or you're screwed.

I know this might not seem true, but then why do we have like 80 mods or something and 95% of them are not complete? In the remaining 4% we have hell mods and challenges, I don't think there are many full stories and prequels or sequels to the original CS that are fully complete.

Anyway, I appreciate your optimistic aproach on the issue. Hope this situation changes changes for the best. People really gotta make this for a living! I might be thinking this way but the mod is still being developed.

May 10, 2010 at 2:26 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
!!!H0 said:
I know this might not seem true, but then why do we have like 80 mods or something and 95% of them are not complete? In the remaining 4% we have hell mods and challenges, I don't think there are many full stories and prequels or sequels to the original CS that are fully complete.

There's Jenka's Nightmare.

But I am not entitled to say anything bcuz MY CS sequel-type-thing, The Mimiga Army, isn't done.....

May 10, 2010 at 2:30 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Technically, Broxxus Classic was a finished mod. Really, the reason there's so many unfinished mods is because it's easy to start out and have an idea, but it's fairly difficult to go anywhere with it and keep it good.

May 10, 2010 at 2:47 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There's Jenka's Nightmare.
Jenka's was never finished, and Broxxus was vanquished from the forums at the request of Ral (as you very well know, fire).

There are two finished full-length mods (TWOR and that other one).
Rest are minimods/incomplete.

May 10, 2010 at 3:36 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Lace said:
Jenka's was never finished, and Broxxus was vanquished from the forums at the request of Ral (as you very well know, fire).

Tale of the Broxxus is different from Broxxus classic. The Broxxus was the world that contained all of the Broxxus canon that was spread across four different mods. The first was lost to history, the second was simply "The Broxxus," the third was "Legend of the Broxxus," better known simply as "Broxxus Classic." The fourth and final one, the only that remains unfinished, is the "Tale of the Broxxus" we all know today.

When Ralren released his very last demo, he also released a speedrun edition of Broxxus Classic with a majority of the text removed, no save points, and a timer.

May 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I played both tale of the broxxus and jenka's nightmare. I think they are the best mods. Mainly jenka's, because although jenka's takes a lot from the original CS, it had so many puzzles and stuff and it was balanced when it comes to fun/difficulty. That is hard to achieve comparing to other mods- because either you have a mod where you have a series of tricky jumps and 3hp and then there are others where you have a straight corridor bursting with enemies. Xaser's mod is also great, but I don't want to start a fight trying to see who has the best mod.