Sonic CD and Cave Story have a really similar base plot

Jun 5, 2024 at 7:37 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
What the title said: "Hero is on an unknown island and has to save its species from a mad doctor". Just a little fun thing I realized

Jun 5, 2024 at 8:07 PM
Serri Online
Moo
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
As someone who has never played Sonic CD (such blasphemy, i know), you think you can also just laydown the gist for the whole story? I'm lost even with the basic description you provided.

Jun 5, 2024 at 8:36 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
As someone else who has played Sonic CD, the storyline goes something like this: Robotnik has a miniature planet in his sights called Little Planet, which notably houses the seven Time Stones, mysterious jewels that give its owner the ability to manipulate time. Sonic finds the planet chained to the ground, notices Robotnik building a fortress on the bottom of the planet, and decides it's up to him to stop Robotnik's plan.

So yeah, I suppose they do share a similar plot of stopping a villain from exploiting a floating island/planet's resources to take over the world. Then again, a lot of games can be compared based on their base plots. Crash Bandicoot is another game with a superficially similar premise of stopping the mad doctor from making mutants out of the island's native animals. And come to think of it, a good chunk of the Sonic series in general also focuses on Robotnik trying to turn animals into robots for his army.

Doesn't mean that Cave Story took inspiration from Sonic for its plot, necessarily. It just goes to show that environmental plots are a common trope, perhaps only below the damsel-in-distress plot point.

Jun 5, 2024 at 8:50 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
oh yeah sure i didn't mean it took inspiration, it was just a fun thing i noticed

Jun 6, 2024 at 4:42 PM
World's #1 Laharl Kinnie
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The founding of the USA has a similar plot to Cave Story:
A well-off man invaded a far off land and exploited its people and natural resources and exploited the native citizens into infighting or servitude under the threat of death. The actions of this invader dismantled a surprisingly peaceful land, killing countless innocents and exploiting countless more. But this power is the result of a threat that has been there for long before anyone involved, and it alone has the power to corrupt people and grants them power that makes them seemingly unstoppable. The only way to take them down is through the combined efforts of resistance fighters from other lands teaming up with the natives to take down this man.

Too bad we're living in the timeline where Quote and Kazuma pussied out and the doctor took over the world.

Generally when plots are talking about someone trying to take over the world usually it's just a thinly veiled allegory for colonialism, more specifically actual real-world examples that play out over and over and over again. Be it the US, Israel, or Russia, the goal and methods are always the same. The doctor is a colonizer, Dr. Robotnik is a colonizer, and they both do pretty good jobs at gaslighting people into being complicit with what they do.

Jun 7, 2024 at 4:34 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
ffb.jpg

Jun 10, 2024 at 4:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Cave Story and Manic Miner have the same base plot: the protagonist is in a cave.

Jun 13, 2024 at 3:20 AM
Based Member
If I wanted to draw a parallel between a Cave Story game and a Sonic game, I would have picked out Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Instead of a little planet like we see in Sonic CD, S3K actually has a floating island that is uncannily similar looking to the one in Cave Story (probably influenced Cave Story), and a doctor stealing a precious magical gem (the master emerald). There's even a plot point that involves the island falling to the ground in S3K, and one of the goals is to restore the island's ability to float, which also I suspect may have had some influence on Cave Story. Also, in most endings for S3K, after you defeat the final boss, you start falling from the sky, and one of your friends (Sonic or Tails, depending on who you're playing as), catches you with the plane.

Not sure why you picked Sonic CD instead, the parallels are far more scarce.

Jun 13, 2024 at 3:31 AM
Serri Online
Moo
At this point the Shadow cameo in Sue Story has to be canon now, because of how similar they really are.

Jun 13, 2024 at 8:36 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
which also I suspect may have had some influence on Cave Story. Also, in most endings for S3K, after you defeat the final boss, you start falling from the sky, and one of your friends (Sonic or Tails, depending on who you're playing as), catches you with the plane.
I actually asked Pixel if the normal ending was inspired by Sonic 2 on his BBS back in 2013, he said "I have never seen sonic's ending.". The island was most likely just inspired by the same movie that inspired S3K, Castle in the Sky.
I really want to know what Pixel's experience is with SEGA games/Sonic, we know all about his Nintendo inspirations but the only thing on the opposite side is that CS build where Ballos was replaced with a Fantasy Zone boss. I hope he gets asked about it in an interview someday.

Jun 14, 2024 at 7:07 PM
Based Member
I actually asked Pixel if the normal ending was inspired by Sonic 2 on his BBS back in 2013, he said "I have never seen sonic's ending.". The island was most likely just inspired by the same movie that inspired S3K, Castle in the Sky.
Oh, nice. I stand corrected then on my assumption that Sonic 2 or S3K influenced Pixel.