Votes: 1 20.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bruh I don't even have linux how would I know lol

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
Jun 8, 2020 at 11:03 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
This really shouldn't've taken this long, but it did.
This isn't exactly a cave story mod, but I don't know where else I'd put it.
For those that don't know, Plymouth is the program that handles the startup screen for certain Linux flavors.
(I know it comes by default on Ubuntu; other flavors I'm not sure about.)
The windows comparison would be the rotating dots and windows logo during Windows startup.
You can change what it shows during startup by theming Plymouth, so I did that to make it show the kings cutscene, because you know, it's the Cave Story startup cutscene?
Anyways -
it took way too long to make this because this is my first ever Plymouth theme and also I had to figure out an animation system for Plymouth scripts (they don't exactly have a built-in one, just a function that's called 50 times a second).
I think I got the timing a little wrong but other than that it's around 90% accurate.

Screenshots:
well uh
It looks like the kings cutscene, and that's about it.
after the cutscene's over it shows the loading thing.
I also can't start screenshot software at that point, so it's not like I could put anything here anyways.

Download for those that want to try it
Code:
sudo cp -R /path/to/extracted/files/kings /usr/share/plymouth/themes/
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/share/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /usr/share/plymouth/themes/kings/kings.plymouth 250 && sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

Attachments

• kings.zip
    178 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 2:44 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I tried it and it's super amazing I love it!! (also nice to see a fellow linux user lmao)
The only suggestion I have is to perhaps replace Tux with the "LOADING" screen in CS?