Single best mod of all time?

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:18 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
So I know we've had this thread a thousand times, but I'd like a more recent one, and I want to know what you guys think is the SINGLE best mod, not just a list of best mods.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:32 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Cáve Story, no question.

[/thread]

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:20 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
The best mod of Cave Story would have to be Ika. Ika was a Cave Story mod developed by Kirito Uzumaki, and it was a sequel to Ikachan, but it also tied in the plot to Cave Story. Some segments of the mod included Ikachan-like gameplay, while other segments were basic CS platformer shoot-em-up gameplay. The story revolved around Ikachan coping with the loss of Ironhead, who was killed by Quote shortly after the ship reached the island, and they found a new home in the waterways. Ikachan must confront Quote about his anger, and even fight him on several occasions. In the end Quote and Ika make up, and fight the true villain of the series, who I won't spoil. Of course, you can't find this mod anywhere, as the creator never posted it on the forums, and lost it when his computer got destroyed in a fire. I had one of the only existing copies, but that was deleted when I got a deadly computer virus. Ika was, and still is, quite possibly the best Cave Story mod ever made. There's a rumor that a copy still exists, but probably not. It's legend still lives on to this day, and will continue to live on. Even Pixel himself said the mod was a masterpiece.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:04 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Considering various things, it will be extremely hard to label a mod as 'the best' considering opinions can vary a lot.
If I'd had to say what my favorite mod would be though, it'd be Lunar Shadow.

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:48 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Rave Story. It is compelling, fun, and very much complete.

Video Game is good if you want something you can speedrun.

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:03 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I would put a self plug and say my own mod is the best one but my mod is bad and incomplete so the best mod??? that's a tough question to answer, there all many different parts of a mod that need to be done, so a lot of the time I'd assume it's very difficult to create a "complete mod".
And honestly, I haven't played enough mods to make that opinion of the best mod, so I'm just going to say my favorite mod is Terri's Night Out by TLinkan.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2017 at 8:34 PM
Soup Man
TBH, Ghost Kitten's Adventure is the best one I can think of.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:31 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Cave story - live and uncut

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:00 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Jenkas nightmare, no doubt. The amount of care that has been put into it is staggering. And while it doesn't reinvent the wheel as much as some mods, you almost cant beat a finished full-length mod with great writing, level design, and whatnot. Its cave story, but even bigger and better.

Lunar shadow comes in second for me. Massive area, lots of bosses and different sectors not to mention great sprite work and tile sets that make all the zones fell vastly different. I still would put jenkas nightmare over it, because the dialog and characters is not its strong suit, but it doesn't really matter that much. Amazing MetroidVania game and amazing tribute to MetroidVania games.

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:28 PM
"Huzzah!"
You can't go wrong with Rave Story. It's fun to play and the story is humorous. Not to mention it has an RPG-maker sequel which is also quite fantastic. However, the final boss will beat you up and take your lunch money, so beware.

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:54 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
The Donald Trump Cake Escapade

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:58 AM
Soup Man
Jun 7, 2017 at 5:09 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Jun 18, 2017 at 1:24 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You can't go wrong with Rave Story. It's fun to play and the story is humorous. Not to mention it has an RPG-maker sequel which is also quite fantastic. However, the final boss will beat you up and take your lunch money, so beware.
Ironically that's like, the one boss I didn't die to.

Jun 18, 2017 at 1:49 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
blargo 6.1 and blargo 8

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:14 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Jenka's Nightmare, Practically the closest thing there is to a sequel to CS, Difficulty is raised in a good way... I have nothing else to say, im sorry :^(

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:16 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I personally found Jenka's Nightmare and the Fourth Ending mod to be one of the best mods I've played. As for incomplete mods, I say King's Story to be very great, and I find it disappointing that it was left incomplete, the story was getting that good.