Searching for data formats

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:42 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm looking for the data formats that are used in and out of Cave Story. I've reviewed as many past posts I can find, getting the structure of npc.tbl down, and the .pxm format for maps was fairly easy to figure out on my own. Many thanks to Osmose for getting the .org format cracked. :)
In particular, I'm looking for pixtone formats for the sounds used in the games, the math(?) used in making the instruments for the music and sound, and the .pxe/.pxa formats that seem to be map-related.

Also, does anyone know if the maps choose their tileset somehow, or is that hardcoded into the game itself?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just got the .pxa format, which is also remarkably simple. I'll post my findings once I'm finished with these...

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:03 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Tilesets are hardcoded into the game.

If you open doukutsu.exe in a hex editor and search for the name of the map you want, you should see how it works.

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
pxe/pxa/pxm file formats

Here they are. There are notes on the .pxa file format at the bottom, and a few more questions arose while I worked on it. I wrote those there as well.

Attachments

• formats.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 92
Aug 2, 2006 at 5:54 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I don't have access to my notes from work, but once I get my intar-web at my appartment I'll post the algorithm for decoding tsc scripts. It's relatively simple, but could be useful for some.