Script help.

May 29, 2007 at 3:43 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'm making a mod for Cave Story, I have a few problems on scripts.
  • Sometimes the screen don't shows up, only the noise.
  • How I make cutscenes?
  • How I make he get an item?
  • How I insert variables/conditions?

May 29, 2007 at 4:47 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Have you got the TSC.txt document?

If not, it can be downloaded in the sticky in this forum. It's useful.

Edit: Ignore that. Links are broken, as you already knew. I'll see if I can upload mine.

Edit: Here, with some other texts I use sometimes:
http://www.dropfiles.net/filez/5136/suefiles.rar

These are some of the event commands that are relevant to your questions:

Set flag X: <FL+x
Clear flag X: <FL-x
Jump to event Y if flag X is set: <FLJx:y

I think someone described flags as switches once. It's a good description. They can either be on or off ("set" or "cleared"). They are used used to tell the game if a certain event has taken place (by setting the flag assigned to that event when it has happened).
Flags are the only trigger conditions that exist in this game (apart from Yes/No and weapons. see below)
I haven't got much experience using flags yet, someone else might be better suited to help you with that.

Ask yes or no, jump to event X if No: <YNJx

This is another way of running an event, depending on if the player says yes or no. If the answer is no another event will be run, otherwise the current event will continue (only 1 event can be run at any time)

Getting items:

Get item X: <IT+x
Get weapon X, add Y to max ammo :<AM+x:y
Lose weapon X: <AM-x
Jump to event Y if you have weapon X: <AMJx:y

You can find which number stands for what weapon or item in the TSC.txt file. For example, to give the player Arthur's key you'd write "<IT+0010" in the event. Remember that this only gives the player the item. It doesn't display its image or play the little tune that's supposed to be played. There are other commands for those.

Cutscenes involve removing the player's control of the main character and the use of text and NPC animations (which I'm not very good at). You'll learn more by looking at the scripts of the cutscenes in Sue's (together with the TCS file) than by me going on about it here.

May 29, 2007 at 6:09 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well as for the errors: If there are errors in your script, you should copy it and insert it here, otherwise Im not able to help you sorry...

May 31, 2007 at 6:33 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The screen may not be showing up while the sounds are may be because you didnt fade in. Use the <FAIxxxx command where x is the fade in type. ;)