Screen is covered by a black veil

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:58 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
What I mean is, sometimes when I eddit a map by trying to add an event or something (because theres no point if all you can do is change the maps tiles and copy/pase events) but it causes the screen to get covered by black, but I can still move around and everything, it's just covered by blackness.

Also, how do I check the Events and everything? Theres no proper guide (I checked...) and I'm having a hard time finding out how to do anything besides the simple stuff Sue's workshop does. How does everything in the "script" work? there are lots of things in there that I don't understand. How do I ADD NPCs, how to I work the events and everything? I might be able to figure it out if I could see everything but all I have access to is the "script" area and seeing codes which I have no idea what they mean.

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:34 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
As for your screen issue, it sounds like a script issue... make sure there's a <FAIx (fade in) that gets run in the script.

As for the other things, the best solution I can think of is to study the original Cave Story with Sue's Workshop... mess around with it a little. I find that learning things is much easier if you have all the tools needed to teach yourself. Make sure to also study the documents on SP's Cave Story FTP. (http://www.cavestory.org/forums/)
Such things as the TSC commands are generally well-documented, and easy to learn.

If all else fails, feel free to post specific questions on the forums! There are many qualified people willing to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Use <FAOx, x being 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, or 0004 in your script.
Make sure it's within the start event as well.
Additionally, this document on nearly all the TSC commands may benefit you.
www.superficial.tv/TSC.txt

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:58 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No, <FAOxxxx fades out. You need to use <FAIxxxx which is fade in.
xxxx being the number of secounds the screen needs to fade out/in.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:09 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
S. P. Gardebiter said:
No, <FAOxxxx fades out. You need to use <FAIxxxx which is fade in.
xxxx being the number of secounds the screen needs to fade out/in.

While I had the method wrong, the x isn't how long it takes to fade, it's the method, like from the left, top, right, bottom, or the middle-fade style. They all take the same amount of time.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:11 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Uhh, you're right. I'm sorry then.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:13 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Wow! Thank you =D Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough heh... EEEE! *Goes to learn stuff*

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:18 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
So I was right...
*Walks away slowly*