Save file help

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:28 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I want to get to the Sacred Grounds without having to complete the rest of the game. I have a MacBook Pro and the game plays perfectly, however I can't find the file in which the save data is kept. Could anyone shed some light on where to find it please.

Many thanks

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:41 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
The save data is kept in a file named "Profile.dat", but as I heard, the save format differs from the windows version of cave story

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:39 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pronouns: he/him
cookie said:
The save data is kept in a file named "Profile.dat", but as I heard, the save format differs from the windows version of cave story
It has some extra information at the start I've heard, but after that it is the same.

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, I've searched my laptop for a file called that and it can't find one anywhere. So I haven't a clue what to do...

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:13 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Pandemoniac said:
Yeah, I've searched my laptop for a file called that and it can't find one anywhere. So I haven't a clue what to do...

Erm check the folder in which you placed all Cave Story files in (Doukutsu Monogatari.exe... DoConfig.exe... blah blah blah....).
Then look for Profile in that folder.

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:25 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
If you haven't played through the game at least once, you're gonna have a hell of a bloody time in SG.

Besides, if you mean you don't wanna play through all over again for the hard ending, why not load a save from the labyrinth (I have a few if you tell me the weapon choices).

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:01 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
This is a simple question to answer... you're screwed.

The Mac version of Cave Story stores the save file within the single Cave Story file (the Mac equivalent of an executable (EXE)) rather than in a "profile.dat" file. The only way you could possibly change your save file would be to have someone else reach that point in the game, then have them give you the file, or hack the file itself and alter the data somehow (don't ask me how).

So yeah, my best recommendation would be to either:

1. Play through the game like normal and get to that point yourself
or
2. Play it on a computer running Windows, if at all possible.

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Jester Frog said:
This is a simple question to answer... you're screwed.

The Mac version of Cave Story stores the save file within the single Cave Story file (the Mac equivalent of an executable (EXE)) rather than in a "profile.dat" file. The only way you could possibly change your save file would be to have someone else reach that point in the game, then have them give you the file, or hack the file itself and alter the data somehow (don't ask me how).

So yeah, my best recommendation would be to either:

1. Play through the game like normal and get to that point yourself
or
2. Play it on a computer running Windows, if at all possible.

D:

I think he would've been less disturbed not knowing the answer to this question in his whole life than to realise that he can never ever find his save game...

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:05 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ah well, thanks very much. Yeah, I've played through the game several times. I just wanted to be able to complete the SG with different weapons without having to play through again and again. Thanks for your help, I'll just play it lots.

Do you know if Pixel has any plans for any other games?

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:41 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
If I had a mac, I'd just make copies of the executable and rename them as I reached places I wanted to save; essentially making save spots I think [since Cave Story is small in size it should be okay]

Long as you didn't want to edit the data, it should answer your problem.

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:55 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Back