Salvaging Corrupt Data

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:25 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Any idea how to fix it?

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Okay well I fixed your mod.

Download Mountain of Light Fixed

This took a lot of hex editing on the executable to get it right. Now, when I first saw the exe, it just had the default icon and not the Doukutsu icon, which led me to think "Oh great..." because that means the resource section is definitely messed up.

I wrote a Mint program to analyze the mapdata and basically gave up before realizing that I could probably copy the working mapdata from the original Cave Story program.

Now, this may be fixed, but I think you should try to rename all your maps to the original names. I always suggest not changing the filenames of the maps. Once you do this, your mod should be back to normal.

So that's that. The mod does start up correctly and you can play it. Tell me what you think.

Next time, please don't mix Sue's Workshop and Booster's Lab.
Also remember to make lots and lots of backups.

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
THANK YOU. Thank you, what you did was incredibly nice. If there is anything you EVER need just ask me. (I know Im inexperienced but someday I might be good enough to help you with stuff). Anyway again thank you VERY much.