Rosenkreuzstilette Feedback

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:51 PM
Darkside Overlord
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hello, people.

As I've stated many times on the Darkside Translations website, the Schwer and Schwer Alike blog, and, most recently, at Grolla's Dungeon, I'd like to hear what you all think about the quality of our localization. LadyMiaow has offered us some very kind words, but I'm disappointed to note that hers is the only critical assessment that we've received in the past seven months.

Sometime in the next few months, we intend to release an updated version of the Rosenkreuzstilette localization. We've made several tweaks here and there and updated the v1.06a executable, and Ryusui, the man behind the Breath of Fire II translation project, is giving our script a thorough examination. Still, we'd like to know what you think could use improvement. Does a part of our script not sound right to you? Did we miss the point of an intentional shout-out? Do you think you have a better idea for a certain line? Can you redraw a graphic better than we did? Whatever the case may be, let us know!

Remember, we can't fix something if we don't know it's broken, so don't hold back and let us know what you think.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:07 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
Well... May I ask, What is all of this?

It seems interesting.

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:09 PM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
what is Rosenkreuzstilette?

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM
Darkside Overlord
Rosenkreuzstilette is an old-fashioned 2D side-scroller created by indie developer [erka:es]. The game plays very much like the original Megaman series and makes plenty of shout-outs to old-school classics like Castlevania, Super Mario Bros., and Bomberman. In a nutshell, the game is a love letter to retro gaming.

In January of 2009, my group, Darkside Translations, teamed up with Schwer and Schwer Alike to localize the game into English. We released an English demo of the game on June 1, and the completed English version on July 15.

Right now, I'm trying to collect feedback so that I know what could use improvement (see my first post). As you've just demonstrated, not that many gamers even know that RKS exists (though, strangely enough, many seem to know about MegaMari, a Touhou / Megaman hybrid which was released at the same time).

English Project Page
- http://www.darksidetranslations.com/index.php?page=projects&project=rks

English Trial Download
- http://www.darksidetranslations.com/projects/rks-trial.exe

YouTube Preview by LadyMiaow
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1uU-ELbxFE

Game Review by AmethystViper
- http://schwer-muta.blogspot.com/2009/11/amethyst-reviews-rosenkreuzstilette.html

Hardcore Gaming 101 Review by Valesta
- http://hardcoregaming101.net/rosenkreuzstilette/rosenkreuzstilette.htm

Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in the RKS Wiki. In many cases, it passes off fan speculation as fact, to the point that two of the sequel's character designers criticized it in one of their doujins.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
TDOMMX;88065 said:
As you've just demonstrated, not that many gamers even know that RKS exists (though, strangely enough, many seem to know about MegaMari, a Touhou / Megaman hybrid which was released at the same time).
Well if it makes you feel any better I have never even heard of Megamari.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:34 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It's a testament to how long it's been since I've been here, because I didn't even know that the RKS board was gone and replaced with this. Oh well!

Basically, some code changes in the latest game patch made our previous TL patch obsolete, so we're going to release a new version that works with the newest version of the game. Instead of just updating what we have, though, we're going to try and release a finalized version of the script that everyone is happy with; there was a lot of drama involving the first script, so we're fixing all of it. In turn, we need feedback, just in case there's something everyone else saw that we didn't.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:03 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
TDOMMX;88065 said:
Rosenkreuzstilette is an old-fashioned 2D side-scroller created by indie developer [erka:es]. The game plays very much like the original Megaman series and makes plenty of shout-outs to old-school classics like Castlevania, Super Mario Bros., and Bomberman. In a nutshell, the game is a love letter to retro gaming.

eh, is it just me, or without the words Rosenkreuzstilette and [erka:es], this is pretty much the flavor text of cavestory? if cavestory had flavor text.

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:12 AM
Darkside Overlord
cultr1;92415 said:
eh, is it just me, or without the words Rosenkreuzstilette and [erka:es], this is pretty much the flavor text of cavestory? if cavestory had flavor text.
Based on what I've played of Cave Story myself (which, to be honest, isn't all that much since I haven't had much free time lately):

Cave Story is a throwback to gaming in the late 80's / early 90's, most noticeably in the graphics and gameplay departments. It feels very much like a 2D Metroid title, from the hour or so I managed to find the time to play through.

Rosenkreuzstilette is a throwback to gaming from the late 70's through the mid 2000's and plays like a traditional Megaman title. Whereas Cave Story's tributes are subtle, RKS's references are unmistakable shout-outs. The script contains references of varying levels of subtlety, but the sight gags and enemy AI are instantly recognizable to those who get the joke. Both titles are homages to retro gaming; they just take different approaches.

I'm disappointed to see many shallow gamers write off RKS as a reskinned Megaman clone, completely missing the point of what the game is all about. It's like they're expecting a Star Wars parody (like Spaceballs, Thumb Wars, or Blue Harvest) to not resemble its source material in any way.

In any event, quite a few people have interrupted me to ask about RKS while I was playing the game on my laptop since it quickly grabbed their attention. I've yet to find a single person who has played through Schwer-Muta's stage to the end and not recognized the genius behind it.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:18 AM
I enjoy that style of gaming, I guess I'll download it and take it for a spin tomorrow

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:54 AM
/end
TDOMMX;92422 said:
I'm disappointed to see many shallow gamers write off RKS as a reskinned Megaman clone

People really called it that? Wow. I guess people tend to forget about a thing called inspiration in which many games nowadays even if they're "new" games borrow at something from the games of the past.

I showed this game to one of my friend's who is an avid Megaman lover and he loved it, so I have to wonder why people are complaining about it borrowing things from Megaman and other older games.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:56 AM
MetaSeraphim;92446 said:
People really called it that? Wow. I guess people tend to forget about a thing called inspiration in which many games nowadays even if they're "new" games borrow at something from the games of the past.

I showed this game to one of my friend's who is an avid Megaman lover and he loved it, so I have to wonder why people are complaining about it borrowing things from Megaman and other older games.

Who cares about them? They can whine over something they're misinformed about, while we enjoy the game. It's kinda like megaman. Big deal. Writing it off as a clone with no play time is just their loss

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:52 AM
Darkside Overlord
MetaSeraphim;92446 said:
I remember back when Devil May Cry and Castlevania: Lament of Innocence first came out. Slightly paraphrased:

Devil May Cry: "3D Castlevania done right."
Lament of Innocence: "Devil May Cry clone."

So, ummm, yeah... Personally, I don't care what other titles a game plays like as long as I enjoy playing it.

MetaSeraphim;92446 said:
I showed this game to one of my friend's who is an avid Megaman lover and he loved it [...]
Sweet.

MetaSeraphim;92446 said:
[...] I have to wonder why people are complaining about it borrowing things from Megaman and other older games.
Some people think trashing other makes themselves and what they like look good in comparison. Kinda like schoolyard bullies. See also: political hopefuls, Apple Computer.

cultr1;92455 said:
Who cares about them? They can whine over something they're misinformed about, while we enjoy the game.
When people with power start making it a crime for you to own something based on their own bungled understanding of it, it's time to start caring. Sadly, this is already happening. For instance, it's no longer possible to legally obtain a copy of ef thanks to the backlash over Rapelay.

May 21, 2010 at 8:23 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
Hi,i'm Shakku! Thank you very much for the Rosenkreuzstilette translation! I knew about the game on Darkside website,found it on DLsite and now i'm playing it.Good platformer with beautiful characters...this is indeed a nice game! I like it a lot.