Relics from the Past (fuck me i'm in a dramatic mood)

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:20 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've noticed in my brief lurking that there are a lot of different people that used to be frequent flyers. Roonil Wazlib, Freezit... It's kind of spooky reading through conversations between all of these people. How they gradually disappear. And it's weird to think that it'll happen to us someday as well, and there'll be people who wonder who we were.

Idunno maybe it's the weeb in me but it just got me thinking.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:28 AM
Been here way too long...
So do you want to share those thoughts, or... was that it? If so, nope, I'm gonna be here forever, suck it.

Now if only those wonderful disappeared people were being replaced with people even half as good as them.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:33 AM
Professional Whatever
Thats true we haven't really uh
had the best users huh
Man theyre gonna think we're huge butts

But anyway I kinda wanted to hear other peoples thoughts about this and see if anyone has thought of this before.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:46 AM
I never thought about leaving a legacy for future users. I mean, I've thought about my old posts, and how anyone who reads those instead of my current posts would get a very different idea about me. I always assumed that I'd be around to beat new users into a pulp until Andy stops paying for hosting and we relocate. Now that you mention it, though, future people can suck my nuts. Hear that, future people? Find my nuts and suck them.

Seriously though, I would feel proud about leaving a museum of conversation, if the conversation didn't suck.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I've thought of this MANY times, as you know.

I have been to the deepest, most ancient parts of the forums a few times, and it's such a different world you'd think it was a different website altogether...oh wait! It was. :p

But really. I kind of wish I could have been there myself to see it. Perhaps there was more spam threads and certain people who would no doubt make the life of someone like me a veritable pain...but it was a more reckless time, a fun-loving wild circlejerk of lovely proportions...

and now, we can never get that time back again. Only look at the past in quiet and sterile silence.

Tell me...

Have you ever talked to the ancient ones? The grand, important men like Xaser, Dooey, RuneLancer, SeriousFace...the original movers and shakers of the Cave Story modding and hacking community? Alas, though their works and worlds stand as resolute as the heavens, they all mysteriously faded away at the height of their triumph, their profiles forever silenced, their monuments left in stasis. Broken hopes and unknown dreams dot the threads of granite.

It is true that, once in a blue moon, a member's shade is sighted. An example would be Shmitz's mini return during the winter of 2011. Many gushed at him, he replied in kind, and young, zealous LunarSoul told him of the metal ending he had crafted to a mod of silken fiber. Shmitz assured him he would seek this apprentice's work and tell of whether he approved.

But there is a certain irrefutable calling...the sorrowful truth from a guardian angel, or the silent pull of dreaming demons...perhaps, behind his flustered happiness, was a quiet worry, stemming from a latent knowledge of his fate. Did he leave because he didn't like the well-meaning necromorph, despite its efforts, but didn't want to bruise a budding achievement, not yet flowered? Did he believe this revival to be the only way to have a finished work, its original creator only wanting rest after so long? Or was it something else altogether?

Regardless of our thoughts, our speculation, it is likely we will never know. Shmitz never did get back to Lunar - now a regretful, altered young man named MagicDoors - and he once again fell into the cradle of the Real-life, never to be seen again.

And then there are the sides to a person you may have never known. Whether we accept - or even become aware - or not, we are all subject to the metamorphing winds of Time. I can only pray such a fate does not befall me, who can only peer anxiously into the darkness, phone in hand...

Let's look at possibly our most famous face. Let's look at Noxid.

Most new members know Noxid as a fearsome Modertator of the Heavens 2000, one who smites wrongdoers and makes snarky jokes with all of the wisdom of Booster and all of the power of King. Some particularly ignorant users even fancy Noxid the administrator of the Administrator of the entire forum!

But...

All of us, even the most powerful, even the most famous, started as a hesitant voice looking to find a friend.

I'd like to show those newer members Noxid in Alpha, Noxid from a time so long ago as to be a fairy tale.

Noxid said:
I know absolutely nothing about assembly, but these look pretty straightforward and with good directions. I will have to give it a try :)

I have a question however; Is it possible to use assembly hacking to modify the characteristics of npc's as well? More specifically, I'm interested in whether or not you can remove the "bounce" from the XP triangles. Looking at what you have for the fireball, I figure it wouldn't be impossible, so long as you knew where the data was stored. My guess is that finding that would be the hard part...
This is Noxid.

Noxid just joined the forums two days ago. He's not a hacking master - here, he is seen asking his predecessors Dooey, GIR and Lace for information he does not know. He's not a seasoned modder - in fact, he is still learning the ropes. And he's certainly no legendary moderator. So close to his genesis, so far away to our reality, Noxid is little more than another new member, only distinguished by his polite manner and optimistic, eager resolve to learn.

He also uses a :) unironically.

That alone, perhaps, must leave a distant, echoing feeling of how far away that past is, and how much he gained...and lost.

It would be improper of me to dig up any more old spirits. But pick a member - almost any member, anyone you can think of - and go to the beginning of their profile comments or posts.

You may be surprised. Perhaps even frightened.

Let's go back further.

Far past Noxid and GIR, far past Fabulous and Cultr and Desu and Meta, all the way to the beginning of the forums.

I can't say I know very well of what transpired. I was not there, and such little record remains that, like the creation of heaven and earth, I can only have faith that it happened the way it did.

But regardless, there remains one at the center of it. You likely already know of SkyeWelse, the Alphadministrator, creator of tribute site and forum alike, and ancestor to our Omegadministrator andwhyisit. But do you know of all of the old staff, the true first settlers of this empty new forum?

There is the mysterious darkannex, having joined even earlier than Thomas himself. But darkannex has no avatar, only one post (two if counting a Sattelite Lounge post), and almost no details of its connection to SkyeWelse or anything else. Just who was it?

There is Shirofan, his longtime friend since 2001. It could be argued that Shiro was the most serious of the three lost administrators, having come back in 2009 to aid Skye in fixing up MiraiGamer.

And lastly, there is the enigmatic PenPen. As the first and only female(?) administrator, as well as the only recorded Penguin Administrator in history, PenPen possessed a pure disposition and an innocent posting style.

Together, these four (if the sole thread I found can be trusted) created our original home, miraigamer.net.

There are untold souls I could not share here, interesting people and lovely threads that would take ever longer to display for us. I can only request that you look to the past. Sit, and browse, and wonder. For the requiem of a forum comes not with a 404, but with the cultural degradation of passing time, the rift between old and new, and silence.

★★★★★

So uh...yeah. Stuff has changed a bunch.

I'm still fine! Yeah...but I'll just go get some cookies and milk, because I /just/ got away from depression and I don't believe huge posts like these are good for my fledgling mental health. O_o

Sorry for accidentally making your thread into a funeral, Doors! D:

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Do you want to add some chapter numbers and a table of contents to that?

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Captain Fabulous said:
leaving a legacy for future users.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legacy complete.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
Do you want to add some chapter numbers and a table of contents to that?
Oh, don't be silly. It's only 1176 words, or 4 minutes of reading. I've made things 4 times that size. :rolleyes:

I will put it in a spoiler if you actually do care, though.

HyMyNameIsMatt said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legacy complete.
The monument of a true inspiration. :p

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM
You... haven't seen poetry on the internet?

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar is the oldest still active member I could find.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:34 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Yup! And DoubleThink isn't terribly far behind...

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:12 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Shame that Americans to this day still use Indian.

Anyway imo it looks like the forums were kinda shit back in the day. And by in "the day" i mean like 2009ish :V

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:29 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Wild Desu said:
Anyway imo it looks like the forums were kinda shit back in the day. And by in "the day" i mean like 2009ish :V
There was a period where things just went to shit, spam (of the human variety) was rife, and moderation was at an all time low.

Late 2009 was when I decided to make an announcement stating that absolutely all rule breaking I caught on to would be an instantly temp-bannable offense until people pulled their heads in.

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:50 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
andwhyisit said:
moderation was at an all time low.

Late 2009 was when I decided to make an announcement stating that absolutely all rule breaking I caught on to would be an instantly temp-bannable offense until people pulled their heads in.
I'll say.

And it looks like it worked for the most part? The bad ones have been weeded out. Of course, standards of what is bad differ from then and now, if you feels me >w>

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Strange how people who joined in 2009 have been here for a while now.

Well, I guess it isn't 2010 any more!

The main thing I remember about the old days, was that modding was way more important than it is now. I guess there were proportionately more people who made content instead of using it or just talking about random stuff.

I'll never understand the baby-boom that happened in 2009 though.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I think modding is still as "important" as it was before, but it's just more important to the newer crowd than it is to the older crowd.

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
There was a period where things just went to shit, spam (of the human variety) was rife, and moderation was at an all time low.

I still remember the day wedge got his tempban for one-liners. I think that kind of marked a turning point, so to speak.