Reference different save file mod.

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:42 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
If you're like me, you probably have several different save files for Cavestory (low hp run, at hell with spure, with snake ect.)
Here's a simple way to get your .exe to reference a different save file.
Simply open the exe in your hex editor, search for Profile.dat, and change it to something like Profile.dan, then save the exe as something else. Rename the Profile you want that exe to reference as Profile.dan and you a quick way to start up the game at a completely different point. :D

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:07 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
That would only create more files, and be harder to remember which one holds which profile. Although i suppose if you rename the .exe itself, you should be OK, but it's still a lot of files (for me anyway).

I'll be fine with renamed Profiles.

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:37 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I did that for my mod, when i did Backup Saves for testing :D

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:47 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Sontreal said:
That would only create more files, and be harder to remember which one holds which profile. Although i suppose if you rename the .exe itself, you should be OK, but it's still a lot of files (for me anyway).

I'll be fine with renamed Profiles.
I see what you mean, but when you're renaming profiles every other time you play it starts to make some sense.
It really only is practical when you've got a couple profiles that you use all the time such as a hell run and a 3hp run. With those two exe's I can have fun racing the clock at one point, then go back to inching a long attempting to avoid all damage.

Aug 22, 2006 at 5:39 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It's a shame Pixel never considered multiple save files. Or maybe he did and scrapped the idea for whatever reason, but it's still a shame.

The debug save option allows you to name your save files, but there's no debug load option to do the same thing. :/