Recent Windows 7 Issues (August 2014)

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've been having a lot of problems with my computer. It's a Toshiba laptop with WIndows 7 installed. I've found out that there have been some buggy updates lately from Microsoft for Windows 7 that cause problems such as blue screens of death et cetera. However, apparently they also removed the updates since then. The effects also don't match up well with my system's issues. For about a week now, my computer has been extremely slow, taking forever to open skype and chrome (as well as several other programs) and becoming unresponsive every couple of minutes. I've had to safe mode system restore twice in the last three days. This could probably be a problem with something I've downloaded too, I don't know. I just want to see if anyone else knows anything.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Been here way too long...
Open up task manager and check out which processes are using up the most CPU and/or RAM. Uninstall anything that's shitting up your fuck. Now click on Start, type in msconfig, and hit enter. Go to the Startup tab and uncheck anything you don't want starting up with Windows. If you haven't found any problematic programs yet, download Malwarebytes and do a scan, I guess.
Also does Microsoft really remove updates? I figured they just patched them in the next update.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:35 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
That's awfully strange. I've been running Windows 7 on my PC and I haven't run into any problems since I built it this March.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:51 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I have a win 7 64 bit and I haven't had any issues with any updates, so I'm going to assuming it's something else.

#1 Have you downloaded any programs lately?

#2 do you know what's running on your computer? (I mean, like right now, open up the task manager and see)

this is what mine looks like, I'm a nut about keeping my comp in tip top shape and I mantain it every day.
taskmanager_zps547a1cb1.png

nothing out of the ordinary, Google chrome, my firewall, a meter for my internet usage, my graphic card setting thing, skype, a snipping tool to take that picture, steam, the task manager, winamp, some OS related programs running in the background, and my Xbox 360 controller receiver.

(the reason I named it all is because you should know everything that's running in the background, or else it would count as suspicious)

#3 Do you have a good firewall/antivirus? I use comodo firewall (free version) and malwarebytes, both good programs, I scan my entire computer once a week right before I go to bed. (and I have the computer auto shut off when the scan is complete)

#4 Have you ever defragmented you hard drive? it's a good idea to do so every once i a while, I use the auslogics disk defragment (windows built in one sucks) as soon as I found about this, I defragmented my hard drive 5-10 times a day until it was optimized and in perfect condition.

#5 CCleaner also helps with speed, the cleanup and the Registry cleaner can help you clean up stuff.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Professional Whatever
Captain Fabulous said:
Also does Microsoft really remove updates? I figured they just patched them in the next update.
I thought they did. As in, preventing the faulty updates from being automatically downloaded.

But yeah I'll see if anything else is shitting up my fuck. Thanks for the help.

Blink you have 6 chrome processes

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The problem's certainly not exclusive to 7, and since you've probably heard me bitching on Skype how my own PC was crashing frequently, I have some things that worked for my own computer and my sister's Toshiba.
- Depending on what your graphics card manufacturer is, you could try updating all the drivers for said card. The result of this would be no more blue screens and less freezing, which is how our computers were fixed.
- If your computer's getting hot and making some loud airy noises, then your fan could be starting to get old or dysfunctional (Toshiba laptops have had awful fans for as long I can remember), which would, in turn, slow down your processor, even crashing if it got too hot.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Doors said:
Blink you have 6 chrome processes
Chrome runs more and more processes the more tabs you open. It's really a terrible memory hog (why I generally use firefox over it).

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Professional Whatever
Oh are you serious I thought it was one per window my bad

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I got the update a while back and had no problems. If worst comes to worst, backup all of your important files and reset it. I had to do that once or twice thanks to a really slow Intel Atom netbook I had 4 years ago.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Professional Whatever
Yeah I think I might grab my shit and format. I'm getting a little sick of system restoring daily.

Thanks for helping guys.