Quote's Halloween Skin Question

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:35 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
So is Quote's Halloween skin supposed to be his beta design?
Personally I've always liked to think of it as a nice nod back to his original design, but I think it's entirely possible it's just a spooky vampire or zombie or something too.
So what do you guys think? Is there any official statement on this? What's the general consensus on this forum?

Pic for comparison:
conspiracy.png

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't recall that ever being confirmed.

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:03 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
My guess would be Quote's Halloween costume was somewhat inspired by Beta Quote, but then was made to look like zombie . . . And also have the smile of someone that is coming to kill their best friend.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:01 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Hahaha! I never noticed that before. I always thought it was weird Quote had red eyes in the beta. Why is that?

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:06 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Probably to make him stand out from the background, which was really blue. The change was likely made to red for the same reason, because the halloween character blends in a bit. I think it's a bit of a nod to the beta sprite, but I could be wrong.

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:01 PM
Hahaha! I never noticed that before. I always thought it was weird Quote had red eyes in the beta. Why is that?

When I first saw Halloween Quote, witch was before I saw Beta Quote I thought, "CURLY STOP TALKING TO HIM, HE IS GOING TO KILL YOU."

Probably to make him stand out from the background, which was really blue. The change was likely made to red for the same reason, because the halloween character blends in a bit. I think it's a bit of a nod to the beta sprite, but I could be wrong.

I think the reason why Beta Quote has red eyes is because with it being a bright color, it would be easier for the player to keep track of him, like now days Quote has bright blue eyes, and has a faded red color for his hat and pants, and I think this is to make him stand out, just like Beta Quote did.
So, I agree with the last part of the Halloween costume being a nod to Beta Quote, but it wouldn't explain his creepy smile . . . maybe that's why he never smiles.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:32 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Now that I think about it. He IS a robot. Maybe he wasn't planning to hide Quote's identity in the beta and was all like :

"DUDE HE IS A ROBOT AND HE HAS LEDs IN HIS EYES (Seizure Programming)"
~Totally Daisuke Pixel Amaya I swear

I'm really sorry you had to read that.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2015 at 8:53 PM
beep boop
Also, I believe that quotes design was at first extremely alike to the version we have now, and went through a whole bunch of design changes. There was a sprite timeline thing somewhere, but I forgot where...

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:59 PM
Also, I believe that quotes design was at first extremely alike to the version we have now, and went through a whole bunch of design changes. There was a sprite timeline thing somewhere, but I forgot where...

You mean this?
p210316-0-b5ysvyicmamjmzm.png

But, like what about Curly Brace, what changes did she go through?

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:23 PM
beep boop
You mean this?
p210316-0-b5ysvyicmamjmzm.png

But, like what about Curly Brace, what changes did she go through?
Yeah, I meant this.
Curly looks like she had a vast amount of changes.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:05 PM
Yeah, I meant this.
Curly looks like she had a vast amount of changes.

I REALLY want to know what Pixel was thinking when he created Curly, and redesigned her, After all it looks like Quote's 2000-2001 design is similar to his 2004 final design.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:15 PM
beep boop
1999 though. That sprite looks more serious. Along with the enemy. I'm more intrigued in that story than the beta.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Actually, Dr. Gero looks exactly like the "frog prince" character from the beta,
so I guess it's safe to assume that the beta at least influenced the design of Quotes clothing.