Quick Hell - A convenience mod

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:53 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This is the mod to go to if you're too lazy to play through the rest of Cave Story and just want to do Hell.

The screens posted are the only screens that are edited.
Screen1-1.png

Screen2-1.png

Screen3-1.png

Here's the v1.0 download, and here's the v1.1. The link will never die.

And no, I haven't stopped my other mod. I did this in about two hours, waiting to go to a doctor's appointment, out of boredom and inspiration.

And only four (or more depending on how you look at it) events are copied straight out of Boss Rush! Woo!

UPDATE LOG:

v1.2 (In progress)
- Weapon Trades room vastly upgraded
- Useful items now accessible
- Death script touched up
- Second secret added
- Even more weapon configuration ability (Missiles start at 1 and the first missile chest has infinite ammo upgrades, still infinite Polar Stars, etc.)
- Experience sparkly added to help with planning

v1.1
- Prefab done, second room (Weapon Trades) still in progress
- Cleaned up the scripting
- Death bug fixed (I think. Kinda forgot. ^_^:(
- More weapon configuration available (Infinite Polar Stars and more, not limited to the original's boundaries)
- Secret added

v1.0
- Started the mod
- First room done, second and Prefab in progress
- Autosave when entering Hell
- No items, only weapons
- Limited health/ammo configuration (Missiles start at 5, can be upgraded to the same amounts as in Boss Rush's Nonstop mode, same-ish with Health)

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
thank you for this!
2 suggestions
1. i don't think there should be an auto save in the hole, so it will be easier to prepare between runs, and decide when you want to start
2. whenever i retry, i start drowning :D

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:43 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Heheh

Orangedawg said:
2. whenever i retry, i start drowning :D
Oh, I bet I know the problem to this.
Did you retry without saving?
That means you ended up at the Start Point, and you walked into the water...
I had the same problem with my mod XD

It can be fixed if you add a flag jump for a flag that's set whenever a player begins a new game, and that gets cleared whenever they save.
You just need to have the flag jump them to event #0200 in the Start Point after they die, so it'll run the normal stuff, like fading in and playing music, etc...

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:27 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Actually, I think I know a better way to do this. If it works, you can check it out in the fix I'll edit this post with.

EDIT: I was wrong. Reviving Quote takes more than just a LI+ and TRA. I didn't try any SMC or END, though.

I'm doing a bit more with the flags and crap, updating the stuff before Hell.

EDIT AGAIN: I fixed this by saving the game at startup. I'll edit Head.tsc to make the death event immediately load profile.dat.
EDIT #3: Done. Looks pro and it's much faster than the usual death event.

<KEY<FAO0001<WAI0050<LDP<END

Feel free to use it.

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:58 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Wow, looks good! But I just made a save for when I play hell in normal Cave Story, copied it to another folder, then renamed it Hell.dat. That way, when ever I want to play hell with my weapons/stats, I just copy it to the cave story place, rename it to "Profile.dat" and play! So I find this very....not needed. But good job anyway. Before I download it, why is King and the rest of them at the start? O_O
:D

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Those would be the weapons. There's no experience Doritos to be gained outside Hell, though.

EDIT: I don't want to double post, but I made a second version. You can get all the trades at once if you so please.

The only problem is that the ceiling doesn't fall on you in the second room of Hell. I don't know what's causing it, and I don't know how to fix it.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:01 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
It's not that important, but the new areas you've added are painfully badly tiled... The NPC doesn't make sense either...

I'd reccomend you to simply place the player in the Prefab House (or maybe even in the King's Throne area (after beating the Undead Core, set the correct flags active), the treasure chests would blend in better in the Balcony-type areas)... I think the same flag activates the falling rocks in Balcony and Sacred Grounds, so that'd come automatically. And once in the prefab house, the player could save. Whenever trying a new combination [of HP and weapons], the player'd just have to start a new game.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:33 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
EDIT: I COMPLETELY MISREAD THE POST

Perhaps I might do that. It would be kinda mean, but still.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:33 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Giga said:
Those would be the weapons. There's no experience Doritos to be gained outside Hell, though.

EDIT: I don't want to double post, but I made a second version. You can get all the trades at once if you so please.

The only problem is that the ceiling doesn't fall on you in the second room of Hell. I don't know what's causing it, and I don't know how to fix it.

Yea, I found 3 things wrong with this mod so far.

1.All the rooms in hell don't quake anymore. It just isn't hell if the whole room is not shaking
2.Hell B2 no longer has the falling blocks. Makes it too easy.
3.Why don't we get a lifepot?

To fix numbers 1 & 2, you just need to use a <FL+1341, to make the entities quake and block generator appear. And give us back our life pot please.

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:58 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Your three problems have all just been fixed, GIRakaCHEEZER.

Yal, I'm not going to do that. I'll keep my crappy maps and bad item placement instead of doing it all again with maps someone else made.

This is turning out to take much more work than I originally planned. =D

EDIT: By the way, there's currently a secret in v1.1. I'd like someone to find it and tell me how they like it. Spoiler tags if you must. =D