Questions about moding a game.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:12 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
What programs do you guys use to mod the game

the image files cavestory uses, the pbm files, cant be edited with paint or photoshop cs3.

how do you guys go about editing the text or the dialog of the game?

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:26 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
i downloaded this program to convert bmp files to pbm files but cavestory still doesnt load.

its clear you guys have all read successfully modded cavestory. so what do i got to do create my own mod?

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:54 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The PBM files can be modified by Photoshop. They're just BMP files renamed.

Most of the tools you need to mod this game are, from what I can tell, in the Sticky thread of the Rom Editing/Hacking forum. I'd recommend starting there.

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:22 AM
will do

but when i edit the bmp files and rename them back to pbm (portable bit map) it doesnt work.

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:31 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
The Images are protected by "Pixel C" or something like that which is drawn in the end of each picture. When you run Doukutsu.exe, it checks for the sign (Pixel C) on all the pictures. Modders find that it is annoying to put that sign in each picture so they hack the Doukutsu.exe using such an amazing program called "Xvi32". You can find it here: http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/ .
Hack the Doukutsu.exe and try to find "Pixel C" sign and then change its value (I don't know how to call this thing, value?) to 00000 ....... That or something like that I am not sure, Wait for the others.

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:31 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jun 9, 2007 at 4:05 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
If you do release your mod once you are done, you should be sure to put the (C)Pixel in all of your pictures, as a lot of people, like me, don't feel like editing their program to play your mod.

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:13 PM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
If you do release your mod once you are done, you should be sure to put the (C)Pixel in all of your pictures, as a lot of people, like me, don't feel like editing their program to play your mod.

You can zip the exe and send it too :(

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:40 PM
hey S. P. Gardebiter

i all ready found that link shortly after i posted but all of yoru links or at least most are gone. if you need hosting or something i can help you out

but most of the faqs and programs are missing! :(

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:05 PM
Hoxtilicious
Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:

With outdated stuff :(

f-ram.net said:
hey S. P. Gardebiter

i all ready found that link shortly after i posted but all of yoru links or at least most are gone. if you need hosting or something i can help you out

but most of the faqs and programs are missing! :(

I've got my reasons why I turned downloads down, if you want new versions of programms, tell me and Ill send them to you with my email adress.

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:19 AM
i simply want to edit the pbm files for now but would also be interested in changing the text of the game from curly to quote. so if you got the programs i need to do these changes or the faqs or whatever then please send! :(

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:02 PM
guy i all ready edited the spirts but when converting back to pbm they dont work cause i guess i need to but (C) Pixel at the botom right of every image or something right?

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:53 PM
Hoxtilicious
f-ram.net said:
guy i all ready edited the spirts but when converting back to pbm they dont work cause i guess i need to but (C) Pixel at the botom right of every image or something right?

Well, there is a way of deleting the need for (C)Pixel, it was somewhere posted in the forums...

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:19 PM
yes i finally used the right search query (sprite) and found a bunch of threads talking about it

i kept using queries like "edit quote" or "change look"

but yes i found out all about adding (C)Pixel using a hex editor to pbm files, keeping them 16 or 32 or etc.. and/or editing the exe file to not look for (C)Pixel!

now im looking into changing the 11 times the word Curly is shown to Quote and the 3 times the word Quote is shown to Curly then the X amount of times Curly is referred to as a her to him. then ill have my Play as Curly patch! ;)

If anyone would be so kind as to easily tell me how to edit the text please don't mind telling me now, but im gonna go ahead and look for it using the power of the search tool!

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:22 PM
Hoxtilicious
f-ram.net said:
yes i finally used the right search query (sprite) and found a bunch of threads talking about it

i kept using queries like "edit quote" or "change look"

but yes i found out all about adding (C)Pixel using a hex editor to pbm files, keeping them 16 or 32 or etc.. and/or editing the exe file to not look for (C)Pixel!

now im looking into changing the 11 times the word Curly is shown to Quote and the 3 times the word Quote is shown to Curly then the X amount of times Curly is referred to as a her to him. then ill have my Play as Curly patch! ;)

If anyone would be so kind as to easily tell me how to edit the text please don't mind telling me now, but im gonna go ahead and look for it using the power of the search tool!

Sue's Workshop...

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:28 PM
hehehe i was JUST about to edit my above post saying

GOT IT! Silly me it was literally right in front of me when i was typing my above post.

aww i got that huge sense of accomplishment. ;)

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:12 PM
the artwork at the end of the game. where are those images stored in the package?
i found the pbm files for everything else except the ending art. i want to replace quote with curly and curly with quote ;)

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:29 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
It's stored in the EXE itself. You have to use "resource hacker" to get at them.