Quality Test for Cave Story+

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So I want to do some recording of Cave Story+ on Steam. But I'm unsure what resolutions result with the best quality. I first recorded the game in Windowed mode and then in fullscreen at my native resolution 1600x900. While the higher resolution of 1600x900 resulted in a sharper image, it also cropped a little bit of the screen out of the picture for some reason. One of my friend's suggested I put my computer in a 4:3 resolution and try recording, and so I did. But I'm still unsure which looks best.

I would like to record in Windowed mode, as the higher resolution would like a waste as the game is pretty pixely. But I'm unsure how to keep the video from smoothing out the pixelyness.

Any help is much appreciated. c: Here are those tests. I'm using Dxtory to record.

Windowed
http://youtu.be/ZDwKVUIKDkY
Fullscreen 16:9
http://youtu.be/6A3YiKfKqo8
Fullscreen 4:3

http://youtu.be/JU8-cgbw3pU
Again, I thank you for taking the time to read all of this.

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You know about the graphics menu, the display scaling should be set to "sharp", right?
If it's your video software then I don't know how to fix it.

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Meh, whatever works for you. I personally like the full screen one.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Noxid said:
You know about the graphics menu, the display scaling should be set to "sharp", right?
If it's your video software then I don't know how to fix it.
Yeah, for whatever reason when its set to sharp, it zooms in a little, and a small portion of the top and bottom of the video get cropped out. Which is the reason why I don't want to do 16:9.

Though looking at the Youtube videos, I just realized it doesn't look all that blurry... maybe it was just VLC smoothing out the pixelyness in the windowed video.

Parkraft123 said:
Meh, whatever works for you. I personally like the full screen one.
Which fullscreen video? There is two, but for some reason the 4:3 one shows up as a link and not an embedded video. Well don't I just suck when it comes to forums.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Alright so you should try changing your monitor's resolution to a 4:3 resolution, hitting sharp in settings, and recording like that. If possible change your resolution to 640 by 480, as that's CS+'s native resolution.

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dunc2403 said:
Alright so you should try changing your monitor's resolution to a 4:3 resolution, hitting sharp in settings, and recording like that. If possible change your resolution to 640 by 480, as that's CS+'s native resolution.
I did try that, but the video for it won't show up on the forum post for some reason.

http://youtu.be/JU8-cgbw3pU

I will try to put my computer in 640 x 480. Thank you for that. ^_^

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
You can instead find the CS+ exe, right-click on it, select properties and set it to run in 640x480 resolution under compatibility settings. That way you don't need to change the resolution system-wide every time you play.

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
andwhyisit said:
You can instead find the CS+ exe, right-click on it, select properties and set it to run in 640x480 resolution under compatibility settings. That way you don't need to change the resolution system-wide every time you play.
Oooh, thats awesome. Thank you. I will certainly use that.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How can I set CS+ to a 16:9 full screen? the black bars on my screen make me kinda mad :/

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Aug 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Don't worry. Those bars are probably less annoying than super-stretched-out graphics, anyway. :p