PXT Sound Editing Tool

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:55 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Here's a sound editing application I wrote, akin to PixTone but I think, much better. It's backwards-compatible with the PXT format used in Cave Story, which means you can use it to edit all the sounds in Cave Story and then put them back in and they will play in-game. I included a separate program to automate the extraction/importing process just for this purpose that may be of interest to modders.

See screenshots here:

http://www.kravmagamoscow.com/kate/shot1.jpg
http://www.kravmagamoscow.com/kate/shot2.jpg

If you like it, please send me a copy of something you made with it. It doesn't have to be all that good, I just think it would be neato.

See the readme's for all kinds of info. There's some non-obvious shortcut features listed in the one for SeaTone which you will probably want to know about, so you should read them.

http://filesip.com/pfiles/160/tone_pusher_rev1.zip (222K)

If the link goes down, post here and let me know.

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Can I have permission to upload this to the tribute site?

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:36 PM
Hoxtilicious
Epic.

This tool is awesome D:

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:06 PM
Been here way too long...
Why the sad face?

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:14 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
It would be nice if you could create a pusher for orgmaker as well as for Cave Story. That way, if you wanted to use custom tones in a mod, you could hear how they sound in orgmaker before importing them into the mod.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:06 PM
andwhyisit: Yes no problem. For the record, consider the license freeware - can be freely distributed as long as credit is given (to "sshsigi" is fine). I'm not sure whether I want to release the source or not yet, so if anybody is interested in it, contact me about it.

wedge of cheese: OrgMaker uses WAVE resources for it's drums, not PXT's. You can use the "Export Wave" functionality and a tool like ResHacker (although some of the WAVE's in there don't work, I'm not sure what's up with that). When you mentioned testing sounds in OrgMaker I thought of a C module I have which can play Org's just like the game does. I haven't released that yet because I was going to make a OrgMaker-type program to go with it which would be "clip based" sort of like Acid Pro and some other nice features. That editor program is still in beta. Right now I am working on an image editor program so the Org stuff is on hold for now. But I could make someone a .dll or something perhaps that would play Org's, if anyone needs it; that part is done.

FYI if you want to change the INSTRUMENT and not the drums in an Org, that's doable too; the instruments are 8-bit PCM sound clips of 256 bytes each and are stored back-to-back-to-back in the .exe resource called "WAVE100".

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:23 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
sshsigi said:
andwhyisit: Yes no problem. For the record, consider the license freeware - can be freely distributed as long as credit is given (to "sshsigi" is fine). I'm not sure whether I want to release the source or not yet, so if anybody is interested in it, contact me about it.
Okay, it's now uploaded.

http://cavestory.org/downloads/tone_pusher_rev1.zip

EDIT: Oh crap! I forgot to change the image link. :eek:

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:12 AM
I saw, neato. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with. I noticed later that I wrote in the readme people could email me about it if they wanted but maybe didn't make it clear where to get the address. For the record, you click "About" on the menu bar while in the normal mode (not envelope editor) and it pops up.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:20 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Celtic Minstrel pointed me at this thread because he said you, sshsigi, had a Winamp DLL to play .org files since JTE's is no longer online. If you do have one, would it be possible to get a download link for that?

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:29 PM
Hi CyberBot, no I do not have anything like that. What I do have is C source code I wrote for a module that is capable of playing back .org files through SDL sound. My offer was that if there are any programmers out there looking to write a program that uses .org files maybe we could exchange notes on the technical specs of the format and/or I could perhaps bundle my code up into some kind of .dll or library you could link into your project. I have not written anything yet that would be of interest to the end-user, although this playback module is fully operational.

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM
sshsigi, look at the thread directly below this one.
Now.

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:27 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
sshsigi said:
Hi CyberBot, no I do not have anything like that. What I do have is C source code I wrote for a module that is capable of playing back .org files through SDL sound. My offer was that if there are any programmers out there looking to write a program that uses .org files maybe we could exchange notes on the technical specs of the format and/or I could perhaps bundle my code up into some kind of .dll or library you could link into your project. I have not written anything yet that would be of interest to the end-user, although this playback module is fully operational.
This may be of interest then:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nt2zkmdmyuz

That has the source code for JTE's Winamp Plugin.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Does anyone know, is the pusher incompatible with Sue's Workshop? 'cause I wanna put one measly little custom sound effect in TWoR and it's not working.

Code:
Scanning sound loader routine...
 <> Endofsound fail: e8 expected 6a
 <> Failed processing sound loader.
 <> Check that you chose the correct EXE.

I didn't start immediately with trying to edit the TWoR exe but started with a random Doukutsu.exe that only had a few minor SW edits, and no assembly hacks and I got the above error message.

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:57 AM
try it on cs, then a ce edited one.
if worst comes to worst, open twoggles with ce and save it. (which moight fix it, iunno)