PSA: PLEASE DISREGARD SPAM THREADS

May 7, 2014 at 1:49 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Any spambot posts / VMs will be cleaned up by a moderator as soon as one checks the forums, we browse by newest first so there really isn't anything we're going to miss. Replying, and even reporting them really just makes more work for us to clean it up in the long run. Be patient, if it stays there for more than a day, THEN you can assume we're all dead and/or the gods have forsaken you. Until then, save the reports for something important, like someone hurting your feelings or posting goatse.

Love,
~Noxid

May 7, 2014 at 3:53 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Yeah, I did this once. I didn't realize how many people you had to tell to this until afterwards...

May 7, 2014 at 3:57 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Yeah, considering how often this happens, this thread should be pinned or put in the rules or something.

May 7, 2014 at 4:30 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I was unsure whether the threads should be reported or not. Some of us want to help combat spam, and if that means just ignoring them then I guess that's what I'll do. Thanks Noxid, though I wonder why reporting would make it more work; doesn't it alert you sooner?

May 7, 2014 at 4:39 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Turn this into the site's banner

May 7, 2014 at 4:59 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Random-storykeeper said:
I was unsure whether the threads should be reported or not. Some of us want to help combat spam, and if that means just ignoring them then I guess that's what I'll do.
Ditto, though thanks for the heads up.

May 7, 2014 at 12:01 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Random-storykeeper said:
I was unsure whether the threads should be reported or not. Some of us want to help combat spam, and if that means just ignoring them then I guess that's what I'll do. Thanks Noxid, though I wonder why reporting would make it more work; doesn't it alert you sooner?
basically what happens right now is, I check the forums, remove the spam, then eventually go to the report center and remove those. I check the forums more often than I check my email so it isn't usually news to me.

May 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Yeah it's definitely faster to simply pop on, see what's new and disassociate it if necessary, and unfortunately we're kinda past the stage of trying to identify spam accounts before they start posting these days

Maybe one day I'll trawl through the backend of the userlist and delete all the not-actually-real-person names

May 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I think we should have a special thread "Spambot's post here" set aside just for the spambots, so that the mods don't have to remove the
threads and have more headaches then necessary.

Just shut up bombchu, shut up.

Yes, this is a good thing, I keep seeing more and more of these comments on Nox's profile.

May 8, 2014 at 2:31 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Keep in mind though that this only applies to "spam threads", as in threads created by spambots. If you see bots spamming legit threads with "spam posts" then it is definitely recommended that you report those.

May 15, 2014 at 2:32 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Just thought I'd point out that the spambots are going back to status updates. Some people forget to check profile feed so...yeah. beware.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:20 AM
"Huzzah!"
Oh, probably should've looked at this topic first before replying to that spam post.
Sorry for the unnecessary work I caused...