Program that converts MID or MIDI to ORG?

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:10 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Anyone know of a free one?

Also is there a program that lets you play ORG files without adding them into a CS.exe file?

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:29 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Nothing on the tribute site says so.

As for playing ORGs, Use OrgMaker 1.34 or 2.05x (Translated version with the drums in the correct spots)

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:13 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Vercci said:
Nothing on the tribute site says so.

As for playing ORGs, Use OrgMaker 1.34 or 2.05x (Translated version with the drums in the correct spots)

Thanks for the info but is there really no way to convert the two?

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
They generate their sounds different ways, so I'd guess not (I'm no sound engineer or know enough to definitively explain the technical side of things) But you can make midi's sound different based on the player you use (For example, Cave Story Wii MIDIs played ingame vs Window's Synth Table). ORG sounds are generated through the computer so they sound the same regardless of the operating system's settings (Although system setups can screw with it)

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
There are many audio convert programs throughout the internet. I just don't think they do that. You can still search though. But I agree, it would be a very useful tool specially for someone making a mod for CS. Someone's gotta make this idea take off!

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:39 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The difference between ORG and MIDI is simple:

• Both are "Note" based formats:
  • The samples of an ORG file, are kept in the programm itself. An ORG file is just a bunch of data, that saves notes and instrument numbers etc. Aslong as you have the same unmodified player programm, you will hear the same samples.
  • MIDI files are something like "script" files. They contain instructions for the soundcard. (i.e. Play Instrument 1 for 5 secounds) The samples come from the soundcard, so everyone who hasn't got the same soundcard (which is in most cases true), is hearing a different sample for the instruments.

It is not impossible to convert MIDI's to ORG's. But there will be some trouble, because an org file only has 8 instruments and 8 different drums. And they can only play one note at one time.
Shouldn't be a problem for someone who knows how to do stuff though.

ericjlima said:
Thanks for the info but is there really no way to convert the two?

There is a way, but noone has written a programm yet for doing it automaticly.
You can still do it manual.

!!!H0 said:
There are many audio convert programs throughout the internet. I just don't think they do that.

I'm 100% sure they won't. Because .org isn't a common file format. But maybe someone has written a specialized programm that converts ORG to MIDI files or the other way round. I highly doubt that though.

And btw.: ORG and MIDI files, are not audio files.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM
Banned
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I'm going to go out of my lurking mode for one second here, and say that it should be easy to import the rythm, due to the fact MIDIs and ORGs both use a piano based format, the hard part would be changing the instruments to make them sound right.

And even if I'm wrong, which I probably am becuase I have no frickin' idea how this stuff works, you could just open up the MIDIs in Audacity and do it manually, may be time consuming, but it's a way to turn a MIDI into an org.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM
Hoxtilicious
Like I said: You won't have an easy time to convert it, since MIDI allows instruments to play several notes at once. Orgmaker doesn't.

UltimaLink said:
And even if I'm wrong, which I probably am becuase I have no frickin' idea how this stuff works, you could just open up the MIDIs in Audacity and do it manually, may be time consuming, but it's a way to turn a MIDI into an org.

What?

Again: MIDI's are not audio Files >_>
Or is Audacity able to read the notes from a MIDI file?
I guess not.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:52 PM
Banned
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
S. P. Gardebiter said:
What?

Again: MIDI's are not audio Files >_>
Or is Audacity able to read the notes from a MIDI file?
I guess not.

File>Import>MIDI...

Done it with many songs, you just can't edit them.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM
Hoxtilicious
UltimaLink said:
File>Import>MIDI...

Done it with many songs, you just can't edit them.

Yes of course you can import it, but how will you look at the notes?
Without notes you have to do it by ear, and its quite hard to do that.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Yes of course you can import it, but how will you look at the notes?

Eh, have you even tried it?
I just opened one of those CS Wii midi things in audacity and all the notes appear to be layed out right there...

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:47 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Jazz Midi Sequencer could also do the trick of reading the notes. I use that, haven't dared downloading Audacity yet.

I've actually tried opening ORG files in MODPlug Tracker as well, but I didn't even get a "file format unrecognized" error. I might try opening Pxtone files with it though, since they essentially are tracked formats, they should be able to be understood by other trackers.

By the way, today I noticed that Kindred has managed to make a DLL that allows Game Maker to play Pxtone music. For GM users, follow This Link.

May 16, 2010 at 11:02 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
S. P. Gardebiter said:

Not for talented musicians such as ourselves!