Profile.dat hacking question

Aug 5, 2005 at 3:08 AM
Relic Form
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
sorry if this sounds rather n00bish, but, I need help!

okay, I read the FAQ on how to hack the Cave Story Profile.dat, but it dosen't tell you what program to use! nothing I have can open .dat files properly. I get the sinking feeling not many people here have hacked Cave Story, but it's better to try and fail, than not to try at all, right?

oh, I'm at Monster X in the three HP run, and I'm having a hell of a time (all weapons are level three, which is not good...)

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:50 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hmm. Much as I hate to admit it, I'm stupid. The guide for .dat hacking isn't really a guide, just a list of numbers. So, how about explaining how to use the hex editor? I've tried over-writing values in accordance with the alpha-numerics in the guide, but when I save the edits and test it, not only does the change not take effect, but the entire game restarts like the save isn't even there.

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:17 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Is there a certain byte to change that changes what save disk I'm at?

Jan 29, 2006 at 3:04 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
genius314 said:
Is there a certain byte to change that changes what save disk I'm at?

Good question, I was wondering that myself. I don't think there's a byte that changes which save disk you're at, I think it just saves the number of the level you're on and the coordinates of where you were when you saved (which should always be a save disk). I really ought to investigate my proposal, though, because if what I just said is true, you could change your save files to save anywhere. Literally.

EDIT: Breakthrough. The hex address is 8, or the ninth character. It's the first character after the necessary "Do041220". It refers to which level you saved at. If you're not sure which room is level 08, or 34, or whatever, just open Miza or Sue's Workshop. Where it has the names of the maps on the left side, there's a number before it. That's the level's number. Apparently all the save file records is which room you saved at, and then it loads Quote at the save disk point. For example, if the first part of the save file is Do0412206, the 6's decimal equivalent is 54, which means the game was saved in room/level 54, namely the "Side Room" in the Egg Corridor.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:39 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Wow, it worked. Tried the value 4E, and ended up in the flying away in the helicopter scene. :)

(Time to get a speedrun score of only a few seconds! :)

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:44 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
um, no clue wat you guys said.......... anyhoo, can sum one help me learn to use sue's workshop? i got the basics.... i think

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:13 PM
Pkay
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
In case anybody's still interested, using the aforementioned hex editor I've started to work out how to hack a profile, using the values from the guide.
p2825-0-dokutsuhack.png

Things like the background music and max/current health values, I guess values to input, as well as the map and horizontal spawning. I'm going to see if I can work out if there's anything I can do to make him simply start at a save disc, because I've had him spawning in the middle of a huge section of wall in the waterway, and even off the map entirely in smaller maps....

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:00 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ok not to be absoulutley stupid but what are you guys
talking about? i had a whole lot of problems and restarted
my games 3 times and was wondering if you could help me
restart parts of the game or go back to parts of it(if possible)
oh and what is the hex thing i know about the profile.dat file
if you can help thankyou just let me know soon so i dont restart
agin:(

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:08 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The moderators will move this thread soon, but just for future reference:
Please, please make sure you're creating threads in the right forum, and most importantly, use the Search feature before posting a thread, to make sure your question hasn't already been answered.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mr. Johnson said:
So, how about explaining how to use the hex editor?
The profile.dat hacking guides work on the basis that you understand hex editing. What you are suggesting is the equivalent of an ms word guide telling you in full detail on how to use a computer and Windows. It isn't that hard to find a guide to hex editing on the internet, and it isn't difficult to learn.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:40 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

andwhyisit said:
It isn't that hard to find a guide to hex editing on the internet, and it isn't difficult to learn.
Google --> Wikipedia --> Learned
:rolleyes:

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:47 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Google --> Wikipedia --> Learned
:D
Which is, incidentally, the correct way to learn anything and everything.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:51 AM
Hoxtilicious
andwhyisit said:
The profile.dat hacking guides work on the basis that you understand hex editing. What you are suggesting is the equivalent of an ms word guide telling you in full detail on how to use a computer and Windows. It isn't that hard to find a guide to hex editing on the internet, and it isn't difficult to learn.

You're replaying to a 3 year old post oo'

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
You're replaying to a 3 year old post oo'
In reality I was directing that at six posts from this thread, including the recent one, but it related most of all to that post that I quoted.