Problem in Game Maker 7

May 29, 2012 at 2:53 AM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I'm making a little experimental platform game to get used to Game Maker, but I ran into a problem. I made the player character so that when you push the button to walk forward, it shows an animation of him walking and when I was testing it, for some reason when I would walk forward he would start sinking and three squares later, he would get stuck and the only way to get free is to jump. how do I solve this problem?

May 29, 2012 at 3:06 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
You're going to need to give us a little more info than that. First off, is your solid terrain made up of tiled objects? Maybe you could put up a screencap of the player's scripts?

May 29, 2012 at 4:07 AM
Here you go. I hope this is helpful

Attachments

• $56E2D5EA7696FB4A.jpg
    $56E2D5EA7696FB4A.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 22
May 29, 2012 at 5:12 AM
meep
Well uhh, more importantly I'd wanna look at the moving and jumping events, one "set the vertical speed" tells me nothing. Would you be okay with uploading the project file somewhere so I can take a look?

May 29, 2012 at 3:38 PM
I'll do that, hopefully, when I get home.

May 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Just to let you know, these people will most likely be able to help you out a lot better than any of us at the CSTSF.

May 31, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Well uhh, more importantly I'd wanna look at the moving and jumping events, one "set the vertical speed" tells me nothing. Would you be okay with uploading the project file somewhere so I can take a look?

How exactly do I do this again? I tried attaching the file to this post, but it wouldn't up load it. I have the file with me so please tell me how to do this and I'll give you the file.

EDIT: the sooner the better

May 31, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Based Member
IP Board attachments aren't a very practical way of sharing files over a few hundred kilobytes. Instead, upload it to Mediafire and give us a link. Again, I would recommend the YoYoGames forums for help, as that place is packed with experts on game maker.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Been here way too long...
the gmc would probably be a better place (as has been said). I believe your problem can be solved by only setting the gravity when there isn't an object below you, but I haven't used drag and drop in ages. move on to the internal scripting language as soon as you can.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Jun 3, 2012 at 3:10 AM
meep
Ah, the problem is that you have the object's mask set to "same as sprite," so each time he hits the separate walking frame with higher legs he sinks down until they touch, making him stuck in the ground when it ticks back to the standing frame.
Just set the mask option on the left sidebar of the hero object to "standing," that should do it.
The parameters for "if there is a collision at position" under step also need to be 0 for X and 1 for Y.

If he's still getting stuck when you first try to move, just move the object up a few pixels in the room.

Also I'd recommend setting the "speed" under room settings to 60, it'll make the game feel a lot smoother.